GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (MeyerLansky), 724 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,032
DE NIRO 44,954
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,461
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,834
Posts1,070,204
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Best Players In The NHL Today #272236
01/14/06 05:56 PM
01/14/06 05:56 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline OP
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline OP
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Who does everyone think is the best player in the NHL at the present time?
Although I would like to pick Ed Belfour, Eric Lindros, Bryan McCabe, Alexander Steen, Mats Sundin or Darcy Tucker, at the present time, my vote has to go to Jaromir Jagr. My vote for best Goaltender is Dominik Hasek. What does everybody else think?

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272237
01/14/06 11:54 PM
01/14/06 11:54 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
For goaltender, I would have to say Martin Brodeur. three shutouts in five games, leading the shutout department for most shutouts by an active goaltender, not to mention 3 stanley cups under his belt, a 2002 gold medal, world cup championships, and various other awards.

For rookie, i would probobly say Ovchekin(sp?). Crosby is over-rated and hasn't been living up to his hype, Parise, while doing a great job filling in for Elias the other night against the Canucks, isn't exactly the top rookie.

Best all-time player IMO would most likely be either Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, or Wayne Gretzky.

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"
Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272238
01/15/06 10:25 AM
01/15/06 10:25 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by scarfacetm:

Best all-time player IMO would most likely be either Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, or Wayne Gretzky.
Cam Neely over Gordie Howe? And " either " Gretzky, Orr or Neely?

IMO Gretzky is on a level, all by himself. The all time best.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272239
01/15/06 10:48 AM
01/15/06 10:48 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
I'll take it even one step further:

I think that Gretzky was the most dominant and far and away the best player in any of the major sports.

Better and more dominant, compared to the other players, than Babe Ruth in baseball, Michael Jordan in basketball, and I'm not even sure who I think is the greatest and most dominant ever in football.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272240
01/15/06 03:45 PM
01/15/06 03:45 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by scarfacetm:
[b]

Cam Neely over Gordie Howe? And " either " Gretzky, Orr or Neely?

IMO Gretzky is on a level, all by himself. The all time best.

Don Cardi [/b][/quote]I say either because in all likelyhood, had Mario Lemeuix not of suffered the injuries or illnesses that he has, he was on pace to break alot of Gretzky's records. Neely has a great reputation here in Boston and would most likely of had a memorable career to put him on that level of all time greats had his career not of been cut short like it was.

While Gretzky was good, I personally think he may have been a tad bit over-rated. If you want to throw in past players, then I would of said Jacques Plante was the all-time best goaltender over Brodeur. Gordie Howe is one of the best, no doubt about it. Also worth mentioning is Phil Esposito and Ray Bourque.

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272241
01/15/06 04:54 PM
01/15/06 04:54 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline OP
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline OP
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Alhtough this thread was supposed to be about who you think is the best player in the nhl TODAY, we seem to be discussing all time greats now. Scarfacetm, I totally respect your opinion but to say that Wayne Gretzky was "overrated" is kinda like saying that God is "overrated." The Great One's stats:

894 Goals, 1963 Assists, 2857 Points
122 G, 260 A, 382 P (Playoffs)

Every one of the above stats is an all time record that may never be broken. Not to mention #99 won 4 Stanley Cups, 3 Canada Cups, 10 Art Ross Trophies, 9 MVPs, 2 Conn Smythe Trophies (Playoff MVP), 5 Lester B. Pearson Trophies, 5 Lady Byng Trophies, 3 All-Star Game MVPs and he was a 15 time All-Star.

He played 20 seasons, 1 487 games, and held 61 records at the time of his retirement. In addition to the records he holds that I stated above, he also holds the records for most Goals in a season (92), most Assists in one season (163) and most Points in one season (215) among many, many others.

Wayne Gretzky is called the "Great One" because he was the greatest player to ever play the game of Hockey and there most likely will never be another player of his skill again.

http://www.waynegretzky.com

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272242
01/16/06 09:23 PM
01/16/06 09:23 PM
massachusetts
scarfacetm Offline
Underboss
scarfacetm  Offline
Underboss
massachusetts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jasani:
Alhtough this thread was supposed to be about who you think is the best player in the nhl TODAY, we seem to be discussing all time greats now. Scarfacetm, I totally respect your opinion but to say that Wayne Gretzky was "overrated" is kinda like saying that God is "overrated." The Great One's stats:

Every one of the above stats is an all time record that may never be broken. Not to mention #99 won 4 Stanley Cups, 3 Canada Cups, 10 Art Ross Trophies, 9 MVPs, 2 Conn Smythe Trophies (Playoff MVP), 5 Lester B. Pearson Trophies, 5 Lady Byng Trophies, 3 All-Star Game MVPs and he was a 15 time All-Star.

He played 20 seasons, 1 487 games, and held 61 records at the time of his retirement. In addition to the records he holds that I stated above, he also holds the records for most Goals in a season (92), most Assists in one season (163) and most Points in one season (215) among many, many others.

Wayne Gretzky is called the "Great One" because he was the greatest player to ever play the game of Hockey and there most likely will never be another player of his skill again.

http://www.waynegretzky.com
Mark Messier won 6 stanley cups, numberous older playes have won more as well as numberous other awards. By saying hes a tad bit over rated, I mean that people expect alot from him because of how he was as a player, yet his Phoenix Coyotes are doing pittiful this year, not to mention i have a personal vendetta for him calling the New Jersey Devils "nothing but a mickey mouse organization" when he played for Edmonton, which as we have seen, the Devils are far from a mickey mouse organization. He did too much in too little a time and people hold him in high graces because of that expecting him to be a good coach as well, which, though he isn't a bad coach, I wouldn't call him a great one either.

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272243
01/16/06 10:09 PM
01/16/06 10:09 PM
Staten Island / New Jersey
Just Lou Offline
Just Lou  Offline

Staten Island / New Jersey
Cam Neely?

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272244
01/16/06 10:35 PM
01/16/06 10:35 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline OP
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline OP
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Scarfacetm, Although I still disagree with you, I better understand your position now. Lord knows if a player of the stature of Gretzky called my Maple Leafs a "mickey mouse" organization I wouldn't really take a shine to him either.

You are correct in your assessment though, that because he was such a gifted, amazing and dynamic player people expect him to move mountains and give sight to the blind. The Phoenix Coyotes are in the position they are in now (i.e. fighting to make the playoffs) because they simply don't have the talent to take on teams like the Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres. I do think that Gretzky has the hockey smarts to take Phoenix to the first round of the playoffs provided that Curtis Joseph can keep up his play in Goal, but beyond that, people have to realize that he is human.

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272245
01/17/06 10:00 AM
01/17/06 10:00 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by scarfacetm:

While Gretzky was good, I personally think he may have been a tad bit over-rated.
Quote:
The Great One's stats:

Not to mention #99 won 4 Stanley Cups, 3 Canada Cups, 10 Art Ross Trophies, 9 MVPs, 2 Conn Smythe Trophies (Playoff MVP), 5 Lester B. Pearson Trophies, 5 Lady Byng Trophies, 3 All-Star Game MVPs and he was a 15 time All-Star.

A tad bit overarated?

You are kidding me right?

And with all due respect, while I think that Lemeuix was a fantastic player and barring injury, could have been one of the greats, you cannot say "IF" and then use that "IF" to minimize Gretzky's greatness.

You also cannot go by his coaching when we are talking about his playing. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Some of the greatest coaches ever to coach the game were mediocore players when they played. And the opposite is also true that some of the greatest players ever to play the game were mediocore coaches. Remember when Espo coached the Rangers?

No one is even close to Gretzky as far as being The Greatest.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272246
01/17/06 12:57 PM
01/17/06 12:57 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Best players today are Martin St. Louis and Vinnie LeCavlier of the world champion Stanley Cup defending TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING.

As for the best ever...no question it was Gretzky.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272247
01/17/06 01:22 PM
01/17/06 01:22 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Who does everyone think is the best player in the NHL at the present time?
Although I would like to pick Ed Belfour, Eric Lindros, Bryan McCabe, Alexander Steen, Mats Sundin or Darcy Tucker, at the present time, my vote has to go to [b]Jaromir Jagr
. My vote for best Goaltender is Dominik Hasek. What does everybody else think? [/b]
DJ,

I apologize for getting off topic and hijacking your topic.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: The Best Players In The NHL Today #272248
01/17/06 08:47 PM
01/17/06 08:47 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline OP
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline OP
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lol! No problem Don C.