GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MeyerLansky, Big_Tuna93, 1 invisible), 538 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,966
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,678
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,548
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,917
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Top 10 Grind House Films #381924
04/04/07 11:22 PM
04/04/07 11:22 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
In anticipation of Friday's big opening of Robert Rodriguez's and Quentin Tarantino's Grindhouse, our buddies over at IGN have compiled their own 10 list of the best Grind House movies:

10. Please Don't Eat My Mother

A sentimental favorite... this movie might feature a man-eating plant with a sexy female voice, but this ain't no Little Shop of Horrors. Please Don't Eat My Mother! is a sexploitation horror-comedy spoof of Roger Corman's 1960 classic. The story follows a middle-aged man who acquires a plant with a taste for bugs, reptiles, canines and... you guessed it... nekkid ladies! Sure, it's a brain draining sleazefest, but that's what makes it so awesome.

9. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS is the over-the-top tale of a lady Nazi who conducted sadistic experiments to prove that women were more capable of enduring pain than men. You see where this is going, right? Anyway, she also happens to be a sexual fiend who discards her men by torturing and killing them once she's had her way with them. (Sounds like one of my ex-girlfriends.) The movie, which starred Dyanne Thorn in the title role, spawned several sequels and innumerable dirty thoughts.

8. Cannibal Holocaust

This 1980 movie caused a stir primarily because a lot of people thought it was real. Filmed on location in the Amazon, the story follows four documentary filmmakers who are making a movie about the area's primitive tribes. When the team disappears, a rescue mission is launched in hopes of finding the team alive. And even if you haven't seen the movie, you should pretty much be able to fill in the blanks from there. Cannibal Holocaust was banned in Italy shortly after its premiere, and the director, Ruggero Deodato, was accused of making a snuff film. Authorities didn't actually let him off the hook until he presented them with the real life actors that were seemingly slain on screen. Despite this, the flick is still banned in numerous countries because of its graphic gore, sexual violence and the legitimate killing of animals.

7. I Spit on Your Grave

Esteemed film critic Roger Ebert says I Spit on Your Grave is "a vile bag of garbage...without a shred of artistic distinction." So you know it's got to be good! The story, although calling it that might be a bit of a stretch, follows a woman who is attacked and raped by a group of men. That's the genuinely disturbing part, of course. The "fun" comes in when she gets her revenge and subsequently "cuts, chops, breaks and burns them all beyond recognition" -- this exquisite language actually appears on the film's poster. And while director Meir Zarchi has denied that his controversial film was intended to be exploitative in nature, we don't really care.

6. Vampyros Lesbos

With a name like Vampyros Lesbos, it's got to be good! This 1971 German film from director Jesus Franco is a classic example of the European exploitation film. The movie follows a young female lawyer who travels on a job assignment to an island where she encounters the mysterious, beautiful countess Carody. Basically, it's a budget take on Dracula with lesbian vampires. Now you're feelin' it.

5. Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

That's right... five S's! 1971's Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, was written, produced, scored, and directed, by star Melvin Van Peebles. It is the original blaxploitation film, but some critics argue that the movie, probably because it's so good, isn't an exploitation film at all. We think they're wrong. The film was groundbreaking because of its avant-garde visual style and also because it featured a tough black dude sticking it to the Man... and he doesn't get killed in the end!

4. Zombi 2

While the movie doesn't actually have any connection to the original Zombi (a recut-for-Europe version of Romero's Dawn of the Dead), the film sparked a zombie movie craze across Europe and made Italian filmmaker Lucio Fulci a horror icon. The flick is known for its sensational zombie antics such as the notorious "eye-gouging," and zombie vs. shark scenes. The flick was later released in the U.S. as Zombie, a standalone release with no connection to Romero's movies.

3. Vanishing Point

This 1971 carsploitation flick stars Barry Newman as Kowalski, a delivery driver who has lost everything and becomes a counterculture hero as he leads police on a crazy four-stage car chase. All the while Kowalski is guided by a blind radio DJ named Super Soul. Of course, it all ends in a flaming heap of metal, but even that is fun to watch. Newman might be billed as the star of the flick, directed by Richard C. Sarafian, but the real star is the Alpine White 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440/375 horsepower engine!

2. Coffy

Coffy is the 1973 blaxploitation film that launched the career of Pam Grier, who would follow up the flick with another genre classic, Foxy Brown. Here Grier plays the title role of a nurse-cum-vigilante who sets out on a one-woman war against crime after her sister becomes addicted to drugs. The movie, directed by Jack Hill, broke new ground by featuring a strong black woman as a lead. It's also notable for its strong anti-drug message -- a notion that was out of vogue in the early 1970s.

1. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

There's no denying that Russ Meyer's Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! is outrageously campy. But that hasn't stopped the film from becoming a cult classic. The flick centers on three sexy go-go dancers who go on a murderous rampage. It has plenty of crazy violence, gratuitous sexuality (although it does not have explicit nudity), and is known as one of the controversial filmmaker's most explicitly exploitative films.

Source: IGN

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Agree or disagree?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381926
04/04/07 11:32 PM
04/04/07 11:32 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Good post Irish. I remember seeing some of these movies on Beta, before you were even a thought! I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is the ultimate exploitative B movie ever!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381927
04/04/07 11:35 PM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
I've seen Cannibal Holocaust. Its Rob Zombie's favorite movie, I think.

It scared the shit out of my ex-boyfriend. Like, he cried.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381928
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thanks pizzaboy. The only movie I've seen from the list is Coffy, but I enjoyed Foxy Brown more. However, I did add all of them to my Blockbuster Online list. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get Please Don't Eat My Mother or Cannibal Holocaust as they're not offered.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: bogey] #381929
04/04/07 11:36 PM
04/04/07 11:36 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: bogey
I've seen Cannibal Holocaust. Its Rob Zombie's favorite movie, I think.

It scared the shit out of my ex-boyfriend. Like, he cried.

Did you enjoy it bogey?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381930
04/04/07 11:40 PM
04/04/07 11:40 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I loooove FOXY BROWN, but that's almost mainstream compared to some of the flicks on this list.

Thanks alot, now I can't get Pam Grier out of my head, I think I'll go pleasure myself.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381932
04/04/07 11:57 PM
04/04/07 11:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
No problem. If you own it or next time you're in Blockbuster rent my favorite Pam Grier movie, Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown. It's also my 2nd favorite QT film behind only The Kill Bills ;\)

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381933
04/05/07 12:01 AM
04/05/07 12:01 AM
under there
bogey Offline
Underboss
bogey  Offline
Underboss
under there
Enjoy isn't really the right word..

Appreciate.. I appreciated it.

Night Train to Terror (1985)... Now THERES a b-movie. Its got God and Satan, deciding the fates of 3 people. And in between that, theres a train-full of breakdancing teenagers, singing the same cheesy 80s-esque song over and over again. The first fate they decide is pretty good. The second was was okay. The third one lost my attention. But its got everything.. terrible acting, blood, and gore everywhere, the obligatory horror film tit shots.. Its a WEIRD movie, and I recommend watching it stoned.

Its too awesome for words.

President of the long_lost_corleone Fan Club
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381934
04/05/07 12:06 AM
04/05/07 12:06 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
No problem. If you own it or next time you're in Blockbuster rent my favorite Pam Grier movie, Quentin Tarantino's Jackie Brown. It's also my 2nd favorite QT film behind only The Kill Bills ;\)

You know Irish, I'm a huge fan of Elmore Leonard, the crime fiction author. JACKIE BROWN was based on his book RUM PUNCH, which was set in Florida, not California. It took me a long time to get past the fact that QT moved the action to the west coast, which I guess, is closer to his heart. Now, based on it's own merit, I now admit, it's a great movie. Pam Grier had to be damn near close to 50, and still, well you know, off I go...

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381935
04/05/07 12:09 AM
04/05/07 12:09 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
You think Russ Meyer had a thing for breastases ?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381936
04/05/07 12:11 AM
04/05/07 12:11 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12

You know Irish, I'm a huge fan of Elmore Leonard, the crime fiction author. JACKIE BROWN was based on his book RUM PUNCH, which was set in Florida, not California. It took me a long time to get past the fact that QT moved the action to the west coast, which I guess, is closer to his heart. Now, based on it's own merit, I now admit, it's a great movie. Pam Grier had to be damn near close to 50, and still, well you know, off I go...

A friend of mine read the book and I wanted to borrow it but I think he got rid of it already. How does the movie compare with it? I thought Samuel L. Jackson was magnificent as Ordell Robbie and maybe should have been nominated for another Oscar. The movie resurected both Pam Grier's and Robert Foster's careers. QT has a way of doing that (eh David Carradine) ;\)

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381937
04/05/07 12:20 AM
04/05/07 12:20 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Well QT made considerable changes and still made a fine movie. However, you MUST read the book RUM PUNCH on which it's based. But before you do that, read THE SWITCH, Elmore Leonard's first novel about Ordell and Louis, how they met in prison and the big score they tried to pull off when they were paroled in Detroit. Trust me, you'll love Elmore Leonard's books. He's the author of GET SHORTY and OUT OF SIGHT, among many others, that have been adapted for the big screen.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381938
04/05/07 12:31 AM
04/05/07 12:31 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Wow, I didn't know there was a prequel to RUM PUNCH. Thanks pizzaboy. I'll definitely look into that. Are you gonna see Grindhouse this weekend? I got tickets on Monday night for this Friday at 10:55 pm. But I'm showing up at least an hour early this time. This is the same theater we saw Sin City opening night. We got there 30 minutes beforehand and were in the front row. Seeing as how Grindhouse is a little over 3 hours, I think I'll be there early to get a better seat (one that's closer to the bathroom because they serve beer there and that stuff will just run through me by the time Planet Terror gets done)

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381939
04/05/07 12:44 AM
04/05/07 12:44 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Beer at the movies ? Fuggetaboutit, I'd be up and down all night. Only in Texas, huh ?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381940
04/05/07 12:48 AM
04/05/07 12:48 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'll see it during the week, in the afternoon. I can't take crowds at the movies anymore.

That reminds me, I should put up a thread, but I don't want to spoil it - I bought the novelization for SPIDER-MAN 3 yesterday, and like a big baby I went right to the last 10 pages. It's going to be VERY satisfying.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #381941
04/05/07 12:50 AM
04/05/07 12:50 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
One of the few great things \:D They got SOMETHING right. The name of the theater is The Alamo Drafthouse and was voted by Entertainment Weekly as the best movie theater in America! They have what they call a Growler (see pic below) that costs $35. It's 2 liters full of beer but the cool thing is, you obviously get to keep it but you can also bring it back with you anytime and get it refilled for the price of a pitcher of beer, which can cost anywhere from $18-$25. I got mine on Halloween last year during a screening of my favorite horror movie of all-time, Scream. I'm thinking of bringing it with me on Friday but I don't wanna be pissing throughout the whole movie like I did during Sin City With Sin City I got what they call a bucket of beer which is 5 beers for about $12-$15.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #381945
04/05/07 02:13 AM
04/05/07 02:13 AM
The House Of Blue Leaves
Nice Guy Eddie Offline
Underboss
Nice Guy Eddie  Offline
Underboss
The House Of Blue Leaves
I think she might have something to say about that list.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.

Get Hannitized

I support racial profiling.
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Nice Guy Eddie] #382676
04/07/07 04:55 AM
04/07/07 04:55 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Grindhouse ****
(First Viewing)

An homage to exploitation B-movie thrillers that combines two feature-length segments into one double-bill designed to replicate the grind house theatergoing experience of the 70s and 80s. In "Death Proof," a psycho named Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell) stalks and kills beautiful women with his car. In "Planet Terror," a small-town sheriffs' department has to deal with an outbreak of murderous, infected people called "sickos." A gun-legged woman named Cherry (Rose McGowan) and her martial arts-wielding partner (Freddy Rodriguez) take on the zombie army. The two films will be fused together by fake movie trailers.

THIS is why I go to the movies. For my money, it doesn't get any better than a Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino double-feature. Planet Terror I enjoyed for it's cast (Rose McGowan, Marley Shelton, Bruce Willis and Michael Parks) and also because it had the very grainy look to it that made it visually just look worn and beat down. Death Proof I probably enjoyed more because I'm biased towards Quentin Tarantino but also because Kurt Russell got to play a bad guy (not to mention the hotties: Vanessa Ferlito, Rosario Dawson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Not to mention the HILARIOUS trailer's such as Machete, Thanksgiving, Don't and Werewolf Women on the SS. To me, Quentin and Robert's last 2 efforts (Kill Bill and Sin City respectively) just seem to be more personal projects for these directors and it seems to show in the final product because I've enjoyed their latest films to their earlier work. I made a prediction that either 300 or Grindhouse would be my favorite movie of the year and after one viewing, I give the title to Grindhouse with 300 being a close 2nd. Finally, this is one movie that has to be seen on the big screen. Do yourself the favor, fork over the matinée price of $5.50-$6 and SEE THIS MOVIE IN THE THEATERS! Please don't wait for it to come on DVD.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #382691
04/07/07 08:26 AM
04/07/07 08:26 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I can't remember the last time I made the same post in three different threads.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #382815
04/07/07 04:42 PM
04/07/07 04:42 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Well in case no one frequents the other 2 threads, I made it available in all 3. OK?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #382816
04/07/07 04:44 PM
04/07/07 04:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
How'd Roasario look ?

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #382833
04/07/07 04:57 PM
04/07/07 04:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Just like she did from the stills, great. JoBlo had a poll up on their website asking if you you HAD TO sleep with only one of the hotties from Grindhouse, whom would you choose?

-Rosario Dawson
-Fergie (that ho from The Black Eyed Peas)
-Jordan Ladd
-Rose McGowan
-Sheri Moon (Rob Zombie's wife)
-Sydney Tamiia Poitier
-Marley Shelton
-Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Personally, I'd say

1) Rose McGowan
2) Rosario Dawson
3) Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #382835
04/07/07 05:00 PM
04/07/07 05:00 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Do they tell you which ones have clemydia?

I mean, it'd just make my choice so much easier.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: long_lost_corleone] #382836
04/07/07 05:01 PM
04/07/07 05:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone
Do they tell you which ones have clemydia?

I mean, it'd just make my choice so much easier.

Loffles kid

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #382837
04/07/07 05:03 PM
04/07/07 05:03 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Na, LLC you'll just have to take your chance. That's what makes it so interesting like the old Oregon Trail game for the PC. "You have died of dysentery" Choose wisely LLC ;\)

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Irishman12] #382838
04/07/07 05:07 PM
04/07/07 05:07 PM
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
I remember that game. You had to kill a bear. And then you had to eat it.

Good times.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #382984
04/08/07 10:36 AM
04/08/07 10:36 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I'll see it during the week, in the afternoon. I can't take crowds at the movies anymore.

Yeah, I know what you mean, pb, since you're from NYC. My brother, who lives in Brooklyn, says the same thing. People bring their squalling infants to the theater. Immigrants have loud conversations on their cellphones in their native languages. In one case, he said, a guy in front of him lit up a joint. "I could hear the seeds popping," he said.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Turnbull] #382990
04/08/07 10:53 AM
04/08/07 10:53 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That's it TB. You're brother is 100% right. I really can't think of an exception in ANY of the boroughs, with the possible exception of some art house places in the village. Which are great, but the film choices extremely limited. I usually drive up to some of the quieter towns in Westchester, like Pelham or Greenburgh. Yonkers is a waste of time because it's really just an extension of the Bronx, and the movie theaters there are just as bad, if not worse. As I've stated here on probably hundreds of posts, I'm very proud to be a lifelong New Yorker, but you can keep our movie theaters.

Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: pizzaboy] #383043
04/08/07 04:41 PM
04/08/07 04:41 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I always take a hammer and an ice-pick to the cinema with me now. I've had a violent confrontation many times with people talking.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Top 10 Grind House Films [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #383044
04/08/07 04:46 PM
04/08/07 04:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Are Brits any calmer at the movies than at soccer matches ?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull