GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (U talkin' da me ??, Liggio, RushStreet, 1 invisible), 580 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,007
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,417
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,832
Posts1,070,046
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael and Roth #479989
03/16/08 01:37 PM
03/16/08 01:37 PM
S
SenGeary Offline OP
Wiseguy
SenGeary  Offline OP
S
Wiseguy
One thing that was never clear to me was how did Michael know that it was Roth that tried to kill him at his home? (as he tells Frankie when he visits him in New York.)

By this point, it seemed as though it might have been Frankie based on the disagreement they had earlier that night...Roth and him were in on a big deal...Roth gave his approval in moving Klingman out.

So, obviously, Michael was right, but by this point in the film, what exactly told him that it was Roth? How was he so sure by the time he goes to Frankie?

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: SenGeary] #479994
03/16/08 02:37 PM
03/16/08 02:37 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
While people may (and will) argue as to whether there was a single "smoking gun" that made it obvious it was Roth, Michael must have had suspicions about Roth already. A few years back Michael had Roth's protege, Moe Green, murdered and now Michael was moving in on Roth's businesses in Las Vegas and Cuba. So Michael must have assumed that there would be a response at some point to this.

In addition Michael doesn't want to tip his hand to Roth because he still doesn't know who he can trust in his Family. Someone had (inadvertently or otherwise) to give Roth's gunmen access to Michael's estate, information about Michael's whereabouts, etc.

So he goes and does his "dutiful son" routine to Roth, who appears to eat it up. Notice that Roth does not appear to be saddened, frustrated or angry about the attempt on Michael's life.

Then Michael appears in NY, unbeknownst to Pentangeli, and lets his true feelings show. Pentangeli is frightened and angry but most importantly Michael gets the accurate sense that Pentangeli is too loyal to have made an attempt on his boss' life. Pentangeli is also not as skilled as hiding his true feelings as Roth is. If it wasn't Pentangeli then it was likely Roth.

If Frankie was hellbent on disobeying Michael he probably just would have started an open war with the Rosato Brothers, rather than take the much riskier step of killing a Family head.

While Roth obviously would have preferred that his hitters got Michael in Lake Tahoe, he also would have liked the possibility of an alive and enraged Michael launching a war against the Pentangeli faction of the Corleone Family.

Micahel gets confirmation of all this when he asks Roth "Who killed Pentangeli... Who gave the order? I know I didn't.."

Last edited by Lilo; 03/16/08 02:43 PM.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Lilo] #480059
03/16/08 06:56 PM
03/16/08 06:56 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Lilo

Micahel gets confirmation of all this when he asks Roth "Who killed Pentangeli... Who gave the order? I know I didn't.."

Well said Lilo!

And when Michael asks him who gave the go ahead,

Roth does not reply with an I don't know answer or a why do you care? The guy tried having you killed in your own home, kind of answer, but instead with the how DARE you ask me about Pentangeli! I never asked you about Moe Green! answer :

There was this kid I grew up with -- he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me ...... As much as anyone, I loved him -- and trusted him......Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order -- when I heard it, I wasn't angry... I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen -- I didn't ask who gave the order -- because it had nothing to do with business!

Roth, had hoped that Michael would blame Frankie Five Angels for the attempted hit in Tahoe and therefore himself would have ordered a hit on Frankie, which in turn would have given Roth and his Rosato brothers more power in New York and at the same time removed a much trusted ally to the Corleones in Frank Pentangeli. It was an attempt to try and weaken Michael that much more in what our friend Turnbull always refers to as the
great chess game between Roth and Michael.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Don Cardi] #480196
03/17/08 02:19 PM
03/17/08 02:19 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with all of the above. Plus, Frankie was too obviously set up as the fall guy for the shooting. What would Frankie have to gain from whacking Michael? To run his family without Michael on his back? He'd never get away with it. Frankie was, as Roth later said, "small potatoes."

I think Michael made a near-instantaneous calculation right after the shooting, and figured that Roth had far, far more to gain from his death. I think he saw very clearly in that moment that Roth resented Michael's relentless incursions on Roth's Nevada gaming empire and his designs on Havana. What's more, Roth was "legitimate"--where Michael wanted to be--and would continue to be legitimate after Michael was gone. But Frankie would still be a Mafia guy, with neither the "wit" (Michael's word about Zasa) or the imagination to achieve more.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael and Roth [Re: SenGeary] #481681
03/27/08 04:27 PM
03/27/08 04:27 PM
Poplar Bluff Missouri USA
Don_Staltavano Offline
Wiseguy
Don_Staltavano  Offline
Wiseguy
Poplar Bluff Missouri USA
I think that Freddie really told his broth mike the Hyman Roth was a trader to kill him

Don Staltavano
Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Don_Staltavano] #481756
03/28/08 09:57 AM
03/28/08 09:57 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Good insights here all around. In the boathouse scene Michael indirectly indicates to Tom he has an idea about who is behind this. He sais "If what I think happened, happened...." that there was serious trouble brewing. Note he left Tahoe immediately and headed straight to Miami to make Roth think he was blaming Pentangeli.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: dontomasso] #481768
03/28/08 11:18 AM
03/28/08 11:18 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael had another reason for leaving Tahoe that very night:

Michael knew that, although he was the target, Roth had no scruples about killing Kay or anyone who got in the way at Tahoe. So, by removing himself from Tahoe, he removed the target. More important: by sucking up to Roth, he bought precious time to protect himself and his family. His guiding principle, as he told Hagen before he left, was: think as those around you think.

Michael saw that Roth was very careful to mask his role in the Tahoe attack. Roth waited for Anthony’s party because he knew that Pentangeli would be there, contentious over Michael’s support of the Rosato Brothers. Frankie therefore had perfect motivation to kill Michael, and would have made a perfect patsy. Since the attack failed, Michael figured that Roth would have to strike again quickly, before Michael figured out that Pentangeli wasn’t the guilty party. By visiting Roth in Miami, by affirming that their deal was still good, and most important, by agreeing to go to Havana, Michael was helping Roth to find a reason to keep him alive until then, and to leave his family alone. That gave Michael time to figure out who the traitor was, and to plan Roth's demise.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Turnbull] #481810
03/28/08 02:00 PM
03/28/08 02:00 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I know this has been batted around before, but why did he take a train, and from where did it leave? I don't think there was a Tahoe-Miami expres back then, or ever for that matter.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: dontomasso] #481818
03/28/08 02:34 PM
03/28/08 02:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The nominal reason, I'm sure, was to give FFC a chance to shoot a more dramatic scene w/better lighting in a train compartment than in an airplane. It also gave us a better shot of the bodyguard, who we see for the first time.

But there may have been logical reasons, too:

Jet aircraft were introduced into US commercial aviation only a few months before that scene (December '58). If Michael had wanted to fly to Miami, he' have to take a puddlejumper from Tahoe to Vegas, the nearest "real" airport, and from there take a (probable) prop plane to either Chicago, St. Louis or Kansas City, and thence to Miami. It'd be arduous in any event. And, with that many stops, a foe could have had ample opportunity to attack him (look what happened to Roth at Miami International). So, Michael might have felt safer on a train, in a private compartment, with only his bodyguard inside. The longer time for travel also might have given him more opportunity to think.

You're probably right about Tahoe not being an express stop, or any stop, on a swift passenger train at that time. But I'll bet that Reno was--and Reno's only 61 miles from Tahoe. Or, he could have driven to Sacramento, another probable express stop--104 miles from Tahoe. Not Vegas, though--it's 453 miles from Tahoe.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Turnbull] #481857
03/28/08 07:54 PM
03/28/08 07:54 PM
Elmwood Park, Illinois
YoTonyB Offline
Neighborhood Guy
YoTonyB  Offline
Neighborhood Guy
Underboss
Elmwood Park, Illinois
I agree that the train was likely an exercise in dramatic license. Given the quickness of Michael's departure, his destination and the secrecy surrounding his trip, and the utter lack of communication channels at that time, I don't think a plane would have been any more risk than the train. I also don't think the train would have been any less arduous from Tahoe/Reno to Miami, though there was far greater rail service in the 1950's than there is today. It simply would have been a long trip.

Michael could have have boarded the California Zephyr or the City of San Francisco, both of which served northern Nevada on their routes between the Bay Area and Chicago. While Amtrak serves Reno today, I can't say for certain that it would have been a stop along the route of the two most prominent west coast trains of the day. However, there were station stops a short drive from Reno east or west on the those rail lines. Either of those two trains would have carried him directly to Chicago where he would have boarded another train, possibly the Illinois Central's City of Miami or the Pennsylvania's Southwind, with direct service to Miami. It's also possible he may have made his way to San Francisco where he could have boarded the Southern Pacific's "Sunset Limited" from San Francisco to New Orleans making a connection in the Crescent City to Florida.

Since, in theory, nobody but Michael knew his final destination, he must have felt the secrecy of his trip coupled with the speed of his departure minimized his risk. Moreover, I can't imagine anyone would have guessed that Michael would have immediately left Tahoe bound for Miami and a meeting/confrontation with Hyman Roth.

None-the-less, by train from Northern Neveda connecting through Chicago to Miami, or connecting through New Orleans to Miami...I gotta think that's a four or five day trip!

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"
Re: Michael and Roth [Re: YoTonyB] #481858
03/28/08 09:18 PM
03/28/08 09:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: YoTonyB

Since, in theory, nobody but Michael knew his final destination, he must have felt the secrecy of his trip coupled with the speed of his departure minimized his risk. Moreover, I can't imagine anyone would have guessed that Michael would have immediately left Tahoe bound for Miami and a meeting/confrontation with Hyman Roth.

Roth had to know, for two reasons:
First, he needed to be aware that Michael was coming so he'd be ready for their meeting--and to dispatch Johnny Ola to greet him and direct him to Roth's home.
Second, as I posted elsewhere: Immediately after the shooting, Michael was certain, or almost certain, that Roth had ordered it. Though he was the target, Roth showed he had no compunctions about mowing down Kay or anyone else who got in the way. Since Roth had help, there was a traitor at the compound--and the traitor could organize another, even more ruthless, attempt on Michael that could endanger his family. So, he needed to remove the target (himself) and at the same time buy time from Roth until he could identify the traitor. As long as Roth thought he could lure Michael to Havana and get the $2 million from him, Michael and his family were (temporarily) safe. So, I'm guessing, he or Tom contacted Roth before he left Tahoe to let him know he was coming. The long trip would extend the "safe" period.

Another nice little charade that Roth and Michael played on each other:
--Although Michael knew Roth was behind the Tahoe shooting, and figured he was safe as long as Roth thought he'd get the $2 million, Michael drove the car and the bodyguard sat in the back, looking out the window, as if they suspected an ambush from "the perps." Nice signal from Michael that he didn't suspect Roth, and thought he might be in danger from foes unknown.
--Although Roth knew he was behind the Tahoe shooting, he had Johnny Ola take an apparently circuitous route to his home, and run inside to make sure "things were ok," so Michael would think he (Roth) was in the same danger simply by hosting Michael.
Clever fellows. ;\)

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Turnbull] #481861
03/28/08 10:09 PM
03/28/08 10:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Given those two reasons TB, yes, Roth would have had to know about the trip in advance. However, why go see Roth at all? Ola had just met with Mike on Roth's behalf and given Mike the go-ahead for the Tropigala takeover. So, why the arduous journey to meet with Roth?

The assassination attempt had just taken place, then Mike leaves. Mike didn't have much time to prepare, to make any arrangements. Ola was still in Nevada probably when Mike left. Ola would have had to beat Mike back to Miami. When was there time to make all these arrangements. And, again, why go to Miami in the first place?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Michael and Roth [Re: olivant] #481900
03/29/08 01:09 PM
03/29/08 01:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: olivant
And, again, why go to Miami in the first place?

Michael's top priority was to buy time to find out who the traitor was in his family. He could leave nothing to chance. That's why I believe he needed to look Roth in the eye, convince him, face to face, that their deal was still good, that "Frank Pentangeli was a dead man," that he would go on to Havana and hand over the $2 million. He couldn't build a convincing case any other way except through a personal meeting.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Turnbull] #481906
03/29/08 02:17 PM
03/29/08 02:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull
And, again, why go to Miami in the first place?

Michael's top priority was to buy time to find out who the traitor was in his family. He could leave nothing to chance. That's why I believe he needed to look Roth in the eye, convince him, face to face, that their deal was still good, that "Frank Pentangeli was a dead man," that he would go on to Havana and hand over the $2 million. He couldn't build a convincing case any other way except through a personal meeting.

I don't know TB. Michael's trip had to be planned before the Communion. Do you agree? However, if planned in advance, he would not have had at that time sufficient evidence of a traitor in the family. So, there wold no have been any need to gain time.

Then Ola shows up at the Communion and pretty well affirms that Roth is in Michael's corner, true or not. It's only through the Geary meeting that Mike gets any indication of a traitor. Then the shooting. Mike could have easily passed word to Roth that the deal was still on and that he thought it was Pentangeli or anybody else who tried to kill him. That would have bought him all the time he needed.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: olivant] #481910
03/29/08 03:20 PM
03/29/08 03:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I don't know TB. Michael's trip had to be planned before the Communion. Do you agree?

I go by a bit of dialog with Tom after the shooting: "If what I think has happened has happened, I leave tonight."
 Quote:
It's only through the Geary meeting that Mike gets any indication of a traitor.

Please explain.

Re: Michael and Roth [Re: Turnbull] #481914
03/29/08 05:12 PM
03/29/08 05:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Geary knew about the intended move on the Tropigala. I don't think there's any indication of a traitor prior to that.

Also, regarding Mike's train trip, it doesn't seem he could have made all of the arrangements for it (including Roth's being in town and Ola making it back to Miami) that night. So, it must have been planned in advance.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull