GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, TheKillingJoke, Capri), 699 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,783
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,528
Posts1,062,422
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. #523765
12/09/08 11:19 AM
12/09/08 11:19 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline OP
Underboss
whisper  Offline OP
Underboss
My own world.
Although this is a public forum, My Mum is never going to see this so due to the maturity level on this board (Compared to others) I thought I'd ask some advice.

My Mother has been battling depression since she was a teenager and has attempted suicide a few times when she was younger. It seems now though the urges have come back to haunt her in her forties etc. She was working in public service (Biggest welfare office in Melbourne) and it has taken a toll on her mentally. To quote her words "All I say now is future drug addicts, criminals and leaches. When I see children, I don't see young happy being of life, I see future drug addicts. I'm in pain and I just want to die. You and your brother would get a nice pay out and I can be in peace"

Now, I have no Idea what to say to that. On one hand the thought of her killing herself hits home hard, But on the other hand, I can see where she's coming from as I too have depression and a panic disorder which I've been on Zoloft for for the last 3 years. I know what it's like to just want "peace" and "freedom" from all the bullshit.n Shes on all types of medication too I'e Lithium, Prozack etc.

She blames herself for the way my life turned out, although I tell her all the time that I made my own decisions and you did the best you could.

She called up my brothers Dad and asked to buy a Gun off him. Luckily I found out and called him back and told him that it wasn't needed. This isn't a cry for help either. She spent most of this year in a Psyche ward, But those places are a revolving door system. In and out and back again with no real results. She underwent shock therapy treatment (Electrocuting of the brain) and still nothing. It's taking a toll on me too as it's bringing me down and I find myself avoiding her, But then feeling guilty for doing so. I know she can't help it, But what can I do?

Has anyone gone through this? Or does anyone have any advice at all. Thanks in advance.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: whisper] #523769
12/09/08 11:52 AM
12/09/08 11:52 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The little I know about it is that when people talk about suicide it is one thing but when they make a plan to do it, then it has to be taken seriously. The fact that she tried to get a gun is very frightening. I assume she is treating with a psychiatrist and/or a psychologist. You may want to get online and find out all you can about her situation, and locate the best doctor(s) in your city and possibly get her to go for a second or third opinion. There is a lot of controversy about some of the drug cocktails that get handed out like candy, and if she is on prozac which is a seratonin uptake inhibitor AND Lithium which is supposed to stabilize her, that needs to be looked at. Especially the lithium because if she is getting too little or too much it could exacerbate the situation. My grandfather's business partner suffered from manic-depression, and they screwed up his lithium dosage and he got a gun and killed himself, so that needs to be monitored.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: dontomasso] #523771
12/09/08 11:59 AM
12/09/08 11:59 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Whisper, remember too that this is a terrible time of year if you suffer from depression. The rate of suicide does increase over the holiday season, so that could be contributing to her condition.

Don't be afraid to challenge her doctors. Many of them suffer from a God Complex, and it does them some good to be taken down a peg or two.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: Sicilian Babe] #523772
12/09/08 12:02 PM
12/09/08 12:02 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Don't be afraid to challenge her doctors. Many of them suffer from a God Complex, and it does them some good to be taken down a peg or two.

Well said SB.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: dontomasso] #523868
12/09/08 11:45 PM
12/09/08 11:45 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
Wow, whisper, That's horrible, there's not much I can help you with, but I know some people can become immune to serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, and may need to be put on a stronger dose

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: Santino Brasi] #523870
12/09/08 11:59 PM
12/09/08 11:59 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Whisper, a lot of these depressions can be due to a chemical imbalance in the body. It's imperative that you get your mom to a good psychiatrist and/or a good medical doctor to be checked out.

Like SB said - challenge the doctors - don't let them off with them saying it's all in your mom's mind. You may well be fighting for your mom's life.

Good luck!!

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: Santino Brasi] #523873
12/10/08 12:03 AM
12/10/08 12:03 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Whisper, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what to add that others haven't. Of course, number one, assuming she is seeing a doctor, let him/her know (they may already). There may be a medication that will help her or a change of medication. Like SB says, this is the time of the year when many people get depressed. Someone who's been suffering from depression for such a long time,I wold imagine, can really be hit pretty hard. frown

All I can say is I will pray for your mom and your family. Stay by her, and see she gets the proper and necessary attention. I wish her (and you) good luck.

Take care and let us know how she's doing from time to time.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #523899
12/10/08 10:27 AM
12/10/08 10:27 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Hey Whisper. I know where you are coming from with this. My mother also suffers from depression frown She has done ever since my father passed away 6 and a half years ago. Her doctor sent her to a therapist but she refused to reveal anything. To her it was an invasion of her privacy to talk about her private life to a stranger. She has had numerous health problems which hasn't helped her either. Now i hasten to add she is'nt down all the time but when she is it is hard work. I am the only child so i look after her. When she is in a low spell nothing i can do is right,everything is my fault and i am basically a wall for her to throw abuse at. But i take it because she is my mother and i know the other side of her,kind,generous and loving!

I don't think she would contemplate killing herself but she often says if she died nobody would miss her. This breaks my heart because along with myself i have 4 great kids who love their Grandma very much.

These are the problems in life we have to deal with. No problem really moaning about it because it doesn't solve the problem. Talking about it here helps a bit though.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: whisper] #528854
01/17/09 06:25 PM
01/17/09 06:25 PM
pfaff_luhver Offline
LOOKIN' 4 A LUVER IN A WORLD THAT'S MUCH TOO DARK
pfaff_luhver  Offline
LOOKIN' 4 A LUVER IN A WORLD THAT'S MUCH TOO DARK
Button
I attempted suicide a few times, never worked, that's why I'm still alive.

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: pfaff_luhver] #528863
01/17/09 06:40 PM
01/17/09 06:40 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Is that you Lompac smile

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: DE NIRO] #528912
01/18/09 05:20 AM
01/18/09 05:20 AM
Lompac Offline
BANNED
Lompac  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Is that you Lompac smile

You wanna ee me dead, your gonna have to do it to me yourself.

Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: pfaff_luhver] #528919
01/18/09 09:02 AM
01/18/09 09:02 AM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: pfaff_luhver
I attempted suicide a few times, never worked, that's why I'm still alive.
LMFAOOOOOO!

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Manic Depression, suicide attempts etc. [Re: DE NIRO] #528935
01/18/09 01:08 PM
01/18/09 01:08 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Is that you Lompac smile

I think you're right De Niro.