GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, DanteMoltisanti), 839 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,994
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,401
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,827
Posts1,069,877
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bonanno and Son #569652
03/14/10 12:31 PM
03/14/10 12:31 PM
Long Island
D
DonNickel Offline OP
DonNicholson
DonNickel  Offline OP
DonNicholson
D
Associate
Long Island
At the moment I am reading a book called Bound By Honor. This book was written by Bill Bonanno the son of Joseph Bonanno. Joseph Bonanno wrote a book called A Man of Honor which I have read from beginning to end. Joseph Bonanno's book was very interesting. I have learnt a lot from his book. The way he describes his "world" and his "Family" is very different to the books written by authors who have never really lived in the "tradition" that both Bonannos have been brought up in and reading a book from someone who has been an actual real life Mafia Don is very refreshing. I recommend both books as essential reading.

"A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." -Don Vito Corleone.
Re: Bonanno and Son [Re: DonNickel] #569655
03/14/10 01:05 PM
03/14/10 01:05 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Both of those authors do glamorize their lives in the Mafia as if it deserves admiration. Such is a thin disguise of the murder and mayhem they aided and abetted. I find it refreshing though that law enforcement was able to use Joe's book to achieve convictions of Mafiosi.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Bonanno and Son [Re: olivant] #569660
03/14/10 01:34 PM
03/14/10 01:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree that "A Man of Honor" was very interesting. It also contains the best extant description of the Castellemmarese War of 1930-31, and of the workings of the Commission (which, as Olivant pointed out, was the basis of Rudy Giuliani's successful "Commission" RICO case that put several Dons away for life). That said, take everything Bonanno wrote about himself with a ton of salt, especially his being "against drugs."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Bonanno and Son [Re: Turnbull] #569666
03/14/10 02:18 PM
03/14/10 02:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I thought both books were self serving tripe.

Both books were written by murderers trying to rationalize their choices in life as "carrying on a tradition." Well, what if Charles Manson or David Berkowitz had children who decided that they were only carrying on the family tradition? Would that be any less "honorable"? rolleyes

But to each his own smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Bonanno and Son [Re: pizzaboy] #569672
03/14/10 02:51 PM
03/14/10 02:51 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Hi Don Nickel!
I have not read "Bound By Honor" but I have read "Man of Honor". I did find it interesting but would have to agree with the other posters that different perspective aside it is after all a book by a man who was a criminal and murderer. But most relevant he was a liar. Every time something big happens Bonnano was "out of town". Supposedly he had no involvement in narcotics despite allegedly traveling to Sicily to arrange narcotics deals and the fact that his top underboss/hitter Carmine "Lilo" Galente was involved in heroin deals up to his eyeballs.

But like any other book on the subject you have to strain the grains of truth from the nuggets of crap. Look forward to getting other reviews/items of interest from you.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Bonanno and Son [Re: Lilo] #572983
04/29/10 03:59 PM
04/29/10 03:59 PM
Stewartstown, PA
V
VitoC Offline
Capo
VitoC  Offline
V
Capo
Stewartstown, PA
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Supposedly he had no involvement in narcotics despite allegedly traveling to Sicily to arrange narcotics deals and the fact that his top underboss/hitter Carmine "Lilo" Galente was involved in heroin deals up to his eyeballs.

Yeah, it's at best extremely hard to believe Joe Bonnano didn't know that Galante and other Bonnano family members were making millions of dollars in heroin. In addition to Galante's activities and Bonnano's own trips to Sicily (which, according to the testimony of a Sicilian mafioso, were made to arrange narcotics shipments), there's also the Cotroni brothers. In "The Complete Idiot's Guide To The Mafia," Jerry Capeci notes that in 1959, Bonnano's captain in Montreal, Vincenzo "Vic" Cotroni, was arrested on charges of conspiring to violate U.S. narcotics laws. Later that year, Vic's brother Giuseppe pled guilty to heroin conspiracy charges. Despite this, Vic remained Bonnano's representative in Montreal. This hardly suggests that Bonnano had no tolerance for drug trafficking by members of his family.

Believing Bonnano's claim that he didn't tolerate drug dealing is like believing Albert Speer's claim that he had no knowledge of the Holocaust, despite being arguably the closest person to Hitler in the entire Third Reich. And Bonnano can't have it both ways--if he really didn't know, then he certainly wasn't nearly as smart as he claimed to be!

Let me tell ya somethin my kraut mick friend!

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull