GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (joepuzzles234, mike68, DanteMoltisanti), 492 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,785
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,529
Posts1,062,447
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ESPN Radio #582120
10/01/10 10:10 PM
10/01/10 10:10 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline OP
klydon1  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Did anyone happen to catch the abbreviated interview between Doug Gottlieb and former NFL coach Jim Mora, Jr.? Gottlieb epitomizes a growing problem among ESPN mouthpieces, namely, the desire to be a slick, smart ass

Essentially, Gottlieb begins the interview by suggesting maybe Mora could still be coaching if he knew that Vick would emerge as a great QB. Mora set him straight, noting that Vick was an all-pro in Atlanta and that it was basically asinine to crown Vick after only 2 1/2 games in Philly. Gottlieb then asks one of the most ridiculous questions of the year: something to the effect of "How should the Philly fans feel about Donovan McNabb this weekend on his return to play the Eagles?"

Mora answered brilliantly, "Jesus Christ, is this your first interview?" He said how the hell do I know how someone should feel? If they want to boo him, boo him. If they want to cheer, cheer.

I don't have a link to the interview, but I became a Mora fan after hearing it. Gottlieb is a former college basketball star at Oklahoma State, who had been booted out of Notre Dame for stealing and running up a tab on a fellow student's credit card. Now he representsthe ESPN sports commenary guy, who is more interested in injecting his smart-ass personality than providing knowledgeable insight.

This tone is common at ESPN. There are some very good analysts and commentary guys too. Mike and Mike are entertaining and informative;Colin Cowherd is caustic andtongue-in-cheek, but his commentary is well developed; and Herm Edwards, Chris Carter, Tim Kurkjian and others are good.

Re: ESPN Radio [Re: klydon1] #582128
10/02/10 12:05 AM
10/02/10 12:05 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Kly, with few exceptions, I don't pay much attention ot ESPN or any other sports news organizations. I like the NFL Countdown crew and Clayton, but that's about it. I listen to The Ticket here in the DFW area. They're pretty good most of hte time.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: ESPN Radio [Re: olivant] #582294
10/04/10 09:29 AM
10/04/10 09:29 AM
Don Sicilia Offline
Don Sicilia  Offline

Never thought much of Gottlieb. Always thought of him as a bullpen guy - someone they called when either of the Mike's deciced to take a vacation. The dressing down must have been brilliant.

Re: ESPN Radio [Re: Don Sicilia] #582854
10/11/10 11:44 AM
10/11/10 11:44 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
ESPN is a four letter work IMHO. They have an agenda and use and don't use what they like to fit it into their agenda. They are awful.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: ESPN Radio [Re: dontomasso] #582941
10/12/10 09:54 AM
10/12/10 09:54 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Good for Jim Mora. Glad to see him stick it in ESPN's face. Although I would have to assume that Mora is probably still seething about losing his job to Pete Carroll.

I refuse to watch ESPN anymore. Mike & Mike both overly exaggerate everything (i.e. "He is great. What a great, great time.") Sports Center has become the sports version of TMZ. There is not enough material to discuss in sports, so they have to go for off-field issues. Not that off-field issues are unimportant, but come on. Did we really need Pedro Gomez following Barry Bonds around like he was under swat surveillance? Or making the "will he/won't he" melodrama of Favre's decision to play another season.

I lost all respect for ESPN after they aired "The Decision." Even if James would have stayed in Cleveland, I thought the show was unnecessary, pompous, and a deliberate spectacle. My opinion is that ESPN should report the sports news/highlights, not get in bed with star athletes like James, Favre, et. al. They lost their objectivity and credibility with me after "The Decision." The least they could have done was ask James some tough questions, such as "did you really quit on your team?" and "if the elbow was as injured as you indicated, what kind of treatment/procedure did you have done on it?"