GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 151 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 69,007
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,416
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,830
Posts1,070,002
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michael and Fredo in Cuba #737691
08/31/13 08:42 AM
08/31/13 08:42 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Much has been written and discussed about why Michael told Fredo in advance that Roth tried to kill him in Tahoe and that he was to be assassinated later that night. Perhaps it was an act of superb cunning Michael's part. Michael already suspected Fredo, but it was not confirmed until the offhand comments at the Superman show. What was clear was that Frdo was a nervous wreck, and already showing anger at Michael, remorse that he couldn't be "more like Pop," and that he didn't marry a woman like Kay (As an aside given the gay theory in that awful book, you could take Fredo's comments two ways...that he didn't marry a woman like Kay OR he didnt marry a woman. Like Kay. whistle).

Given that Michael suspected him, and given Fredo's agitated state of mind, it is possible that Michael realized by telling Fredo these things it would actually make Fredo even more nervous about having any contact direct or otherwise with Roth or his people. In other words his disclosure was a sort of Sicilian cunning head fake which actually deterred Fredo from contacting Roth. In orther words a clear case of keeping his enemies closer.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Michael and Fredo in Cuba [Re: dontomasso] #737712
08/31/13 12:43 PM
08/31/13 12:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, dt, as you said, this is one of the enduring mysteries of II. And, you advance an interesting and supportable theory. But, two things stick out:

First, if Michael really suspected Fredo of being the traitor, he took an incredibly dangerous risk in letting Fredo know that "Hyman Roth will never see the New Year."

Second, Michael is genuinely devastated when Fredo makes his fatal gaffe at the Superman show. You might argue that the devastation was that Fredo confirmed what Michael had already strongly suspected. Or, I might argue that, until that point, Michael didn't think Fredo was an active part of the conspiracy. (In Tahoe, I think he implied to Tom that he couldn't trust Fredo to run the family in his absence--not that he thought Fredo was the traitor.)

The hangup for me (and probably others) is those searching looks Michael gave Fredo when Fredo asked who else was in Havana, and when he introduced him to Johnny Ola. If those looks implied suspicion, we go back to square one: Why, if Michael suspected Fredo, would he tell him when he was going to have Roth killed?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael and Fredo in Cuba [Re: Turnbull] #737726
08/31/13 02:25 PM
08/31/13 02:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
DT and TB, I don't think Michael suspected Fredo at all. TB, you cited how devastated Michael was to learn of Fredo's culpability at the Superman show. True. On the other hand, I don't see Michael's facial expressions when Fredo arrives with the money as searching at all. In fact, it is Fredo who brings up the subject about knowing anyone in Cuba, not Michael. I don't think that Michael knew anyone else in Cuba besides Roth and Ola (except for those who would help him dispatch Roth), therefore there would not be anyone else's names to bring up in response to Fredo's question.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull