GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 737 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,752
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,522
Posts1,062,269
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rocco And Roth #737692
08/31/13 08:45 AM
08/31/13 08:45 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
At the meeting in Tahoe Michael clearly "gives" the Roth assassination job to Rocco who says it is difficult, but not impossible. The question is that Rocco had "men" working for him, but evidently lacked the wit to use them in a way that would get Roth killed but spare himself. Directorial license and the elements of drama aside, why would he be the one to pull the trigger in front of the press, police, IRS and FBI? All Michael wanted was Roth dead. This is akin to Sonny wanting Paulie dead. He gave Clemenza the order and Clemenza had it carried out. Rocoo should have learned from that. LAter when Sonny asked about Paulie, Clemenza simply said, "You won't see him no more." And that was that. Had Rocco been more creative he could have had Roth wacked and gone back to work with Michael.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Rocco And Roth [Re: dontomasso] #737695
08/31/13 10:02 AM
08/31/13 10:02 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Good Question. I think somebody offered a few interpretations on this subject a few years back. One reason why Rocco might have done it was to prove his loyalty to mike and the crime family. Even though he is a capo and has men he was willing to do an important job and lay done his life to show loyalty. Remember by the end of Part 2 mike was basically a paranoid maniac who was accusing all those close to him of betraying him or going against him

Re: Rocco And Roth [Re: dontomasso] #737704
08/31/13 11:19 AM
08/31/13 11:19 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well, I don't know who he accused of anything except Tom and I don't know why Rocco would have to prove anything.

DT, you just can't place directorial license and the elements of drama aside. Those things tend to dictate alot of what we see in the films.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Rocco And Roth [Re: olivant] #737710
08/31/13 12:33 PM
08/31/13 12:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I've argued many times that a possible reason is that Rocco was being pushed aside by Neri (who also was trying to push Tom aside) in Neri's quest to be Michael's #2. And Rocco was Clemenza's choice, just as Tom was Vito's choice. But Neri was Michael's choice.

The juxtaposition of dialog reinforces this: Michael humiliates Tom (we see Neri smirking when Michael talks about him moving himself, his family and his mistress to Vegas--Neri probably was the source of that info). Then he digs the knife in by saying, "Y'know, Tom, you surprise me. If history proves anything, it's that you can kill anyone." And he says, instantly,"Rocco?" Now, what was Rocco going to do? Reply by sayiig, "Yeah, Mike, Tom's right--killing Roth would be like killing the President"? No, Rocco was on the spot.

At that instant Michael could have turned to Neri. But he didn't. That's because he needed Neri, but Rocco was superfluous at that point. And, yes, Rocco had men under him. But, I'm assuming that since he thought he had to prove himself to Michael at that point, he went on the mission alone.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull