GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Liggio, 1 invisible), 713 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,752
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,522
Posts1,062,268
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barzini Exposure #812138
11/06/14 05:14 PM
11/06/14 05:14 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Proof that watching The Godfather reveals something new every time, I am watching the recent HBO showing, and see that there is a Barzini issue not mentioned to my knowledge on the boards before. At the Corleone wedding, there is a big deal made of him not wanting his picture taken... afficiandoes know what I am saying...but then, after the Sollozzo/McCluskey killling, in the Lucasfilm newspaper headline segue, there is a huge picture of Barzini and print describing him as a mobster. Either that headline blew his cover completely, or at least blew his association with the Corleones... either way, that reveal should have made it clear it was Barzini all along.

Last edited by dontomasso; 11/06/14 05:16 PM.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: dontomasso] #812161
11/06/14 07:03 PM
11/06/14 07:03 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Well, now that you mention it, dt, it is kind of a hint of things to come: why show his photo in that newspaper mockup? Why not the other Dons. especially Tattaglia? Why any Don at all, for that matter? Thanks for pointing that out.

But, I don't think the photo necessarily blew Barzini's cover because he may not have had a real cover. All Mob bosses have "legitimate" jobs for income tax or other purposes, but everyone knows who they are. Vito was identified in the same newspaper mockups as a "Mob Boss" even though he had the Genco Olive Oil Company as his front. Barzini at Connie's wedding may just have been camera-shy--a good idea for any Mob boss wanting to maintain a low profile and not wanting to have a photo of him in proximity to any other Mob boss.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: dontomasso] #812163
11/06/14 07:22 PM
11/06/14 07:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB, you're right. The press surely knows who the gangsters are in any community. Barzini was chosen by FFC probably because the audience was exposed to him at the wedding and he was the most photogenic of the array of Dons. Of course, FFC was setting up the audience to recognize him once Vito cited him as the plot's protagonist.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: Turnbull] #812203
11/07/14 06:17 AM
11/07/14 06:17 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Well, now that you mention it, dt, it is kind of a hint of things to come: why show his photo in that newspaper mockup? Why not the other Dons. especially Tattaglia? Why any Don at all, for that matter? Thanks for pointing that out.

But, I don't think the photo necessarily blew Barzini's cover because he may not have had a real cover. All Mob bosses have "legitimate" jobs for income tax or other purposes, but everyone knows who they are. Vito was identified in the same newspaper mockups as a "Mob Boss" even though he had the Genco Olive Oil Company as his front. Barzini at Connie's wedding may just have been camera-shy--a good idea for any Mob boss wanting to maintain a low profile and not wanting to have a photo of him in proximity to any other Mob boss.

The wedding photo would have only shown Barzini in the company of people who did not appear especially notorious. There was nothing in that photo that would have indicated he was at Connie Corleone's wedding. The way he merely gestured to his aide to get the negative indicated he NEVER wanted anyone taking pictures of him.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: dontomasso] #812209
11/07/14 06:59 AM
11/07/14 06:59 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

The wedding photo would have only shown Barzini in the company of people who did not appear especially notorious. There was nothing in that photo that would have indicated he was at Connie Corleone's wedding. The way he merely gestured to his aide to get the negative indicated he NEVER wanted anyone taking pictures of him.

Well, maybe he didn't want anyone taking pictures of him, but he couldn't prevent the press taking his pictures as he leaves his interrogation.

One other thing I find interesting about the montage is the terminology used to describe Vito and Barzini.

Barzini is called a "mobster," but Vito is referred to by the softer term "syndicate big shot" (not "mob boss," TB). Is that the influence of the Corleone's newspaper men at work?

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: dontomasso] #812246
11/07/14 10:25 AM
11/07/14 10:25 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
The wedding photo would have only shown Barzini in the company of people who did not appear especially notorious. There was nothing in that photo that would have indicated he was at Connie Corleone's wedding.

The FBI was outside. They could have corroborated that Barzini was at Connie Corleone's wedding, and the photo would have verified that he was in the company of another Mob boss. If Barzini had ever been convicted of a felony, one of the stipulations may have been that he could not keep company with "notorious" criminals.

But, I agree with you: he probably had an aversion to being photographed at any time, under any circumstances. It would just make common sense for any "syndicate big shot" (attention! LW). wink

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Barzini Exposure [Re: dontomasso] #812252
11/07/14 11:09 AM
11/07/14 11:09 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I agree TB. It's almost axiomatic (at least it used to be) that wiseguys don't want publicity and photos are one type of publicity. However, his arrival at the compound was probably noted by the FBI and the FBI could certainly photograph him as he entered and left. That was out of his control. But a photo within the compound was in his control (by the way, why didn't Vito caution his photographer about taking photos of certain attendees?).

Despite all, as I posted above, I think it was FFC's decision to introduce Barzini to the audience through the photography scene.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull