GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MeyerLansky, Signor Vitelli, VanillaLimeCoke), 529 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,979
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,704
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,498
Posts1,062,000
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
San Francisco vs. Rockford #1091476
06/02/24 01:55 PM
06/02/24 01:55 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Whats your opinion?...

At the height of their respective underworld power and influence, in your opinion, which Family was more active in the rackets, operated better illegal rackets, and brought in more money for their bosses and membership? Was it...

The Lanza Family (San Francisco, CA)

or

The Zammuto Family (Rockford, IL)

Re: San Francisco vs. Rockford [Re: NYMafia] #1091488
06/02/24 06:47 PM
06/02/24 06:47 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Which Family was larger?

Which Family was richer?

Re: San Francisco vs. Rockford [Re: NYMafia] #1091514
06/03/24 03:45 AM
06/03/24 03:45 AM
J
joepuzzles234 Offline
Wiseguy
joepuzzles234  Offline
J
Wiseguy
San Francisco had limited membership, a former boss turned CI (Lima) and an official boss that discouraged his only captain to refrain from any illegal activities (Lanza & Infusino) - on top of that, the family was so small that his position was mostly honorary, with all soldiers formally reporting to the underboss

Rockford was more active for a longer period of time and also just generally had more members

“I am saying for the record there is no organized crime except in the minds of the U.S. government, Mario Puzo and reporters who seem to capitalize on it." – John Vaccaro
Re: San Francisco vs. Rockford [Re: NYMafia] #1091516
06/03/24 05:43 AM
06/03/24 05:43 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Rockford had more members, better connections to Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, New Orleans, San Jose, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Bonanno, Genovese, Luchese crime families. They were still active longer than San Francisco, had better associates in key places around the country as well as the Caribbean, Sicily, and France. More influence than San Francisco. They also had Joe Licari in Las Vegas, Thomas Pendergast cousin in Cuba. Which was more than San Francisco was able to do.

San Francisco for all intent purposes began to isolate itself in the early 1950s, and Jimmy Lanza really accelerated it once he took over.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: San Francisco vs. Rockford [Re: joepuzzles234] #1091523
06/03/24 07:19 AM
06/03/24 07:19 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by joepuzzles234
San Francisco had limited membership, a former boss turned CI (Lima) and an official boss that discouraged his only captain to refrain from any illegal activities (Lanza & Infusino) - on top of that, the family was so small that his position was mostly honorary, with all soldiers formally reporting to the underboss

Rockford was more active for a longer period of time and also just generally had more members

You make some very good points, JoeP. And frankly, I tend to agree with you. Thinking about the two families, Frisco was essentially defunct by the late 1960s era, and before that Jimmy Lanza made sure to damp-it-down, forbidding his remaining soldiers from engaging in street activities. Whereas the Rockford family under Zammuto, and his successors, continued street rackets for years to come.

And I think you're also right when you say that, the fact that Lima was later exposed as an FBI informer, definitely weakened that family. Whereas Rockford, off the top of my head, never had such a highly-placed informer within their midst.

You made some very logical assessments.

Re: San Francisco vs. Rockford [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1091525
06/03/24 07:24 AM
06/03/24 07:24 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Rockford had more members, better connections to Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, New Orleans, San Jose, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Bonanno, Genovese, Luchese crime families. They were still active longer than San Francisco, had better associates in key places around the country as well as the Caribbean, Sicily, and France. More influence than San Francisco. They also had Joe Licari in Las Vegas, Thomas Pendergast cousin in Cuba. Which was more than San Francisco was able to do.

San Francisco for all intent purposes began to isolate itself in the early 1950s, and Jimmy Lanza really accelerated it once he took over.

I agree with this also. I think Jimmy Lanza's "strength" (if we can call it that) was the fact that he descended from royalty, in the sense that his father had been an old-time mafioso who for all intents and purposes founded the San Francisco Family. So Jimmy was well respected in that sense (having come from a Mafia blood lineage.) But after thinking about it, I have to agree that Rockford was probably more powerful and better connected...to both American families as well as Sicilian-born members which they continued to "import" into their ranks for years to come.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull