GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MeyerLansky, Big_Tuna93, 1 invisible), 538 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,966
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,678
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,548
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,917
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! #1091885
06/08/24 05:46 AM
06/08/24 05:46 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Joseph Colombo. Sr. – The Mob Boss Who Had the FBI by the Balls

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/joseph-colombo-sr/?

Re: The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! [Re: NYMafia] #1091895
06/08/24 10:33 AM
06/08/24 10:33 AM
M
MafiaStudent Offline
MafiaStudent  Offline

M
Underboss
Great story, NYM!

We did a three-part interview with Don Capria, co-author of the book, Colombo the Unsolved Murder a few years back, along with Joe's son, Anthony. I thought it was a really interesting conversation. Check it out:

Re: The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! [Re: MafiaStudent] #1091896
06/08/24 12:47 PM
06/08/24 12:47 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Melting down silver coins for their bullion value was a growth industry for part of the Sixties and beyond:
The gov't stopped minting silver coins, instead laminating coins with only a small silver content. But the big move came after the gov't said it would no longer redeem "Silver Certificates"--$1 bills--for their weight in actual silver. This set off a "silver rush" of people cashing in thousands of Silver Certificates for silver bars. I worked in the NYC financial district then, and I used to see lines of people outside the Treasury's Assay Office staggering out of the office lugging huge bars of silver.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! [Re: Turnbull] #1091917
06/08/24 04:46 PM
06/08/24 04:46 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Melting down silver coins for their bullion value was a growth industry for part of the Sixties and beyond:
The gov't stopped minting silver coins, instead laminating coins with only a small silver content. But the big move came after the gov't said it would no longer redeem "Silver Certificates"--$1 bills--for their weight in actual silver. This set off a "silver rush" of people cashing in thousands of Silver Certificates for silver bars. I worked in the NYC financial district then, and I used to see lines of people outside the Treasury's Assay Office staggering out of the office lugging huge bars of silver.

Thats great info and historical background regarding how this all came about. It's interesting Turnbull. Because thats exactly what Joe Jr. and a few older Colombo associates with him did...melt down silver coins/ingots for their inherent value based on the weight of precious metals. And thats probably something that only a fellow like yourself, who was connected to, and had experience in the financial market back then would be aware of. (I learned something today with this, lol.)

And thats actually what got the ball rolling with the IACRL, picketing the FBI, newspapers, etc. The entire Italian-American Civil Rights Movement was sparked from that incident against Colombo's kid.

Re: The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! [Re: NYMafia] #1091940
06/08/24 10:00 PM
06/08/24 10:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Joe Sr. also had a personal interest: He'd been indicted, at about the same time, for perjury for lying on his application for a real estate license. League picketing forced the NY Times to stop using "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra" -- words that magically reappeared in their pages after Joe was gunned down in Columbus Circle.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: The Mob Boss Who Had The FBI by the Balls! [Re: Turnbull] #1091954
06/09/24 12:06 PM
06/09/24 12:06 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Joe Sr. also had a personal interest: He'd been indicted, at about the same time, for perjury for lying on his application for a real estate license. League picketing forced the NY Times to stop using "Mafia" and "Cosa Nostra" -- words that magically reappeared in their pages after Joe was gunned down in Columbus Circle.

There’s no doubt about that, Turnbull. I agree with you 100%, that aside from protecting his son, (as any loving father would do,) Joe Sr. definitely also had a vested interest beyond simply fatherly love. He saw the league as a way to potentially stave off the police, FBI and other law enforcement agencies from probing into the Mafia’s affairs.

During that same time period, besides the perjury charge related to Joe allegedly lying on his real estate license application (as you mentioned,) he had a number of other criminal cases pop up that local police agencies and the feds had buried him under, not the least of which included the following;
-
Colombo was charged with heading a massive, $10-million a year policy-bookmaking operation based in Kings County that employed dozens and dozens of runners and bookies who took bets across Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Nassau County. He was among 31 suspects arrested in the case, with Colombo accused of being the boss of the gambling syndicate.
-
He also faced a third indictment related to his role as the “mediator” and “arbitrator” over a highly-publicized $750,000 jewel heist committed by members of his borgata who were now squabbling over how to divvy up the spoils.

This particular indictment (charging Colombo with grand larceny and criminal conspiracy) stemmed from the highly-publicized robbery of the popular Long Island Diamond Exchange, in Garden City, New York. Joe Sr. had became involved when several Brooklyn-based members of the Colombo Family approached him to help settle a dispute arising from an argument and potential bloodshed with members of another regime, that of Sonny Franzese’s crew, who were also involved in planning the heist.
-
He was also under indictment in a fourth case, charging him with income-tax evasion, which was due to come to trial shortly.

And If my memory serves me correctly, Colombo also faced a fifth indictment, for criminal contempt of court, stemming from his refusal to answer questions before a Nassau County Grand Jury.
-
So, he had a lot of trouble on the horizon. And I think Joe most probably would have been convicted and jailed on at least one (if not more) of these cases had he not been shot, and lived to face all these varied criminal counts. (I think Joe may have even already been convicted on that perjury charge you mentioned, and was appealing a jail sentence imposed on him.)
-
But, as you mentioned, while it lasted, Colombo had become an extremely powerful figure. With his guidance and vision, the Italian-American Civil Rights League had successfully backed up the FBI, the U.S. Attorney General, and every other law enforcement agency in the country. He forced them to renounce their usage of the words Mafia, Cosa Nostra, and other references regarding “Italians” as being involved in organized crime. Newspapers throughout the country dropped those words from their news articles. He forced the producers of The Godfather movie (and similar gangster shows) to do the same. Television commercials that depicted Italians as buffoons or portrayed them in a negative way were pulled off TV, etc., etc., etc.

Local, state, and national politicians courted him. Movie stars and celebrities flocked to him. He was a guest on the Dick Cavett Show (among others.) he made the front-page of magazines…Joe Colombo was quickly catapulted to stardom, becoming a media darling and one of the most powerful public figures in the nation….and therein lies the rub!

Cosa Nostra figures, especially Capo Famiglia, are not supposed to be “public figures.”

That was the start of his downfall…

Last edited by NYMafia; 06/09/24 02:29 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull