GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MeyerLansky, Big_Tuna93, 1 invisible), 538 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,966
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,678
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,548
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,917
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca #1091946
06/09/24 09:06 AM
06/09/24 09:06 AM
M
MafiaStudent Offline OP
MafiaStudent  Offline OP

M
Underboss

Italians versus the Irish | Mafia Don Raymond L.S. Patriarca | Federal Hill Providence, Rhode Island

This is from the full documentary: Italian Americans and Federal Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnD_s84fO5Q

Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: MafiaStudent] #1091953
06/09/24 10:00 AM
06/09/24 10:00 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

I don't know where you got this particular video from, MS, but this was a great find! Good girl!

I just watched it and I gotta say, that THIS is one helluva video...I loved it!

It's a great depiction of how our lives REALLY were in the old Italian neighborhoods that we grew up in, be it "Federal Hill" in Providence, the Little Italy's of New York City, Utica, Philadelphia, Boston's North End, etc., etc. This video is also one that Italians everywhere can be proud of.

May I suggest everyone watch it, because, whether you're of Italian lineage or not, I do think you'll really enjoy this historical piece.

Last edited by NYMafia; 06/09/24 02:12 PM.
Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: MafiaStudent] #1092061
06/09/24 09:27 PM
06/09/24 09:27 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
It’s such a shame what Federal hill is now. You drive up and down atwells and it’s like South Providence. Half the people there don’t even know what it’s about.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: The_Marble_Guy] #1092064
06/10/24 02:04 AM
06/10/24 02:04 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by The_Marble_Guy
It’s such a shame what Federal hill is now. You drive up and down atwells and it’s like South Providence. Half the people there don’t even know what it’s about.

Thats become the case with a lot of the old-time neighborhoods. I've been to Federal Hill a handful of times when I had to go to Providence. I liked the area. I remember driving under the decorative arch with "La Pigna" hanging down, leading into the neighborhood. I got a kick out of that.

Another traditional Italian enclave that I think is still holding up quite nicely (at least last time I was there,) is the Little Italy located in Boston's North End.

I found the neighborhood to be very clean and safe. With its cobblestone streets, brick buildings and classic architecture, it gives you the feeling of stepping into a Little Italy of yesteryear. They still maintain a solid business community, with many Italian restaurants, salumerias, little cafes and private social clubs, bakeries and shops, and the neighborhood people are friendly.

The last time I was there was several years ago. By sheer coincidence, we just happened to visit during the Italian Feast they have in the neighborhood. Of course it was much smaller than the Feast of San Gennaro in NYC, but I actually found it more enjoyable.

To me, it was smaller and easier to navigate, cleaner, and more inviting. We had a lot of fun.

Last edited by NYMafia; 06/10/24 02:06 AM.
Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: NYMafia] #1092083
06/10/24 12:30 PM
06/10/24 12:30 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Thats become the case with a lot of the old-time neighborhoods. I've been to Federal Hill a handful of times when I had to go to Providence. I liked the area. I remember driving under the decorative arch with "La Pigna" hanging down, leading into the neighborhood. I got a kick out of that.

Another traditional Italian enclave that I think is still holding up quite nicely (at least last time I was there,) is the Little Italy located in Boston's North End.

I found the neighborhood to be very clean and safe. With its cobblestone streets, brick buildings and classic architecture, it gives you the feeling of stepping into a Little Italy of yesteryear. They still maintain a solid business community, with many Italian restaurants, salumerias, little cafes and private social clubs, bakeries and shops, and the neighborhood people are friendly.

The last time I was there was several years ago. By sheer coincidence, we just happened to visit during the Italian Feast they have in the neighborhood. Of course it was much smaller than the Feast of San Gennaro in NYC, but I actually found it more enjoyable.

To me, it was smaller and easier to navigate, cleaner, and more inviting. We had a lot of fun.

North End is for sure. The issue with Federal Hill was believe or not is some of the Italian restaurant owners in the city started opening up these hookah bars and lounges that shouldn't be there. Leave them in the parts of the city where they belong. Ever since those places came into the neighborhood its attracted the wrong crowds and the trouble on Atwells has jumped. I pray that will never happen in the North End. IMO they wouldn't allow it.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: The_Marble_Guy] #1092088
06/10/24 02:55 PM
06/10/24 02:55 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by NYMafia

North End is for sure. The issue with Federal Hill was believe or not is some of the Italian restaurant owners in the city started opening up these hookah bars and lounges that shouldn't be there. Leave them in the parts of the city where they belong. Ever since those places came into the neighborhood its attracted the wrong crowds and the trouble on Atwells has jumped. I pray that will never happen in the North End. IMO they wouldn't allow it.

I have to completely agree with you on that. Bringing in those types of venues; hookah bars and lounges, etc., attracts a completely different type of element, (a seedy element,) than the "traditional" close-knit Italian family atmosphere that is so typical (and attractive) to the residents and those visiting Federal Hill want. "Little Italy" styled neighborhoods, wherever they are, don't jibe with that sort of thing. Italian restaurants, cafes, neighborhood bars and taverns, private social clubs, salumerias and delis, Italian bakeries, pizzerias, clean-cut retail shops and businesses, little parks and benches to sit and relax, etc. Thats what you're supposed to find in Little Italys. ..Not honky-tonk bullshit!

Last edited by NYMafia; 06/10/24 02:58 PM.
Re: Italians vs. The Irish - Raymond Patriarca [Re: MafiaStudent] #1092229
06/12/24 05:06 PM
06/12/24 05:06 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

At the pinnacle of their strength, the New England crew, under Raymond L.S. Patriarca Sr., was a deceptively powerful Cosa Nostra network. With the exception of Western Connecticut, which they shared in agreement with the New York-New Jersey Families, the “Patriarca Family” held a sprawling, ironclad grip over all six New England States. Thats a lot of power!

Last edited by NYMafia; 06/12/24 05:19 PM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull