GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ciment, DanteMoltisanti, 1 invisible), 171 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,966
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,678
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,548
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,911
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
$430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago #1092339
06/14/24 03:26 PM
06/14/24 03:26 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Owners of “Empire Market” Charged in Chicago With Operating $430 Million Dark Web Marketplace

Friday, June 14, 2024, USAO-ND-IL

CHICAGO — Two men have been charged in federal court in Chicago with operating “Empire Market,” a dark web marketplace that enabled users to anonymously buy and sell more than $430 million in illegal goods and services around the world.

THOMAS PAVEY, also known as “Dopenugget,” 38, of Ormond Beach, Fla., and RAHEIM HAMILTON, also known as “Sydney” and “Zero Angel,” 28, of Suffolk, Va., owned and operated Empire Market from 2018 to 2020, during which time they facilitated approximately four million transactions between vendors and buyers valued at more than $430 million, according to a superseding indictment returned Thursday in U.S. District Court in Chicago. The indictment charges Pavey and Hamilton with conspiring with each other and others to engage in drug trafficking, computer fraud, access device fraud, counterfeiting, and money laundering. The charges in the superseding indictment are punishable by a maximum sentence of life in federal prison.

Pavey and Hamilton are in U.S. law enforcement custody. Arraignments in federal court in Chicago have not yet been scheduled.

The superseding indictment was announced by Morris Pasqual, Acting United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, Robert W. “Wes” Wheeler, Jr., Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Field Office of the FBI, Ruth Mendonça, Inspector-in-Charge of the Chicago Division of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and Ivan J. Arvelo, Special Agent-in-Charge of the New York office of Homeland Security Investigations. The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Melody Wells and Ann Marie Ursini.

According to the charges, Pavey and Hamilton previously worked together to advertise and sell counterfeit U.S. currency on AlphaBay, a dark web marketplace for illicit goods that was shut down in 2017. They began operating Empire Market on Feb. 1, 2018, the indictment states. Thousands of vendors and buyers accessed Empire Market through a specialized anonymizing software and the site’s address, which ended in “.onion.” Vendors on Empire Market offered to sell various illicit goods and services, including controlled substances such as heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, and LSD, as well as counterfeit currency and stolen credit card information, the indictment states. Buyers could browse the available goods and services by category, including “Fraud,” “Drugs & Chemicals,” “Counterfeit Items,” and “Software & Malware,” among others, the indictment states. After transactions were completed using cryptocurrency, buyers could review and rate their purchases on multiple criteria, including “stealth,” the indictment states.

During the investigation, federal law enforcement seized cryptocurrency valued at $75 million at the time of the seizures, as well as cash and precious metals.

The public is reminded that an indictment is not evidence of guilt. The defendants are presumed innocent and entitled to a fair trial at which the government has the burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092340
06/14/24 03:35 PM
06/14/24 03:35 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss
Counterfeiting was their big money maker in all of this, especially in Northern Illinois and thats why they are being tried there.

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: RushStreet] #1092345
06/14/24 04:19 PM
06/14/24 04:19 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by RushStreet
Counterfeiting was their big money maker in all of this, especially in Northern Illinois and thats why they are being tried there.

Rush, 4 Million transactions between buyers and sellers, representing over $430 Million dollars in services generated from around the world...thats unprecedented!

Not only counterfeiting (which I'm sure was huge,) but all kinds of narcotics and other drugs, which I'm certain represented a big chunk of these sales also. Narcotics are usually very big business over the "dark web" too.

The authorities seized over $75-Million in assets also. Thats really big time stuff! No penny-ante action with these guys.

And I suspect the reason why the case was brought in the Northern District of Illinois is because thats where the conspiracy probably started. (thats typical of how jurisdiction works.)

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092350
06/14/24 05:02 PM
06/14/24 05:02 PM
R
RushStreet Offline
Underboss
RushStreet  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Rush, 4 Million transactions between buyers and sellers, representing over $430 Million dollars in services generated from around the world...thats unprecedented!

Not only counterfeiting (which I'm sure was huge,) but all kinds of narcotics and other drugs, which I'm certain represented a big chunk of these sales also. Narcotics are usually very big business over the "dark web" too.

The authorities seized over $75-Million in assets also. Thats really big time stuff! No penny-ante action with these guys.

And I suspect the reason why the case was brought in the Northern District of Illinois is because thats where the conspiracy probably started. (thats typical of how jurisdiction works.)

How do these dark web guys ship drugs without it being detected? Isn't it more risky for the buyer than the seller considering they are accepting illegal drugs being delivered to their home?

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: RushStreet] #1092352
06/14/24 05:31 PM
06/14/24 05:31 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by NYMafia

How do these dark web guys ship drugs without it being detected? Isn't it more risky for the buyer than the seller considering they are accepting illegal drugs being delivered to their home?

I'm with you, Rush. I can only say that I wish I knew how they do that. I really have no clue how they're able to get drugs and contraband (but, especially drugs) past U.S. Mail inspectors as well as International Mail investigators to pull off such feats. Over and over again. When we know that the authorities are on the lookout for such smuggled contraband and reportedly have "detection methods" in place to uncover such schemes.

But, quite obviously, they're doing it...and doing it quite well. Because this operation was humungous and its not the first one, nor shall it be the last, to conduct such surreptitious businesses.

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092369
06/14/24 06:21 PM
06/14/24 06:21 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
The expert in two different city's...

.He's got insiders there I'm sure !!!!

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: RushStreet] #1092372
06/14/24 06:47 PM
06/14/24 06:47 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama

Usually like they would smuggle the stuff in anyways, stuffing it in shampoo bottles or other things with something wrapped around it etc. You're shipping a lot less product this way as folks are not usually buying keys or multiple pounds so the risk is less.

I had a friend that lived in Australia and they sell a product over the counter there that has Tylenol and codeine in it so I got them to buy 2-3 bottles and ship it over without a return address so they wouldn't get in trouble. Customs of course got it and sent me a letter stating something was caught and what it was. I wasn't going to admit to it if they asked anyways lol

Just play dumb and tell them you was not expecting anything or you may get charged to destroy illegal stuff if they choose if they can truly tie it to you

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092384
06/14/24 07:46 PM
06/14/24 07:46 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
There's still colossal mountains of money to be made in crime, the mob just ain't making it.

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: Liggio] #1092443
06/15/24 05:39 PM
06/15/24 05:39 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Liggio
There's still colossal mountains of money to be made in crime, the mob just ain't making it.

No doubt about that....on both counts.

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092447
06/15/24 05:48 PM
06/15/24 05:48 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Another legendary thread bumped up multiple times by the the kid with 3 accounts

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092451
06/15/24 06:08 PM
06/15/24 06:08 PM
C
Captbony1999 Offline
Made Member
Captbony1999  Offline
C
Made Member
Hey guys so I’ve made 400 million. Retire and live in Florida gracefully enough cash to serve 5 generations? What a stupid statement. Let’s make 600 million and keep selling drugs. Fucking idiots

Re: $430-Million "Dark Web" Racket Busted in Chicago [Re: NYMafia] #1092458
06/15/24 10:29 PM
06/15/24 10:29 PM
Houston
L
Liggio Offline
Underboss
Liggio  Offline
L
Underboss
Houston
It's probably only a matter of time before we see some mob guys or connected guys jammed up in similar schemes.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull