GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 312 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,811
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,530
Posts1,062,534
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130879
09/29/05 01:50 PM
09/29/05 01:50 PM
E
Eustachius Brown Offline OP
Made Member
Eustachius Brown  Offline OP
E
Made Member
Supernatural

I do not have great expectations for new series. Getting attached to one that you think its great is a bad idea when some greedy TV executive decides to pull the plug fro, the TV show in exchange for another banal college-life TV show. But it wasn’t easy being indifferent to “Supernatural”, a new WB show that occupies the Tuesday 8:00 space, competing with the giant (and previously reviewed) Fox show “House M.D.” The WB has the poor reputation of airing stupid dramas focused on teenagers who seem to think that they can identify with the stereotypical characters of the afore-mentioned shows. In a channel like this, “Supernatural” is like a breath of fresh, creepy and ominous air.

The show stars Jared Padalecki (from the overrated “Gilmore Girls”) and Jensen Ackles (from the occasionally good “Smallville”) as brothers Sam and Dean who, at a very young age, lost their mother when she was muredered, pined into the house's ceiling and burned by an unknown force. Their father became obsessed with the supernatural and trained them as warriors.

Sam abandoned his father's quest and joined college, only to join Dean in a mission concerning a roadside weeping woman ghost. When Sam returns he finds his gir,lfriend murdered in the same way as his mother. From then on, Sam and Dean embark in a travel all around the country to hunt down and kill all the supernatural fiends from hell who terrorize us.

This series, believe it or not, is scary as hell. At the beginning of the pilot, the disclaimer informed me that, in order to enhance viewing experience, I should turn off the lights. I jumped more times in that episode that I've done in recent cinematic horror experiences.

The chemistry between Padalecki and Ackles is top-notch. They portrayal of their brotherly relationship in a very true-to life and un-sappy manner. Testosterone rules this show as there are no female regular members, but female guests (extremely attractive all of them, and so far all of them have been brunettes)This aspect is perfectly summed up when Padalecki tries to apologize to Ackles for a recent tantrum, only to be rebutted ("Hey no chick-flick moments...bitch")Of course, women might enjoy this show for the good scares and reasonable good-looks of baby faced Padalecki and rugged and tough Ackles (who reminds me of a shorter, more badass Freddie Prinze Jr.)

The scares are genuine, the chemistry with the two leads is great and the high entrentainment factor is guaranteed. The 2nd episode was concerned with the Indian cannibal wood monster known as the Wendigo and the 3rd dealt with an hostile entity that controlled a town's lake in search of revenge. The fourth episode looks creepy as the brothers find themselves in an airplane and a possessed passenger whom they have to exorcised before the plane is taken down into the abyss.

Supernatural has some competition with House, but I suggest you try catching them both the best you can. So far, Supernatural looks like one of the biggest winners of the new series wave.

96/100

Re: Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130880
09/29/05 01:55 PM
09/29/05 01:55 PM
E
Made Member
E
Made Member
Extra notes: I have a dded a rating system to the reviews, something I didn't do for house (which also got a 96)

How EB grades: 20 points per category

Directing: 20
Writing: 19
Acting: 18
Technical effects (CGI, special effects, makeup): 19
Cinematography/Sound/Music: 20

Besides my "Best of Network TV" series I'm ddoing "Boringest shows" on TV, a "With the Beatles a tht emovies" series and a couple movie reviews and music essays. More projects soon.

NEXT ON BEST OF NETWORK TV: PBS British Comedy Block

Re: Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130881
09/29/05 02:27 PM
09/29/05 02:27 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
E.B.,

I just happened to catch that show at it's debut. I agree with you. The first episode captured my attention right away with the creepy death of the mother. I enjoyed last night's episode as well with the mysterious lake disappearances. Hopefully they'll give this show a chance to get it's audience. If it continues to be as good as it was the first couple episodes, it'll be a success.

Regarding the brothers. I watch Smallville and don't know which brother was in it. What part did he play?

I also like Medium (which started last season). I try not to be too surprised if any of my favorites are cancelled, even tho it's disappointing. Sometimes they only run two or three episodes and they're off the air.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130882
09/29/05 02:32 PM
09/29/05 02:32 PM
E
Made Member
E
Made Member
Hi Tis!

The tough bropther Dean (Jensen Ackles) played the P.E. teacher of Clark's High School and Lana's boyfriend.

I haven't seen Medium but I'll check it out. Have you seen the new show "Ghost Whisperer"?

And I'm glad you liked it. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the WB gives this series a good run (as long as the episodes continue to be as good as the previous)

EB

Re: Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130883
09/30/05 01:06 PM
09/30/05 01:06 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Well Brown, I'll take your word for it, because network programs involving some supernatural or fantasy monster angle either works in a superb way where the "entity" doesn't feel like a damn gimmick...or they do.

For example, from the past that work without feeling stupid......STAR TREK, THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE X-FILES, etc.

But hey, I haven't seen this SUPERNATURAL, so I gotta give it a chance, right?

Re: Best of Network TV II: "Supernatural" #130884
09/30/05 01:14 PM
09/30/05 01:14 PM
E
Made Member
E
Made Member
Yes, give it a chance. You won't regret it (although it's too bad you missed the 1st episode. It's been the scariest so far. Catch it in the reruns)

P.S. Part III coming in just a few minutes

EB

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull