GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 307 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,811
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,530
Posts1,062,534
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130994
09/30/05 02:22 PM
09/30/05 02:22 PM
E
Eustachius Brown Offline OP
Made Member
Eustachius Brown  Offline OP
E
Made Member
Ever since I was a young boy I always been a fan of British humor. As a matter of fact, I grew up watching Monty Phyton along with the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges and the absurdist movies of the Zucker team. I extremely enjoyed the dry wit, the deadpan one-liners, sharp observations and sarcastic put-downs that sprang from the mouths of the Brits. The humor was so much more brutally honest and unflappably hilarious than the American humor and it still holds to this day.

That’s why I always look forward to Saturday nights on PBS (the first show starts at 8:00 PM San Francisco time) for the Comedy Block of BBC exported comedies from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and today. I don’t see all of them, so I’ll just briefly the ones I watch

Keeping Up Appearences - The show centers around Hyacinth Bucket (who likes to inform people that her last name is actually spelled “bouquet”), a snotty, uppity-clappity woman who tries to climb up the social ladders through all sorts of schemes. Along for the ride is her husband, Richard, a poor fellow who has no other option than to follow his wife’s crazy plans to become part of the cream of society, even though if he tries to reason with her in vain. Other characters include the Bucket’s neighbors (the Hawksworth, a brother and sister that serve as Hyacinth’s object of flaunting) and Hyacinth’s working class sister Daisy, who lives in a small, crappy apartment with her husband Onslow, who by far is the best character in the series, an unemployed slob who spends all his time on bed, but attended the open university and is a walking (more like “resting” really) encyclopedia of universal knowledge. The humor is dry and light, and the major comedic strength comes from the predictability of the characters, which makes them more endearing than mundane. 93/100

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098837/

Rose: Why is Onslow reading the Financial Times?
Onslow: I like to keep an eye on the economy. A bloke in my position has to wonder how long the country can afford him. If we don't get the economy right, people like me are gonna be in trouble!

Are You Being Served? My personal favorite. The story centers around the clothing department store at a London mall, where Men and Lady Intimate’s apparel share only a couple feet of distance due to lack of space. The motley crew of quirky characters include floor supervisor Captain Peacock, a self-important, pompous and delusional former British officer; Mrs. Slocombe, who wears her hair with all sorts of outrageous colors, likes to sing her own praises and, as part of a running joke, talks about her pussycat a lot (often resulting in a double-entendre joke); the sarcastic, disrespectful always tardy junior staffer Mr. Lucas (who was later substituted by Mr. Spooner); the sexy Miss Brahms; the jug-eared, well-intentioned manager Mr. Rumbold; the ancient, clueless, cradle-robbing manager Young Mr. Grace (later substituted by Old Mr. Grace); the Maintenance officer Mr. Mash (later Mr. Harman) who does not fear his superior, enjoys making grand speeches nobody cares about and takes a bigger paycheck that the rest of the staff; the traditional senior staffer of Men’s wear Mr. Grainger and the best of them all: the raucously camp and sexually ambiguous Mr. Humphries, who, with his effeminate accent (which he modulates to sound more masculine when he answers the phone at “MEN’S WEAR” and has the best phrasing of “I’m Free” in history), mannerisms and large arsenal of double entendres, is the biggest strength in the show. This is a character driven show with lots of funny episodes (watch out for the latter seasons. Those are a mixed bag) 96/100

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068040/

(During a speech by Mr. Rumbold)
[pause]
Mr. Lucas: I've seen "Bambi".
Miss Brahms: Well, by the time Rumbold's finished rabbitting on, the virgin will have been satisfied and everybody will have gone home.

Mr. Rumbold: Let's try to keep it light and gay.
Mr. Lucas: [to Mr. Humphries] I'll handle the "light" part.

(During a fire resuce mission)
Mrs. Slocombe: I hope this isn't going to take long Captain Peacock. The last time I was late a fireman had to climb out of my bedroom window and risk his life on a narrow ledge trying to grab hold of my pussy.
Mr. Lucas: They're very brave these firemen.

My Hero- The most recent of the shows, the plot concerns the superhero Thermoman from planet Ultron, whose alter-ego is healthy-store owner is Irishman George Sunday. George is completely clueless about Earth and this leads to a lot of humorous misunderstanding (although the people around him blame his stupidity because on his supposed Irish blood). He is married to Janet, a pretty nurse of the local clinic ruled by the hilariously arrogant and self-important Dr. Piers Crispin (“I’m Always Here.” Is his catchphrase, which is ironic since he spends most of his time on his morning show trying to get famous) and the nasty, 100% evil Mrs. Raven. George is disliked by his in-laws (particularly his opportunistic mother-in-law Ella, but he is mostly tolerated by father-in-law Stanley, who is more of a reluctant puppet to Ella than a husband) The only ones besides Janet who know George’s secret are cousin Arnie (who used to be Earth’s protector but lost the position when he started charging for his heroism. He is currently in a relationship with Mrs. Raven) and (my favorite) Tyler, a whacked-out Liverpudlian whose “invisible” acquaintances include Gandalf the Gray, Frodo Baggins, Chewbacca and the Anti-Christ. A very funny and surreal situtational series. Unfortunately, lead actor Ardal O’Hanlon is going to be substituted by a cast member of the series reviewed below. He is going to leave hard to fill shoes. 94/100

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233084/

Tyler: Got any coffee I can borrow?
George: I don't drink coffee.
Tyler: I don't drink coffee either. It's a drug. It messes with your brain.
George: Why do you want some then?
Tyler: I'm flying to Neptune and I need it to fuel the rockets.

George: I've just erased a doctor's entire medical knowledge.
Arnie: Heh! I did that for a bet once. The guy practiced for another 20 years!

Mrs. Raven: I can't go; I'm taking the triplets to see the exorcist.
Dr. Piers Crispin: Aren't they a little young for that film, Mrs. Raven?
Mrs. Raven: What film?

The Thin Blue Line - A short-lived but hysterical and well-written comedy with socio-political undertones, it stars Rowan Atkinson (“The Black Adder”, “Mr. Bean”) as Inspector Fowler, an old-fashioned, by the book chief of a small-city police department who frequently clashes with the CID (the detective department) and its head, Detective Grim, an no-nonsense, hot-headed, Dirty Harry-wannabe who, along with vulgar and surly sidekick (Detective Kray, later Boyle) tries to bust “real” crimes so he can get accepted in the Yard (his standard “oity oity” rants are some of the funniest words you’ll ever hear on TV!). Fowler commands a rather rag-tag group: Sgt. Dawkins (who happens to be his middle-aged, unsatisfied girlfriend), the good-looking and socially conscious Constable Habib; the non-sequitur spouting Trinidad veteran Gladstone and the outrageously camp Const. Goody (the actor is the one substituting O’Hanlon in my hero) who has a crush with Habib despite the fact that he is so effeminate, he makes that gay guy from Will and Grace look like the construction worker of the Village People. This is a very intelligent comedy that was cut short when great writer Ben Elton got tired of the comparisons between this series and his previous. A pity, since it was a truthfully funny and a show that tackled with several of Britain’s, and ironically the USA’s, problems: racism, xenophobia, the role of the Royal Family in today, sexism, etc. 96/100

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112194/

[Inspector Fowler is discussing political correctness with his constabulary and Grim thinks he is wasting his time]
Detective Inspector Derek Grim: What "ism" ever robbed a bank? What "ism" ever mugged anybody? What "ism" ever put a gun to somebody's head?
DC Gary Boyle: [Reading a book] Terrorism?
Detective Inspector Derek Grim: Yeah alright. What "ism" ever threatened the security of the state?
DC Gary Boyle: [Still reading] Marxism?
Detective Inspector Derek Grim: What "ism" ever hurt an old lady?
DC Gary Boyle: Sadism?

Const. Frank Gladstone: We gave our dog a bad name... Colin. Terrible name! You have no idea how many people are called Colin. We'd go to the park - I'd shout, "Come here, Colin!", and fifteen people would turn around. Big people too, sir. I mean for some reason all the big lads get called Colin. I mean - I'd shout, "Colin, you're a bad boy! I just saw you do a caca. And now, I'm going to rub your nose in it." The next thing I knew, I wake up in an ambulance.

Other series I don’t watch: “Last of the Summer Wine” (I see occasionally. 89/100), “As Time Goes By” (dramedy with Judy Dench. 87/100), “The Red Green Show” (Canadian. What I’ve seen I give 91/100) and “Coupling” (at Midnight. Too late. Saw one episode: 88/100)

EB

Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130995
09/30/05 02:32 PM
09/30/05 02:32 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
A great epic artcle EB....you should be proud of yourself.

SPACED

Before the pretty enjoyable British zombie-comedy SHAUN OF THE DEAD, the same cast and creators earlier made a pretty enjoyable, if super-geekish, comedy in SPACED, which unfortunately lasted only two "series"(to the rest of America, countries have "series" instead of seasons, per say).

The adventures of Tim and Daisy who rent a room in Marsha Klein's house under the pretense that they are a couple. Also in the house is frustrated painter Brian. Together with TA fanatic Mike and Daisy's girlfriend Twist the duo get into a series of situations with hilarious results. From gags at STAR WARS to STAR TREK and whatever else these Limeys make a joke at....

THE OFFICE

At one point, this was the "it" British sitcom for hip Americans to get into about 4-2 years ago. Fuck those trend-followers, the comedy was pretty damn funny. Not to mention the first UK-sitcom to win a Golden Globe.

Of course, many others know of the new American remake with Steve 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN Carrell replacing the original's Ricky Gervais.

Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130996
09/30/05 02:45 PM
09/30/05 02:45 PM
E
Made Member
E
Made Member
I haven't seen SPACED and the OFFICE (don't have BBC)Someday though...

Yeah, I'm very proud of mya article. Hopefully, more people should comment (specially the board's Brits) and those who haven't seen them should.

I intend to write reviews on the Blackadder "series", Mr. Bean and MP's Flying Circus sometime.

NEXT: The CSI Trilogy

Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130997
09/30/05 03:10 PM
09/30/05 03:10 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Last year I studied, in some depth, the codes and conventions of sitcom, comparing, for an exam (on which I got top marks ) the differences and similarities between US sitcoms and British sitcoms in general, and their depiction of gender politics in particular. I compared Friends with Men Behaving Badly.

You're right in your summation of Keeping Up Appearances of character predictability and audience assumptions projected onto them: the key element of a sitcom is the feeling of being trapped in its own little world, with none of the characters escaping. It makes Porridge a quite literal example of this notion: a largely two-character sitcom based in a British Prison.

Keeping Up Appearances is my favourite of the ones you listed.

Good article,
Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130998
09/30/05 03:23 PM
09/30/05 03:23 PM
E
Made Member
E
Made Member
I appreciate your comments Capo! It's good to know that my review got a thumbs up from you.

It must be cool growing up in England with so many good comedy around eh?

EB

Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #130999
10/01/05 09:09 AM
10/01/05 09:09 AM
Los Angeles
Letizia B. Offline
Underboss
Letizia B.  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Last year I studied, in some depth, the codes and conventions of sitcom, comparing, for an exam (on which I got top marks ) the differences and similarities between US sitcoms and British sitcoms in general, and their depiction of gender politics in particular. I compared Friends with Men Behaving Badly.
I'd love to read it, do you have it on your computer?

EB, great choices of sitcoms! I watch Are You Being Served? and The Thin Blue Line when I happen to see them on, and I like The Office, too. I catch the rest here and there. Always worth the watch, though. I don't exactly prefer them over American comedy, but each has its time and place (and mood).

Have you ever seen Absolutely Fabulous? I know, Mick, I know! :p But it's just such a clever and hysterical show. I actually TiVo that one... I don't wait to just "catch" it. Fawlty Towers is brilliant too-- not sure if that was mentioned in this thread, but I know there have been other threads about it.

Re: Best of Network TV III (British Comedy Block on PBS) #131000
10/01/05 12:08 PM
10/01/05 12:08 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Since I got full marks, my school may pay the exam board for the paper back, to show future students (since the teachers don't know how to teach); until then, 'Zia, I won't be able to post the essay. Incidentally, on the other half of the same paper (textual analysis), I had to technically analyze an excerpt of Lord of the Rings, with the black riders coming for Frodo at hilltop. It helped that I'd seen the film, I think, although the teacher keeps saying it doesn't make a difference.

Ab Fab is as culturally significant as Men Behaving Badly as far as popular mainstream TV audiences go. From it, we can take much as regards the way we see, depict and anticipate women in society and on the media. Too commercial for my tastes.

Thanks,
Mick

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull