GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Kangaroo Don, 1 invisible), 793 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,934
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,299
Hollander 26,336
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,814
Posts1,069,524
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why the 25th of december? #141375
12/26/05 07:53 PM
12/26/05 07:53 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
I don't want to start a religious debate, but scientists have found out since long that Jezus was actually born in the year 7 BC. And if I remember it correctly, they also know which month it was, and that certainly wasn't december. (Sorry, I can't remember which date month it really was)

Now I know there are a lot of pro-25/12 arguments (cold weather, close to New Year, a general 'habit', ...) but would you dislike it if Christmas would be celebrated on the historically correct date?

And there were holidays that were given an other date before.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141376
12/26/05 09:46 PM
12/26/05 09:46 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Astronomers have calculated that Jesus was born in the Spring. This was determined by a conjunction of planets and stars that would have appeared very bright; thus the Star of Bethlehem. Early Christians started celebrating the birth of Christ in December to coincide with a Roman/pagan celebration. They did this so as not to drawn attention and further persecution.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141377
12/27/05 01:04 AM
12/27/05 01:04 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The "Roman/pagan" celebration was the Winter Solstice which usually falls on December 21. Mary Cas is right, most theories place the birth of Jesus sometime in the spring however the exact date is not known.

From wikipedia.com:
"When was the original Christmas?
See also Chronology of Jesus
According to one tradition, Jesus was born during Hanukkah (25 Kislev into the beginning of Tevet). Under the old Julian calendar, the popular choice of 5 BC for the year of Jesus' birth would place 25 Kislev at November 25.
Early Christians sought to calculate the date of Christ's birth based on the idea that Old Testament prophets died either on an anniversary of their birth or of their conception. They reasoned that Jesus died on an anniversary of his conception, so the date of his birth was nine months after the date of Good Friday, either December 25 or January 6.
St. Hippolytus, who was already knowledgeably defending the faith in writing at the start of the third century, said that Christ was born Wednesday, December 25, in the 42nd year of Augustus' reign (see his Commentary on Daniel, circa 204, Bk. 4, Ch. 23).
Additional calculations are made based on the six-year almanac of priestly rotations, found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Some believe that this almanac lists the week when John the Baptist's father served as a high priest. As it is implied that John the Baptist could only have been conceived during that particular week, and as his conception is believed to be tied to that of Jesus, it is claimed that an approximate date of December 25 can be arrived at for the birth of Jesus. However, most scholars (e.g. Catholic Encyclopedia in sources) believe this calculation to be unreliable as it is based on a string of assumptions.
The apparition of the angel Gabriel to Zechariah, announcing that he was to be the father of John the Baptist, was believed to have occurred on Yom Kippur. This was due to a belief (not included in the Gospel account) that Zechariah was a high priest and that his vision occurred during the high priest's annual entry into the Holy of Holies. If John's conception occurred on Yom Kippur in late September, then his birth would have been in late June. If John's birth was on the date ascribed by tradition, June 24, then the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary, said by the Gospel account to have occurred three month's before John's birth, would have been in late March. (Tradition fixed it on March 25.) The birth of Jesus would then have been on December 25, nine months after his conception. As with the previous theory, proponents of this theory hold that Christmas was a date of significance to Christians before it was a date of significance to pagans.

Dates of celebration
Christmas is now celebrated on December 25 in Roman Catholic, Protestant, and some Eastern Orthodox churches, such as the Greek and Romanian Orthodox Church. The majority of Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Christmas on January 7. This date results from their having accepted neither the reforms of the Gregorian calendar nor the Revised Julian calendar, with their ecclesiastic December 25 thus falling on the secular date of January 7 from 1900 to 2099. This calendrical difference has led to confusion on the part of those unfamiliar with the older calendar. The Orthodox churches begin preparing for Christmas with a fast that begins 40 days before Christmas and ends with Christmas, dubbed the "Feast of the Nativity of our Lord, God, and Saviour Jesus Christ."
Dates for the more secular aspects of the Christmas celebration are similarly varied. In the United Kingdom, the Christmas season traditionally runs for twelve days beginning on Christmas Day. These twelve days of Christmas, a period of feasting and merrymaking, end on Twelfth Night, the eve of the Feast of the Epiphany. This period corresponds with the liturgical season of Christmas. Medieval laws in Sweden declared a Christmas peace (julefrid) to be twenty days, during which fines for robbery and manslaughter were doubled. Swedish children still celebrate a party, throwing out the Christmas tree (julgransplundring), on the 20th day of Christmas (January 13, Knut's Day).
In practice, the Christmas period has grown longer in some countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, and now begins many weeks before Christmas, allowing more time for shopping and get-togethers. It often extends beyond Christmas Day up to New Year's Day, this later holiday having its own parties. In the Philippines, radio stations usually start playing Christmas music during what is called the "-ber months" (September, October, etc.); this usually marks the start of the Christmas season.
Countries that celebrate Christmas on December 25 recognize the previous day as Christmas Eve, and vary on the naming of December 26. In the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia, and Poland, Christmas Day and the following day are called First and Second Christmas Day. In many European and Commonwealth countries, December 26 is referred to as Boxing Day, while in Finland, Ireland, Italy, Romania, Austria and Catalonia (Spain) it is known as St. Stephen's Day."

Re: Why the 25th of december? #141378
12/27/05 02:24 AM
12/27/05 02:24 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
would you dislike it if Christmas would be celebrated on the historically correct date?
Not being a Christian, maybe I shouldn't have a vote.

However....

Part of what makes any holiday a "holiday" is tradition.

Maybe December 25th is not the historically correct date of Jesus' birth, but Christmas has been celebtrated on that date for so long that I think that people would dislike it - and rightfully so - if the date were suddenly changed.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141379
12/27/05 03:05 AM
12/27/05 03:05 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
Part of what makes any holiday a "holiday" is tradition.
Uh-oh. So what about the reason for the season thingy? :p
I don't know.

Our New Year begins exactly at the moment of beginning of Spring thanks to Omar Khayyam for adoption of Julian Calendar and his contributions to it. Festivities continue four days for everyone and 13 days for school kids. I'm glad this holiday remained pagan for us despite all who tried to force Islamic holidays to replace our old traditions with them.

I'm still trying to figure out what caused the date difference between the Julian and the Gregorian calendar though. Now if the actual date is also different, that can add up to my confusion. :rolleyes:

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141380
12/27/05 08:00 AM
12/27/05 08:00 AM
It's fun to stay in the YMCA
Turi Giuliano Offline
Turi Giuliano  Offline

It's fun to stay in the YMCA
We celebrate xmas because of who now?

I thought christmas is about family, food and presents. Not some ancient hippy.

So die all who betray Giuliano
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141381
12/27/05 08:57 AM
12/27/05 08:57 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
We celebrate xmas because of who now?

I thought christmas is about family, food and presents. Not some ancient hippy.
The ancient hippy...that's Christmas. You celebrate xmas for the folks on Wall St., and all those other international monetary folks.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141382
12/27/05 11:32 AM
12/27/05 11:32 AM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
I don't want to start a religious debate, but scientists have found out since long that Jezus was actually born in the year 7 BC. And if I remember it correctly, they also know which month it was, and that certainly wasn't december. (Sorry, I can't remember which date month it really was)

Now I know there are a lot of pro-25/12 arguments (cold weather, close to New Year, a general 'habit', ...) but would you dislike it if Christmas would be celebrated on the historically correct date?

And there were holidays that were given an other date before.
To quote Bluto Blutarsky,

"WHY NOT?"

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141383
12/28/05 08:07 AM
12/28/05 08:07 AM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
Not some ancient hippy.
I'd go even further: A leftwing-troublemaker hippy.

Wait a sec: Leftwing-troublemaker? Hippy? Ancient? Jew?
I got it!!!

Plaw = Jesus!
Or, he's at least the incarnation of Jesus!

Nice day for me, I solved a religious problem.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Why the 25th of december? #141384
12/28/05 08:26 AM
12/28/05 08:26 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
[b] Not some ancient hippy.
I'd go even further: A leftwing-troublemaker hippy.

Wait a sec: Leftwing-troublemaker? Hippy? Ancient? Jew?
I got it!!!

Plaw = Jesus!
Or, he's at least the incarnation of Jesus!

Nice day for me, I solved a religious problem. [/b][/quote]I say we crucify him! :p (j/k)

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull