GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 352 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday DE NIRO.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,713
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,507
Posts1,062,080
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4937
12/03/03 07:29 PM
12/03/03 07:29 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Don Vanchenzo  Offline OP
Capo
Southeast USA
This is from another thread (Should Mike have killed Kay) but I figured it best to move it to its own.

Now, for my statement - you have to go to the time where Mike was at the end of GFII, you have to be bitter, you have to have lost everything and everyone close to you via murder, divorce or natural death. You have to look at the man you entrusted your family to while you were away making a huge deal for the family. You have to remember that Mike told Tom:

"I give you complete power, TOM -- over FREDO and his men, ROCCO, NERI, everyone. I am trusting you with the lives of my wife and my children -- the future of this family."

During that the time Mike was away, Kay had an abortion and emotionally divorced herself from Mike, Pentangeli turned, and Roth got the upper hand - for the moment. That is why Mike is so bitter towards Tom in the end. At that point, if I had been Michael, I'd have whacked Tom to vent my anger over my loss of family, rather than Kay or anyone else. orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4938
12/03/03 07:30 PM
12/03/03 07:30 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Capo
Southeast USA
P.S.: Personally, I like Tom and I think it would have been a mistake to do; however, given Mike's state of mind at the time, Tom was the obvious scapegoat for Mike's inadequacies as Don. orange

"The Godfather was a man to whom everybody came for help and never were they disappointed. He made no empty promises, nor the craven excuse that his hands were tied by more powerful forces in the world than himself. It was not necessary that he be your friend, it was not even important that you had no means with which to repay him. Only one thing was required. That you, yourself, proclaim your friendship. And then, no matter how poor or powerless the supplicant, the Godfather would take that person's troubles to his heart. He would let nothing stand in the way to a solution of that person's woe. His reward? Friendship, the respectful title 'Don' and sometimes the more affectionate salutation of 'Godfather.' Perhaps, to show respect only, never for profit, some humble gift - a gallon or homemade wine or a basket of fresh baked goods on a holiday. It was understood to proclaim that you were in his debt and that he had the right to call upon you at any time to redeem the debt by some small service." -- Mario Puzo, The Godfather (1969).
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4939
12/03/03 10:16 PM
12/03/03 10:16 PM
Connecticut
Don Lights Offline
Underboss
Don Lights  Offline
Underboss
Connecticut
How was Tom Hagen supposet to deal with Kay Michael's wife? Tell me what he was suppose to do. Tom is like a brother to Michael and Tom would never betray Michael. Tom also isn't a war consligere like that was established in Godfather Part I and Michael should have know that, but I agree that Michael used Hagen as the scapegoat when the situation got tough with Kay having the abortion.

Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4940
12/04/03 01:51 AM
12/04/03 01:51 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Justified or not, Michael felt Tom was loyal, but not a good consigliere. From Michael's viewpoint, Tom failed to see that Carlo would betray Sonny, leading to Sonny's death and Michael's forced ascendency as Don. Kay had an abortion on Tom's watch: even though he forbade her to leave the compound, she must have contrived to have a doctor whom Tom approved perform it. Then Tom failed to find out that Frankie Pentangeli survived the attempted murder. "Our people with the New York detectives said he was half-dead, scared, talking out loud..." Duh, Tom! How come your people with the New York detectives didn't tell you that before you allowed your one and only client to perjure himself five times before a Senate subcommittee?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4941
12/04/03 09:16 AM
12/04/03 09:16 AM
king henrik Offline
Wiseguy
king henrik  Offline
Wiseguy
sorry totally disagree. Tom couldnt do anything to prevent what happened during Mike's short absence.

It's not personal, Sonny...It's strictly business
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4942
12/04/03 09:26 PM
12/04/03 09:26 PM
East coast
tripwire Offline
Button
tripwire  Offline
Button
East coast
It makes you wonder if Duvall actually was in GF3 if FFC would have had him whacked.

"Onoratu circulu a tutti vi salutu
Finu a la morti a vui su vinculatu
Lo fazzu l'omu pi sangu e onori."
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4943
12/05/03 01:20 AM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by tripwire:
It makes you wonder if Duvall actually was in GF3 if FFC would have had him whacked.
Con respetto, mei amici, Tom would have been dead if FFC would have had him whacked. No Obi-Wan type of influence here. In fact, many friends of mine say that Mike had Tom killed between II and III which is why he is contrite to Tom Jr.

Mike's anger was founded in and rooted at Tom at the end of GFII, albeit improperly. Tom's lucky to have made it out alive then. Questionably, he may have paid the ultimate price before 1979 at Mike's hands.

Remember, Tom was Sonny's brother. Sonny found him off the streets and asked Vito to protect him. Mike followed Sonny's lead. The bond between Mike and Tom was nothing compared to Sonny and Tom. Sonny would have never crossed Tom in the same way Mike did. Capide? orange

Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4944
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Capo
Southeast USA
Originally posted by tripwire:
Con respetto, mei amici, Tom would have been dead if FFC would have had him whacked. No Obi-Wan type of influence here. In fact, many friends of mine say that Mike had Tom killed between II and III which is why he is contrite to Tom Jr.

Mike's anger was founded in and rooted at Tom at the end of GFII, albeit improperly. Tom's lucky to have made it out alive then. Questionably, he may have paid the ultimate price before 1979 at Mike's hands.

Remember, Tom was Sonny's brother. Sonny found him off the streets and asked Vito to protect him. Mike followed Sonny's lead. The bond between Mike and Tom was nothing compared to Sonny and Tom. Sonny would have never crossed Tom in the same way Mike did. Capide? orange

Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4945
12/05/03 10:25 AM
12/05/03 10:25 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
in my opinion killing Tom would be an absurd, since he never betrayed the family and no one of the troubles that came when he was as Don were caused by him. even if you consider he was a bad Don and/or a bad consigliere, I think this wouldn't be a reason to kill him. maybe he should just be sidelined.
if "not being that smart" was a reason to be killed, Fredo would have been killed a long time before the time he actually was.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4946
12/05/03 05:38 PM
12/05/03 05:38 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Don Vanchenzo:
... During that the time Mike was away, Kay had an abortion and emotionally divorced herself from Mike, Pentangeli turned, and Roth got the upper hand - for the moment. That is why Mike is so bitter towards Tom in the end. At that point, if I had been Michael, I'd have whacked Tom to vent my anger over my loss of family, rather than Kay or anyone else...
This is so absurd it almost doesn't warrant a response, but I believe you brought up the topic to make waves, so here I am to help out.

First of all, all the things you mention (Kay's abortion/Frankie's betrayal/Roth's 'upper hand') were all in the works even before Mike left Tom in charge. It was Fredo who gave Roth the temporary 'upper hand'. Kay had just about had it when her bedroom got shot into. It was all a matter of time.

What you seem to forget is that while Mike was away Tom arranged to get Sen. Geary in the Corleone's pocket and also confined Kay & the children to the compound...thereby potentially protecting their lives.

Tom was always loyal (even when offered a legitimate position) and never gave Tom reason to doubt his loyalty. There was no reason whatsoever to even want him dead.

Second...Michael did not have people killed simply as a way to 'vent' his anger. He had people killed because they had intentionally caused harm to and betrayed his Family.

That said, I still think you started this topic as a joke and aren't really serious.

We're heading home early because of the snow here in NJ. Have a good weekend, everyone!!

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4947
12/05/03 08:04 PM
12/05/03 08:04 PM
king henrik Offline
Wiseguy
king henrik  Offline
Wiseguy
i believe appleonya deserves a round of applause. very well said. Tom was always a great guy and loyal.

remember he was offered a job elsewhere is part II, a legit job and he turned it down to stay with the family.

i believe every family could have done with a Tom Hagen. "my krout-mc-friend" lol...that bit was scripted it wasnt in the book was it?

It's not personal, Sonny...It's strictly business
Re: Personally, I'd have killed Tom. #4948
12/12/03 02:57 PM
12/12/03 02:57 PM
Southeast USA
Don Vanchenzo Offline OP
Capo
Capo
Southeast USA
This is so absurd it almost doesn't warrant a response, but I believe you brought up the topic to make waves, so here I am to help out.
[c]***[/c]
That said, I still think you started this topic as a joke and aren't really serious.

AppleOnYa [/QB]
You are a smaaaaat lady. grin orange orange

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull