GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (m2w), 296 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday The Irish Mafia 28.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,824
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,554
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,535
Posts1,062,633
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Capri] #1039369
08/25/22 04:30 PM
08/25/22 04:30 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Capri
After getting what they wanted all along, why chisel Corleone territories?

The agreement that Barzini and the other Dons made at the Commission meeting was limited: Vito agreed to provide political protection for drug trafficking in the East, Barzini and the other Dons agreed not to interfere with Michael's safe return to the US. Nothing else was covered. Why wouldn't Barzini chisel Corleone Territory, especially since Michael and Vito were feigning weakness? If they didn't like it, they could fight back.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039405
08/27/22 12:05 AM
Australia
K
Kangaroo Don Offline
Underboss
Kangaroo Don  Offline
K
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Evita
Good point they regarded gambling as a "harmless vice,"
Wouldn't all that change when he agreed to provide political protection for "a dirty business,"

That's why Vito said no to Sol initially- that his "friends in politics wouldn't be friendly very long if they knew my business was drugs." The novel provides more detail: Sol said at the meeting that he'd use operatives with clean records "so it will be logical for judges to give light sentences." And, after the Commission meeting, Vito told Tom that if the families used "real snowbirds" (meaning guys with drugs arrests) "we'll throw up our hands and say there's nothing we can do" (or some words to that effect). IMO, both Sol and Vito were deluding themselves about drug operatives with "clean records" --greed trumps restraint and common sense every time
Right again! Turnbull The Underestimating, Overestimating, Delusions, Greed trumping restraint, common sense and caution....

My only debating point - if I have not misunderstood - it didn't seem Vito was greedy for the narcotics money

It seems to me Vito was restrained and exercised common sense and said no to Sollozzo initially because among others -
  • Vito may have felt he didn't need "a dirty business," money - too much hassle
  • concern of his "friends in politics wouldn't be friendly very long if they knew my business was drugs."

Vito, later, backed into a corner, having to bring Michael back to US safely was forced to 'barter' and reverse his original no, provided his “police/political protection” for the drugs trade

Movie - after the Commission meeting
Tom: When I meet with the Tattaglia people, should I insist that all his drug middlemen have clean records?
Vito: Mention it -- don't insist Barzini is a man who'll know that without being told

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039406
Australia
K
Kangaroo Don Offline
Underboss
Kangaroo Don  Offline
K
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Evita
Why did Barzini try to kill Michael in Sicily? The killing wouldn't go unavenged

Perhaps he tried to have Michael killed to prevent Michael from eventually avenging Sonny's murder. Then you might ask, why did Barzini agree not to interfere with Michael's return to the US? Because he and the other Dons were greedy for the drugs profits Vito's political protection would open up. They deluded themselves into believing that Michael--who had already shown his stuff by killing Sol and Mac--wouldn't be a threat to them. Greed trumps caution every time
Barzini probably thought, they could take Michael out, down the track, in the Corleones 'weakened' state, once the drug operation was up and running

Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Kangaroo Don] #1039411
08/27/22 02:34 PM
08/27/22 02:34 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Lana
[
My only debating point - if I have not misunderstood - it didn't seem Vito was greedy for the narcotics money

No, he certainly wasn't greedy for drugs money,. What I meant to say was that Vito was deluding himself if he thought that the other Dons would assure that they'd use operatives without arrest records---and that he'd be able to refuse to help a "snowbird" get off with a light sentence.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Vito's Rise and Rise [Re: Turnbull] #1039415
08/27/22 06:41 PM
08/27/22 06:41 PM
T
Trojan Offline OP
Underboss
Trojan  Offline OP
T
Underboss
I reckon the other factor to consider is complacency which resulted in these people slippin'

Vito was sitting pretty having made loads of money, with influence and power as Top Don
I agree he didn't need the hassle of "a dirty business," money

The slippin' Vito failed to see, Tattaglia and Sollozzo still climbing up the pecking order ladder, hungry for money and power, wouldn't just walk away from millions, $10M estimated, in just the first year alone

He suspected there was more to what Sollozzo was telling him, yet never occurred to him the possibility of a hit
Ten years ago could they have gotten to him?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull