James S. Ellenson, the lawyer for the family of the 6 year old has released a statement.

Lawyer: 6-year-old who shot teacher has ‘acute disability’

https://apnews.com/article/education-virginia-newport-news-children-33ed30539f279405f696ad10d4ff46a1

Apparently the 6 year old has intellectual and behavioral disabilities. I don't know if his special education was for him alone, or if the entire class he was in was a "special education" class. But the child was in a very rare “individualized education program” or IEP, which is provided to students with disabilities under federal law.

Regarding the disability, the family said the boy “was under a care plan at the school that included his mother or father attending school with him and accompanying him to class every day.”

But for whatever reasons, there was no parent with the child the day of the shooting. And... get this...

The superintendent of Newport News schools revealed last week that Richneck administrators had learned the child may have had a weapon before the shooting. But a search did not find the handgun, despite staff looking through his bag.

Ellenson told The Associated Press by phone Thursday evening that his understanding is that the gun was in the mother’s closet on a top shelf that was well over six feet high. The weapon also had a trigger lock that requires a key, similar to a bike lock.

I think is room here for many lawsuits from the parents of students that witnessed this shooting, against the school district.

Last edited by U talkin' da me ??; 01/25/23 05:00 PM.

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."