“If you make one mistake, you're dead”: undercover agent (40) testifies about infiltration into drug mafia
In an interview, a 40-year-old undercover agent opened up about Operation Eureka, one of the largest drug investigations ever in our country. The operation led to the arrest in Belgium of the infamous criminal Lucio Aquino (62) from Maasmechelen, the Genk pizza baker Marcello N. (57) and several other 'Ndrangheta suspects.

HR 05-06-24, 15:05 Last update: 15:58
LOOK. Lucio Aquino (62) was arrested in our country during operation 'Eureka'

The secret agent - codename Giorgio - is a 40-year-old employee of the Italian Carabinieri, and tells his story in ' Quotidiano Nazionale '. He says that for Operation Eureka he worked for three years with another undercover, who was employed by the Belgian federal police.

The investigation led to thirteen arrests in our country and more than a hundred worldwide. Tons of cocaine were seized and millions of euros worth of drug money was intercepted.

“The Belgian colleague took care of the infiltration phase abroad by frequenting the same places as the people we wanted to approach. "He became a trusted presence and was eventually approached by the criminals themselves," the Italian explains. According to the man, it took a year for them to infiltrate.

Belgian colleague
He suggests that the Belgian undercover agent was also active on Italian soil. “Italian law allows a foreign undercover agent to operate in Italy, together with an Italian.”

The two infiltrated a drug clan that shipped cocaine from South America to European ports for three years, between the summer of 2019 and the spring of 2022.

Suitcases full of cash
The agent's role was to “coordinate operations to transfer millions of dollars from narco traffickers,” he said. “I have seen suitcases full of cash pass before my eyes, up to a million at a time. The world of international drug trafficking is based on moving enormous amounts of money. These are necessary to finance imports, guarantee the departure of the drugs from the ports and enable retail sales.”

The investigation revealed links between the Italian mafia and the Colombian cartel Clan del Golfo, but the agents also discovered an arms trade from Pakistan to a Brazilian cartel. In addition, tons of cocaine were discovered and a turnover of millions was detected.

Swimming in the sea
Gaining the trust of criminals was not always easy. “Once they took us for a swim in the sea. Only when we were some distance from the coast and were sure that we had no technical equipment with us did they start the conversation they wanted to have.”

For an undercover it is important to always “think clearly, stay cool and be morally incorruptible”. “It is not uncommon to find yourself in difficult situations where one wrong move can jeopardize the investigation and put your life at risk. If you make one mistake, you're dead.”

Little contact with family
During all this time, the man had little contact with his family. “Contacts were extremely limited for safety reasons. My superiors were in contact with my family and provided assistance where necessary. It was a necessary sacrifice for the success of the operation and ensuring my safety and theirs.”

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/als-je-een-fout-maakt-ben-je-dood-undercoveragent-40-getuigt-over-infiltratie-in-drugsmaffia~a26c19f6/

"The king is dead, long live the king!"