LONGLEGS

Maika Monroe plays FBI agent Lee Harker, an extremely intelligent and slightly psychic agent, who's attempting to track down a serial killer who's been on a murder spree for almost 30 years and goes by the name of Longlegs (Nicolas Cage). I don't want to give away too much and I'm so glad the trailer doesn't either for a change! Monroe gives one of, if not her best performances, alongside IT FOLLOWS. She's a very bright woman but like so many other intellectuals, she's at times socially awkward and monotone; while Cage gives one of his most terrifying performances as Longlegs. His character seems to borrow bits of Buffalo Bill and the Zodiac killer (probably others as well). Cage is given a lot of freedom to amp up his performance and he uses all of it! His look, costume, even his energy is creepy. The film also reminds me of ROSEMARY'S BABY and I can easily see this becoming a classic like that (not an overstatement). Most of the story isn't fully realized until the final act which I'm fine with. There's enough meat on the table here to get fat off of until then. I really cannot say enough good things about this and can't wait to see it again. This definitely just shot up my list of favorite films of 2024! 8/10