STARVE ACRE

Based upon the novel of the same name, STARVE ACRE follows an English family living in the country. The parents, Richard (Matt Smith) and Juliette (Morfydd Clark) soon succumb to a terrible tragedy, when their son Owen (Arthur Shaw) dies from an asthma attack. However, the farm they're living on has a history and superstition surrounding it that begins to take form while the parents are grieving. I understand this may not be everyone's cup of tea as this is a folk horror tale but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was blown away and have been a fan of Clark's since seeing the highly underrated SAINT MAUD and this just reaffirms my love for her as an actress as once again, she puts together a powerful performance. Same could be said for Smith and both actors really do a great job at working with and at times against each other. Erin Richards plays Juliette's sister Harrie, who also does a great job with the screen time she's afforded. I'm very happy I took a flyer on this as it exceeded my expectations and probably another film to add to my top 10 films of 2024! 7/10