https://www.corrieredellacalabria.i...piegare-gli-imprenditori-delle-preserre/

the investigation
Bullets and painted crosses: the 'Ndrangheta's threats to "bend" the entrepreneurs of the Preserre
The complaint of the traders and suppliers imposed by the Maiolos on the shops of Acquaro. «I'll get it to you from the other side of the river»
Published: 08/14/2024 – 18:52

VIBO VALENTIA A bottle of gasoline with a lighter, three crosses painted on the garage and two cartridges. The hands of the 'ndrangheta on the shops in the town and, above all, on the management of suppliers. And to those who were not inclined to bow their heads, explicit threats with the intention of "bending" the entrepreneurs of the area . This is the climate that has been experienced over the years in the Preserre, the scene of a bloody feud between the Maiolo and Loielo clans, the two clans that ended up in the sights of the DDA last May. With the operation, which led to the arrest of 14 people, the Maiolo clan in particular was "decapitated", at the top of which, according to investigators, there are Angelo and Francesco Maiolo. The two brothers were particularly active in the import/export of products abroad, but they also managed the trade of the towns of the Preserre, imposing suppliers on the traders of the town of Acquaro and the surrounding area.

The threats: petrol and three painted crosses
The contested facts date back to 2018, when two entrepreneurs reported to the police some threats received. A bottle containing flammable liquid with a lighter attached and, a few months later, three crosses painted on the garages . Next to the front door there were also two bullet casings: explicit threats that convinced the Carabinieri to investigate the situation further. The investigations revealed that both businesses, from the day after the intimidations suffered, registered a company from Soriano among their suppliers. It is the entrepreneur himself who said that a few days earlier a boy had shown up at the shop to offer his products. The investigators reconstruct that Angelo Maiolo himself had participated "in silence" in the scene, apparently as a "simple" companion .

"Next time I'll shoot you in the head in the square"
The clan's modus operandi would later emerge from wiretaps. A " real lesson on how to bend entrepreneurs " by Angelo Maiolo to one of his associates, who had recently started selling eggs. The alleged boss of the Preserre explains that, in their absence (as prisoners, ed.) he would have had to "threaten the various shopkeepers with a firearm". "It's always us - he explains to his associate - because if you at the time..., I wasn't there, that other one wasn't there, you stopped the van " next time I'll shoot you in the head in the square, next time you come here I'll shoot you in the head, you won't bring any eggs here.... Full stop, I have to eat, and live too, I have two children, go f*** you and your mother, go sell the eggs in your village " .

A “silent” intimidating message
In the conversation Maiolo also allegedly referred to one of the two entrepreneurs who had reported the threats. " As soon as I see you don't buy the egg (blasphemy) I'll have it delivered to you from the other side of the river " he allegedly told his associate, referring to the victim. A way of saying, investigators emphasize, that he would "blow up his shop if he bought the eggs from another vendor". For the investigating judge, it was "a 'silent' intimidating message", that is, without an explicit request, but considered sufficient given the "intimidating force" of the clan. ( Ma.Ru. )