KINDS OF KINDNESS

Set over the course of 3 separate stories, director Yorgos Lanthimos twists together themes of love, manipulation, and faith. The same set of characters appear across all 3 stories opening with Robert (Jesse Plemons) carrying out every wish his invasive and controlling boss Raymond (Willem Dafoe) demands. The second story finds Daniel (Plemons) whose wife Liz (Emma Stone) goes missing on a work trip and then miraculously returns home. The final story finds both Emily (Stone) and Andrew (Plemons) as cult members attempting to find their messiah, Ruth (Margaret Qualley). This was an ambitious project and while I typically enjoy Lanthimos' work (with this being no exception), it's not his best IMO. The runtime is rather a chore at 2 hours and 44 minutes and at times it felt longer than that. But again, I do appreciate the 3 stories as each is enticing in their own way and can easily be debated upon which is the best as none were weaker than the next (although my personal favorite was the first). Each actor gives unique and at times, daring performances across this film. And again, while this isn't Yorgos' best, I appreciate the effort that went into making 3 uniquely thematic stories. 6.5/10