GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, joepuzzles234, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,934
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,299
Hollander 26,337
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,815
Posts1,069,540
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Frankie and Vincenzo #1099768
09/16/24 03:39 PM
09/16/24 03:39 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Time to revisit this:

How did Michael persuade Vincenzo to leave his "two-meal town' in Sicily and appear at the Senate hearing/ And why did a single glance from Vincenzo to Frankie convince Frankie to renounce his affidavit? Your views?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Frankie and Vincenzo [Re: Turnbull] #1099820
09/16/24 09:26 PM
09/16/24 09:26 PM
Adelaide, Australia
L
lucab19 Offline
Button
lucab19  Offline
L
Button
Adelaide, Australia
I think the 'persuasion' is obvious: somewhere in Sicily, Vincenzo's grandchildren are being 'looked after'. And the glance was just to shame him. My views.

Re: Frankie and Vincenzo [Re: Turnbull] #1099835
09/16/24 11:26 PM
09/16/24 11:26 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I think the Sicilian aspect played a big role in Frankie's decision.

1) Frankie was actually born there,and was, at heart, an old-school Mafioso.

2) When he saw his brother, I think it made him realize how far he had fallen from the values of the Tradition he had been a part of.

3) I think it was more his brother's shame than anything else that was communicated in that brief glance.

4)Knowing that he ( Frankie) would forever be known in Palermo as a rat,and that Vincenzo would be ostracized by everyone in his world,not only during his lifetime ,but the lifetimes of his children and grandchildren as well,was unacceptable to 5 Angels.
Don't forget,Sicily was the land of Vendetta.There was bloodshed between families over things like the theft of a pig committed by long dead ancestors.

Also Frankie says that his brother could have had his own Family,so I assume that the concepts of Honor, Family, and Omerta were very well ingrained in him, and Frankie's betrayal would have destroyed everything he lived for and believed in.

Re: Frankie and Vincenzo [Re: Turnbull] #1099998
09/18/24 08:01 AM
09/18/24 08:01 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I think Vincenzo probably came voluntarily, believing family honor was at stake. And I think Frankie was already ambivalent about testifying, and so didn't need much to push him in a different direction.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Frankie and Vincenzo [Re: mustachepete] #1100195
Yesterday at 02:21 AM
Yesterday at 02:21 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
I agree with all.

I think Michael dispatched Tom to Sicily to inform Vincenzo about his brother’s infamia, and to persuade Vincenzo to come to Washington to “aid his brother in his time of need.” I infer that Vincenzo was a gabellotto, from Frankie’s description to Tom: “He’s ten time tougher than me…he could have been big here, he could have had his own family.” So, Michael (through Tom) didn’t have to threaten Vincenzo—he would have seen immediately that when word of his brother’s betrayal of omerta and his own Don reached Sicily, Vincenzo’s hold over his “two meal town” would weaken, and his enemies would stop at nothing to get rid of him, even, as LucaB said, kidnapping or killing his grandchildren. I bet Tom didn’t have to work hard to convince Vincenzo to come to Washington.

As Pete astutely pointed out: Frankie was already wavering about his testimony before Vincenzo appeared: The first thing we see him saying to the FBI guys is, “Ten to one -- ten to one shot you said -- ten to one shot he would take the Fifth -- and I lose.” Sure—all the mobsters that the FBI guys hauled before Congressional hearings took the Fifth, so they told Frankie that if Michael did, he wouldn’t be needed as a witness, and his survival and betrayal of Michael would be kept secret, at least for a while. Credit Roth’s evil genius for knowing that Michael’s obsession with “legitimacy” would prevent him from ever responding to accusations of his criminal past with “I decline to answer that question because my answer might tend to incriminate me” [emphasis added]—especially before a televised hearing. Hence the brilliant perjury trap Roth set through Questadt and the committee chairman that Michael fell right into.

And as Lou said, it all came down to Sicily, honor and family. Once baleful glance from his brother and Frankie recovered the Tradition he grew up with and lived by. As Tom said to Vincenzo after the chairman adjourned the hearing: La honore di la famiglia sta posto—“The honor of the family is intact.”

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull