I had that same feeling about Kim's boyfriend. According to Chris (the ex-CTU guy Jack captured), when Jack "died", Chase left her, and she hit rock bottom. I'm assuming that Chris set her up with this "therapist" and told him to keep an eye on her.

Also, seeing as he developed and supplied the terrorists with the nerve gas, and knows something so big that he's willing to lose his wife for it, I think he may have been in on the Palmer/Michelle hits. Which tells me that he may have had Kim's boyfriend there as a counselor to find out if she knew her father was alive. And he's been there ever since to make sure no contact came between Kim and Jack.

Bear in mind that when this Chris guy first came in the picture a couple episodes back, he said he didn't believe for a second that Jack was dead.

Of course this is all speculation, but that's what makes this show great. It leaves the viewer a lot of rope to try and fill in the holes themselves.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis