Strange that I was just getting back into all things GODFATHER and then the great actor passes. Here is something I wrote for another (non-GF) forum. It was in defense of Brando's legacy, and I think it could also serve as a tribute as well.

R.I.P. Paisan

Brando (along with Montgomery Clift) was the first to show men as sensitive and emotional people. They were worlds apart in terms of approach to stars like John Wayne, Gary Cooper and Clark Gable. Brando did receive a lot of hype when he entered the scene, but nobody and nothing lives up to hype. Brando brought emotionalism, smouldering sensuality and overt sexuality to film acting. At least for men, as the dames were always ahead of the fellas in that regard. He changed the face of acting. Look at how many actors who followed him and how they owe an enormous debt to the Method style, (Robert DeNiro, James Caan, Paul Newman, James Dean, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen among MANY others) Brando was the personification of that form and he did it best. His 1950s work alone will make him a great actor and his "dross" is a helluva a lot better than some other guys' "best." We younger folks didn't have the honor to see him as he was happening and changing forever the art of screen acting, but we have seen his legacy, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not.

BTW, next time you watch the GODFATHER films, especially part II-- and you will sense Brando throughout the film, even though he is played by DeNiro, the scenes without the Vito character still seem like he could appear at any moment. That's because Brando left an indelible mark on that first film. Coppola himself said that Brando haunted the second film and he didn't even need him for a cameo because the man's presence was that powerful.

Don't put yourselves on the wrong side of history, boys and girls. Brando will still be great long after our grandchildren have passed on.

"Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."