Plaw, that would depend. I am not familiar with the vows exchanged in a civil ceremony. Are they the same Until Death sort? If they are, then that's that. Of course there are circumstances, such as spousal abuse, and that union should be dissolved. But considering that some folks want to divorce because of the way the other person hangs the toilet paper, then that's just stupid.

IMHO, marriage is hard work. It's not easy. I think that too many people opt for divorce when they feel that the fairy tale is over. Well, guess what?? It never was one. That's for story books. I don't personally believe that people should stay in marriages that are harmful, just for the sake of the institution, but I do believe that society's acceptance of divorce has led to way too many of them. People opt out of marriages when things get tough because they're convinced that something better is out there. And do you know who is suffering? Our children.

Get this through your head - there is nothing better out there. The same cutie that you're so hot for right now will age and become everyday and ho-hum, just like your current spouse. After cooking, cleaning and taking care of the kids, and possibly holding an additional job outside the home, there will be days when your wife doesn't look like the woman you married. After a tough day at work and a horrendous commute, your husband doesn't resemble that hot young stud you fell in love with. GET OVER IT!! That's reality. And too many people go for the easy divorce because they didn't think that reality and marriage would ever cross paths.

But that's just me...

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club