GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lou_Para, RushStreet), 727 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,783
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,527
Posts1,062,411
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166632
10/10/06 07:05 PM
10/10/06 07:05 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
THE BOARDS WILL BE SHUT DOWN ANY TIME NOW, AND REMAIN DOWN FOR APPROX 12 HOURS

I'm looking at doing the switch this weekend: I'm gonna shut BOTH boards down around 3AM ET Saturday (Midnight PT Friday) and let the importer do its thing for 8-9 hours while I sleep. Then when I get up I'll fine-tune stuff that I've been working on the past couple weeks if they were lost. (And hopefully the importer doesn't hang, or my connection goes down, in the middle of the night to delay things)

If all goes smoothly, it should be up and running Saturday afternoon. If all does NOT go smoothly, it could be Saturday evening or even Sunday. (It better not interfere with football! lol)

Anyone wishing email updates during that timeframe, please EMAIL webmaster@GangsterBB.NET me (starting now) with "Board Updates Please" as the subject, and I'll keep y'all informed on the progress!

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO BE SURE THAT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE UP-TO-DATE IN YOUR PROFILES!

Okay, folks - for the past couple weeks I've been busy playing with the latest version of UBB. I'm quite excited about it, actually, as there are so many cool new things available!

*** The new board should be installed the weekend of Oct 21, causing considerable downtime ***

I'm gonna list some of the PROS and CONS first:

UPDATED 10/15:

PROS
  • Database backend which should run more efficiently than the current setup, with less of a chance of my overwriting it
  • ALL current posts will be brought over, so nothing will be lost
  • I can post important Announcements to all forums at the same time so they won't be missed. That would've been good for this posting!
  • Will include a left-side column with a Search box, Who's Online (you can be invisible), Links, Board stats, and more
  • Uur old friend "Shout Box" (this one works - in fact, the last shouts from 2004 are still on there!), Calendar displaying member birthdays (if you have one designated - don't worry, you don't need to include the year!), Optional Private Calendar for your own use, and more. (The right-side column has been disabled to allow more room for the forums)
  • You can have 200 PMs rather than 60. You can even PM up to 10 people at once! (They're called Private Topics)
  • Sub-forums can be created if I feel the need
  • You'll be able to attach certain files to your posts, within reason - and until this gets abused. There will be a file size limit.
  • You'll finally be able to upload your own avatars (up to 5k), and the avatar size has been increased from 64x64 to 72x72 (Any bigger and I'd have to remake all the ones we have already)
  • I'll be activating RSS feeds for some or all forums if desired by you guys
  • With "Topic Watching" you can subscribe to a topic w/ optional email alerts. You can watch forums, topics, or even other members
  • Increased Polling functions
  • New Post Editor allows you to change font, font color, font size and more!
  • Quick Reply may or may not be implemented - I haven't decided yet. It's off for now, to avoid confusion.
  • Topic Ratings - know at a glace which topics are worth visiting
  • This could be good or bad: The Importer imports A BUNCH of old PM you sent/received! So you'll have to delete a slew of them. However, if there were any you regretted deleting in the past, you MIGHT get them back (if the OTHER person didn't delete it)
  • Your Profile can include more IM addresses, and a "public" email address different than your official one if you choose
  • You can still turn off other people's avatars and signatures - but I'm still not allowing images in signatures because it's unsightly. Unless I can control the size of them - we'll see.
  • If there are Categories that you NEVER visit, you can collapse them to hide them if you want
  • Active Topics for past 24, 48 hours or 7 days
  • EVENTUALLY, Live Chat can be integrated into the BB, using your BB name! (I may need to take donations first for that, tho )
  • The BB reports the latest 5 newest members rather than just 1
  • The Top 5 posters are also listed, which should make Irishman and DE NIRO happy
  • You have the option to view the BB in "Threaded" View (I don't care for it, but now it's a profile option for those who do)
  • Admins and Mods can enter the Admin/Mod Control Panel instantly
  • By clicking on a user's name on a post, you can instantly view their profile, PM them, "watch" them, or view their other posts
  • You can email a post to a friend, and print out an entire topic
  • You'll be able to search all forums at once, like in the past
  • "Preview Post" is really cool
  • Multiple skins will allow you to view the board in different ways - the default "GBB" style emulates this board
  • I'm sure I forgot some!

CONS
  • I tried my best to recreate the look of the current BB, but the new one won't be 100% the same.
  • Currently you click on a person's name to get to the last post of a thread. The new way, you'll be clicking on the date instead, as clicking on a name goes to that person's profile. It's just something minor to get used to, that's all.
  • While Active Topics includes more time options, it currently loses the topic preview that we currently have. Hopefully they'll bring that feature back in the future.
  • There is currently no inline frame to view the entire thread on the reply page, but you can see the last post. I hope they bring this feature back because I used it all the time to navigate w/o opening a new window, but for now that's what we'll need to do I guess.
  • PMs emailed to you currently do NOT include details of the PM
  • Most Member #s will change - I'LL be that long-lost #2 once again! But it appears Member #'s aren't displayed anyway, so no big deal. (You can still see them looking at the url of someone's profile, tho)
  • Change is tough sometimes. But this new version JUST came out, and things will improve and be added as they release updates.
  • The biggest CON of all, though: It takes 8-9 hours to import the current BB posts into the new one. So after we test out the waters and everything's running smoothly on the new version, I'll have to close the current BB to be sure all new posts/members make it over. This also assumes everything will work smoothly. So, from the time I close the current BB, to the time the new one opens, it could be about 10 hours (best case) to 12 hours until the new one's up and running. And worst case would be that it didn't work right and I'd have to do it again (another 10+ hours)... But I'm obviously trying to prevent that from happening with the current tests I'm doing, and you're gonna do, and as I learn the new software better and better.

As I said, some things may work a little differently than what we're used to, but I think the PROS outweigh the CONS.

If you wanna check out what state it's in right now, check it out ! (You'll need to log in with your current login info)

Again, it's not final - just where it's at right now.

IMPORTANT!

> The new version of the BB is for TESTING ONLY -- Do not post anything you'll want to keep, as they will ALL be ERASED!

> Anything and Everything you do on the TEST BOARDS will be ERASED when testing is over! What you do there will NOT effect the current BB!

> Please test EVERYTHING you can, and explore around to get a feel for it. Try to break it, even.

Please take some time to explore and test it out. When we switch over will depend on how well/poorly the testing goes... could be next week!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166633
10/10/06 07:21 PM
10/10/06 07:21 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Not sure this is really an improvement, at least not visually.

Way too narrow (this is a real pain in the neck), far too cluttered visually, and the black-on-maroon lettering is almost impossible to read compared to the current white-on-black.

I've always felt that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is the BB really broke?

These are just my initial reactions from a quick glance. I may edit/change my opinions later.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166634
10/10/06 07:25 PM
10/10/06 07:25 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Well, obviously it needs some touching up - that's why it's called a BETA test. And you can widen it by removing the right column, as I said...

BTW - I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet. And until I am, I'll keep working on it!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166635
10/10/06 07:30 PM
10/10/06 07:30 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Hahaha. The old shout box is up. Nice to see MFM up there. It looks different but alot of people complained about this bb when it was first implemented. Change is good.

Bad Daddy is online now? Or is that old information?

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166636
10/10/06 07:34 PM
10/10/06 07:34 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I think the "Who's Online" updates every 5 mins or so... plus, some people chose to be Invisible so won't be listed. But in any event - he was. Not any more.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166637
10/10/06 07:42 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Geoff,
The BB is your baby. Do what you feel is necessary to keep it going. Is the upgrade necessary though?

PS. I thought I would take a stab at the avatars and it came up but when I went off and came back on same old problem. I guess it is not meant for me to have a new avatar. Not that I was wanting to get rid of Mama C. unless you have another one of Mama

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166638
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Exactly what is the calendar on the right for?

How fitting..plawrence is one of the top posters. Can that be frozen in time?

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166639
10/10/06 07:48 PM
10/10/06 07:48 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
A smaller font size in the sidebars help... it was too big before.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166640
10/10/06 07:52 PM
10/10/06 07:52 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beth E:
Exactly what is the calendar on the right for?
Apparently the public calendar lists members birthdays, and can also have events posted to it by moderators. There's also a "Personal Calendar" which members can post private things to...

As we go, we can see which things are useful and which aren't.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166641
10/10/06 07:55 PM
10/10/06 07:55 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
P.S. - Don't be afraid to post negative reactions (ahem, Vitelli :p ) but please try it out first and give it a fair shot. Spend some time with it, and note things you like -- and dislike -- after a while. This is OUR board, and I think it'd be nice to step into the 21st Century with it... but I do want most people to be happy with it! So I'll of course address all concerns as they're posted here...

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166642
10/10/06 07:59 PM
10/10/06 07:59 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

The look of the board may take getting used to. But we got used to this new board all those years ago. I don't think it's all that bad.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166643
10/10/06 08:11 PM
10/10/06 08:11 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Geoffy,
Why won't my password for this board work for the new one?

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166644
10/10/06 08:13 PM
10/10/06 08:13 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
PS - For a "cleaner" look, try the default "ubbthreads" stylesheet in your Preferences. The GBB stylesheet tries to emulate what we have now...

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166645
10/10/06 08:15 PM
10/10/06 08:15 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mignon:
Geoffy,
Why won't my password for this board work for the new one?
It most certainly should! In fact, I saw you on there before... PM me with your current password and I'll look it up for you, just in case...

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166646
10/10/06 08:21 PM
10/10/06 08:21 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I was on it cuz I asked for my PW and it gave me a temp one. So I logged out of this BB logged back in and used my pw and it worked. I'll try it again before I send you my pw.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166647
10/10/06 08:22 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
PS - For a "cleaner" look, try the default "ubbthreads" stylesheet in your Preferences. The GBB stylesheet tries to emulate what we have now...
I tried this. Ehhhh.. I think the other way is a little better. It has more color.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166648
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

I like the "shout feature". It's a little too busy for my liking at this time but of course I will give it time to grow on me. (It's kinda like the first 5 times I met JG, couldn't stand him, but now after meeting him that 6th time, I can honestly say I don't hate him. )

Just curious, is there a way to change where the "item of the moment" is?

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166649
10/10/06 08:24 PM
10/10/06 08:24 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
sending you a pm with my pw

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166650
10/10/06 08:28 PM
10/10/06 08:28 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
WOW!

I think I fall into the "If it ain't broke..." category for most things in life - to be honest, change intimidates me...

I was a bit shocked in my initial reaction, simply because I'm so used to the current set-up, and it's hard for me to imagine it any other way. But when it comes to web design, I think I'd trust JG over myself.

Random thoughts...

- I like that the search allows you to specify a date range of both "newer than" AND "older than." I think this would be helpful when you know that the thread/post you're looking for was much older - narrows it down a bit.

- I like that we'll be allowed to save more PMs - as I just mentioned to you, JG, I'm a packrat, and I'll love getting to save more. My question regarding PMs, as I'm looking through mine...are they no longer separated by incoming and sent? I guess this is given by the "last post" feature, right? Also, is the feature showing whether or not the recipient has read the PM still available?

- The recent posts shown for each person is 200 compared to 50 here, is that right? I like that!

Anyway, I'm still looking around, but I figured I'd get my 2 cents in. The only thing I worry about is getting used to the new design...but it looks like there's a lot of nice, new stuff! Thanks for working so hard on this.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166651
10/10/06 08:29 PM
10/10/06 08:29 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I have a password???? I usually just bring up the website, and BOOM, I get that special Ciao, Sicilian Babe message (the one that Geoff SWORE is just for me). I guess I'll have to ask to have my password emailed to me.

Looks like you added some terrific features, JG.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166652
10/10/06 08:36 PM
10/10/06 08:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
OK, I had my password emailed to me by The Team at GangsterBB.net. Who are the other members of this team??

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166653
10/10/06 08:51 PM
10/10/06 08:51 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Just curious, is there a way to change where the "item of the moment" is?
I can change the positioning of each element in the sidebars... why? where would you like to stick it? :p

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166654
10/10/06 09:00 PM
10/10/06 09:00 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
JG, Of course we are all resistant to change, but I liked it. It looks like you incorporated some very cool stuff, and I think that we'll end up loving it even more than the current format, it will just take some getting used to.

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166655
10/10/06 09:08 PM
10/10/06 09:08 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Ok, I checked it out briefly. I don't really have a problem with it and actually think it's kind of neat. There's a lot of browsing to do though.

I didn't check (or don't even know if you can reply to any messages on the new board) but are posting "links" the same as they are now? I like the change, but don't get to complicated on me.

I think we should try it out for a while. That's the best way to get the feel of it. However, Geoff, it's your baby,so whatever you do is ok with me. That 12 hour down time though....make it while I'm at work or sleeping ok? :p I hate the withdrawal process. (Btw, do we have smileys? I forgot to check where they were).

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166656
10/10/06 09:11 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Geoff,

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass tonight but why isn't showing that I logged in? I used the temp PW

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166657
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
That 12 hour down time though....make it while I'm at work or sleeping ok? :p I hate the withdrawal process.
Right on that, TIS!

Geoff, I've got a better idea...just split the twelve hours into four three-hour intervals, okay?

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166658
10/10/06 09:19 PM
10/10/06 09:19 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I didn't have any problems logging in, so that's a relief.

I think part of my initial hesitancy has to do with my only being familiar with these boards in the version they are now. Many others have been here far longer than I have, and have mentioned having to adjust when the boards were updated to their current version. I guess that just when I've figured out a lot of the current board functions, everything (or nearly everything) changes!

From the way you outlined the pros and cons of the new board, it would appear that to a web designer/webmaster, there are many features that make it much better than the old system. Being an incredibly low-tech kinda guy, though, reading through some of this made me feel like I was reading Klingon. The terminology is way over my head. Don't understand hardly any of it.

Does being able to upload your own avatars and attach files in your posts mean that you've eliminated the need for photo hosting services? Or, am I reading this wrong? I'm quite curious about this part.

When I was able to fiddle around with preferences (My Stuff), I was able to make things a little simpler, visually. The preview functions, though, are aggravating. Each window now seems to be in a different physical position on my screen. Don't know if this is only me, or...

I guess I'll get used to it. :rolleyes:

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166659
10/10/06 09:20 PM
10/10/06 09:20 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Gina,

4 hours down time in each time zone should do it. Ha ha ha

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166660
10/10/06 09:21 PM
10/10/06 09:21 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
[b]Just curious, is there a way to change where the "item of the moment" is?
I can change the positioning of each element in the sidebars... why? where would you like to stick it? :p [/b][/quote]I got about 3 places in mind right now

I was thinking just putting it at the bottom, for some reason it distracts me in the middle there...

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: OLD BOARDS SHUTTING DOWN ANY MOMENT! #166661
10/10/06 09:26 PM
10/10/06 09:26 PM
Texas
ginaitaliangirl Offline
ginaitaliangirl  Offline

Texas
As long as it isn't any trouble for Geoff, right TIS?

Joke's on me...I came back to this thread after looking at the new design, and this looked weird to me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull