GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Lou_Para, RushStreet, 2 invisible), 571 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,530
Posts1,062,475
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rocky Balboa - The Movie #167167
10/14/06 11:57 AM
10/14/06 11:57 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
I had heard rumors this movie was being made, but I almost fell out of my seat last week when I saw the trailer. It looks like Rocky is going to go into the ring against a champ 40 years his junior. Apparently Paulie is in it, and I think the guy playing Rocky's trainer is the same guy who played Apollo Creed's manager (and later Rocky's after Apollo died)....I can tell for sure because the guy looks older than Scatman Caruthers (and Scatman has been dead for sevral years).

As for Stallone, he looks overweight and his face is all wrinkled...how old is he like 65?

Does Stallone need the money? This is unbelievable.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Rocky Balboa - The Movie #167168
10/14/06 12:05 PM
10/14/06 12:05 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
its like what Nicholson says in THE DEPARTED:

"I don't need the cash, but I LIKE it!"

Besides, I read the script for ROCKY BALBOA, and safe to say....its not much.

Thing is, the whole premise idea of this former boxing champion going back at it for one more bout, simply to prove that despite ROCKY V(or IV for that matter), he could still punch....it might have translated into a decent if forgettable movie.

Thing was, that comment I meant in a civil matter. After I read that script, thats what BALBOA at best can friggin hope for. Alot of melodrama bullshit that makes me wonder how Stallone wrote the first movie on his own.

Hell man, you should be more concerned about RAMBO IV. Yeah, its happening.

Re: Rocky Balboa - The Movie #167169
10/14/06 08:06 PM
10/14/06 08:06 PM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
I think judging from the critical and fan reaction to Rocky V, one of Stallone's motives for making the sixth instalment is to give the series 'closure' (a word I absolutely despise but can think of no better word to describe it). Sure, it won't do Stallone's pocket any harm and I'm sure it will be a hit in terms of box office, but I can already guess the critics responses. Whether this film, or the forthcoming Rambo IV will revive Stallone's career is anyone's guess. The studios obviously have faith in him to greenlight these projects in the first place.

Ronnie, I've also read the script and agree with you 100% that it's heavy on sentimentality. That's not necessarily a bad thing either, but obviously this alone can't carry the film. Sly has to pull all the stops out on this in order to make it work. Let's hope he does.

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"
Re: Rocky Balboa - The Movie #167170
10/14/06 09:31 PM
10/14/06 09:31 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Mind you Krendler, I read an actual script copy, of which has been in more hands than a good whore's ass, and of course much more than that sampler that Stallone put out in his incredibly gay self-glamorizing magazine.

You are correct in that a proper "closure" is not a bad thing. Hell, in the first few pages, I really liked what I was reading. That is, an ex-champ and national media star that is now a humble chump running a deli restaurant in Philadelphia, albeit new immigrants have replaced the "old", and now Mr. Balboa spends his time re-telling the same fight stories to restaurant patrons.

Then the ESPN plot point of the "Computer Simulation", where Balboa defeats the current champion Mason "The Line" Dixon(where does Sly come up with his boxer names?!?), which gets alot of buzz and of course, sets up a money-hungry exhibition event between Balboa and the champion. I even liked Stallone making the obvious point of how boxing in America isn't mainstream or even respected as much anymore, since certainly the tough and tumble athletes of back in the day, and in the cities, have now turned to basketball and football. So its a champ wanting absolute respect, and Balboa wants to prove that as an old fart, he can still kick ass. In other words, Stallone is re-telling the George Forman story.

That shit I liked, its good. However, then we get into this fucking whiney shit with Balboa's kid. If Stallone had been a good writer, it would have been a good drama about a guy living in his father's shadow, and known as simply "Rocky's Kid" to everyone. Instead, it comes off as melodramatic, and worse, pointless.

Then another subplot of a person grown up that Rocky helps out...again, the idea could have worked, but its simply melodrama garbage that ROCKY 2 through 5 were all about.

Mind you, the original scripted ending that I read has now been changed, and various endings apparently have been shot. The original ending, one that really makes dramatic a more appropriate end for this franchise, has the brain injuries coming back into play, and basically, as this current champion, wanting to prove himself, and Rocky fought to a stalemate, basically Rocky dies as a result from the injuries. Its not artificial bullshit like say ROCKY IV, but more of a warrior's honorable demise, or something I would expect more from John Milius.

Instead, the changed ending(s), whatever the test screenings will declare the winner, vary. If Stallone was gutsy, no matter the screening scores, I would pick that Balboa loses the fight in a draw. Just like the first(and only) good film, Rocky loses, but gives his best and actually proves something.

I forgot, but another scene I enjoyed was the press conference, where Balboa is the media babe, which pisses the champion off. Good stuff.

Again, ROCKY BALBOA could end up being a decent if melodramatic picture. Hell, I would forgive Sly if it just makes up for the stupidity of ROCKY IV, and the pointless pussy crying of ROCKY V. Hell, I should do a Franchise Review on ROCKY sometime...

Re: Rocky Balboa - The Movie #167171
10/15/06 06:19 AM
10/15/06 06:19 AM
UK
Paul Krendler Offline
The Dude
Paul Krendler  Offline
The Dude
UK
Ronnie, there's a review up at AICN regarding the test screening. You share a lot of opinions with the reviewer, and if you've not read it already here's the link .

"I'm sorry if your stepmother is a nympho but I don't see what this has to do with, uh... do you have any Kalhua?"

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull