Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I plan on doing just that tonight. I gotta shelve my work that I'm supposed to be doing but it's Stone so it's worth it. How would you compare JFK with Nixon? I think you know my love for JFK
JFK is better, but Nixon is still a very good film. Like I said, Hopkins is outstanding. We both know Stone takes a few artistic liberties in his films. The stuff with the Nixon character shows how sad he was as a person. And it shows how gruff a personality he was. He was never happy - even when he won re-election. It wasn't enough to win - he was upset that he didn't win by more. I assume that's accurate, but I'm not certain. If nothing else, the film shows that Nixon could have been a great president had it not been for his paranoia and his obsession with the Kennedys.

One of my favorite scenes (it may be on the deleted scenes footage as I haven't seen it in 6 yrs) is when Nixon goes out to talk to protestors at either the Lincoln Memorial or Washington monument one night at a very late hour. He just kind of talks to the protestors and introduces himself as "Dick Nixon." You can tell he's uncomfortable, but he's making the effort to reach young people.

If nothing else, it made me appreciate Nixon the man a bit more than I had based on what I learned in history classes growing up.