That's a great question, FH! I guess the answer depends on how much credence you give to the various stories about how the Kennedys became involved with Sam Giancana of the Chicago Outfit. One story has Joe Kennedy himself approaching Giancana for help, another has JFK making the move, another has Bobby doing it, still others have Sinatra and various other go-betweens doing the dirty-work. For what it's worth: I doubt that any Kennedy had any direct contact with Giancana. And the Kennedys were too rich, too powerful and too influential to be beholden to anyone for long. Joe, especially, had a record of "loving and leaving," or at least distancing himself from, various backers. Bobby was monomaniacally dedicated to protecting his brother. JFK, meanwhile, had a great knack for letting others help him to lead a charmed life, and was too smart to let "loyalty" or "debts" put him in a precarious situation. Bottom line: Bobby declared war on the Mob in part to make sure that the Kennedy name was distanced from their Mob backers. I doubt that Old Man Kennedy would have tried to interfere with that effort--he would have supported it.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.