In 1964, when I was 15, I made a bet with the counterman in a bowling alley where I hung out (note to TB & SC: Kenmore Lanes, Church & Flatbush) that Cassius Clay would beat Sonny Liston. I got 7-1 odds from the guy, and won $35. That was a fair sum back then, and this guy wanted a chance to win his money back, so he invited me to play poker with him and his "friends" in a game above a garage (Snyder Ave or maybe Parkside Ave, definitely between Bedford & Rogers Aves.).

The place turned out to be a mob run poker club (not an "executive" game, tho), and the guy running it didn't have any scruples about letting a 15 year old play. Turned out to be a good place to hang out when cutting school (Erasmus), and since I played a decent game of poker even at the tender age of 15, I was able to while away many pleasant afternoons there.

The characters I met there, you wouldn't believe. Presumably the guy running it was at least an associate, and I could tell by the deference shown a couple of the players that they were made guys. I've been fascinated ever since.

"Difficult....not impossible"