GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Capri, 1 invisible), 141 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,934
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,299
Hollander 26,337
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,814
Posts1,069,531
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
For Americans... #204256
11/27/05 06:13 PM
11/27/05 06:13 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
I noticed many Americans know very much about the American maffia, but meanwhile they know nothing about the Sicilian maffia.

What's your case, American? :p
Do you know something about the 'true' maffia, from Sicily, where it all started? Do you know who Calo Vizzini is? Or Cascio-Ferro? Or Badalamenti?

If not, what is the reason for this lack of knowledge?

Hope I'll get any answers, and thanks in advance.

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: For Americans... #204257
11/27/05 06:27 PM
11/27/05 06:27 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
I think you are making a big mistakes here Enzo. I'm sure some people know a lot more then you think.

Re: For Americans... #204258
11/27/05 10:47 PM
11/27/05 10:47 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
I noticed many Americans know very much about the American maffia, but meanwhile they know nothing about the Sicilian maffia.

Do you know something about the 'true' maffia, from Sicily, where it all started? Do you know who Calo Vizzini is? Or Cascio-Ferro? Or Badalamenti?

Why don't you share some of your knowledge with us about the Sicilian Mafia?

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: For Americans... #204259
11/28/05 03:45 AM
11/28/05 03:45 AM
Peter_Clemenza Offline
Underboss
Peter_Clemenza  Offline
Underboss
Quote:

You can't even spell "Mafia."

Re: For Americans... #204260
11/28/05 06:46 AM
11/28/05 06:46 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter_Clemenza:
[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] I noticed many Americans know very much about the American maffia, but meanwhile they know nothing about the Sicilian maffia.

You can't even spell "Mafia." [/b][/quote]Ya think? I think your wrong on this point. For us Dutchies it's hard to remember that in English it's Mafia and in Dutch Maffia. The extra 'f' is the problem. So if someone types maffia, this can't hardly be wrong since we don't know better. But yes, we are typing in English, so it should be with one 'f'.

Re: For Americans... #204261
11/28/05 07:01 AM
11/28/05 07:01 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by M.M. Floors:
For us Dutchies it's hard to remember that in English it's Mafia and in Dutch Maffia. The extra 'f' is the problem. So if someone types maffia, this can't hardly be wrong since we don't know better. But yes, we are typing in English, so it should be with one 'f'.
I would normally agree with you, MMF, about the difference in spellings in our languages, but in this case its different. The very place of this Mob's origin spells it M-A-F-I-A. Its not that we spell it differently here (in English).

Remember, one of the POSSIBLE origins of the word "Mafia" comes from the cry "Morte All Francia Italia Anelia".

Re: For Americans... #204262
11/28/05 08:20 AM
11/28/05 08:20 AM
Muscat, Oman
Don Zadjali Offline
Underboss
Don Zadjali  Offline
Underboss
Muscat, Oman
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] I noticed many Americans know very much about the American maffia, but meanwhile they know nothing about the Sicilian maffia.

Why don't you share some of your knowledge with us about the Sicilian Mafia?

[/b][/quote]Enzo Scifo...
a refusal is not an act of a friend...

"Pain has no tendency, in its own right, to proliferate. When it is over, it is over, and the natural sequel is joy."
- C. S. Lewis

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh"
- George Bernard Shaw

Re: For Americans... #204263
11/28/05 12:38 PM
11/28/05 12:38 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
I noticed some not so agreeing reactions. But I think I didn't put my question right. Maybe I should have put

"meanwhile they know less about the Sicilian maffia."

Instead of

"meanwhile they know nothing about the Sicilian maffia."

I didn't meant to let it look like Americans are stupid, but I just noticed they usually know more about American than about Sicilian maffia. That is of course logical, but I also wanted to see how much they know about Sicilian maffia.

Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
The very place of this Mob's origin spells it M-A-F-I-A. Its not that we spell it differently here (in English).

Remember, one of the POSSIBLE origins of the word "Mafia" comes from the cry "[b]M
orte All Francia Italia Anelia". [/b]
Actually, they use both forms in Sicily. According to John Dickies "Cosa Nostra", they use both - mafia and maffia - in Sicilian.

About Morte alla Francia, Italia Aliena, I know you said 'possible', but the unlikeliness of this theory is 99,9%. A more plausible explanation is the Arabian "Ma'Afir", but I forgot what it means. MMFloors maybe?

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: For Americans... #204264
11/28/05 01:01 PM
11/28/05 01:01 PM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
[QUOTE]I would normally agree with you, MMF, about the difference in spellings in our languages, but in this case its different. The very place of this Mob's origin spells it M-A-F-I-A. Its not that we spell it differently here (in English).

Remember, one of the POSSIBLE origins of the word "Mafia" comes from the cry "[b]M
orte All Francia Italia Anelia". [/b]
Well I always believed that the Dutch couldn't change a way of spelling a word (actually a name...which never can't be written a different way. i.e. John is John in Dutch and English) which has it's origin in dialect Sicilian. But after reading "The Mafia of an Sicilian Village" from Anton Blok, I believe that the name Mafia isn't a name but a indicational word. Which CAN be changed. i.e. Tree is in Dutch 'Boom'....in this way you spell it different too! So why not for Mafia, and in Dutch Maffia.....I still stand by my opinion.

And I hope you don't truly believe the 'Morte Alle Francia, Italia Anelia' theory, do you?

"Ma'Afir" is more plausible. It was a Saracen Tribe living in caves nearby Palermo. This Tribe had the same ideals as Mafia had in the beginning. So there's a theory that the Mafia is named after them....

Re: For Americans... #204265
11/28/05 01:04 PM
11/28/05 01:04 PM
Belgium
Willy Offline
Button
Willy  Offline
Button
Belgium
Both mafia and maffia are used on Sicily. In Italian it is mafia with one f. But in certain Sicilian dialects it is maffia. In English the pronounciation stays the same but in some Sicilian and Napolitan dialects there is a small difference.
But mafia is the common term international, only in Dutch it is maffia.

As for the knowledge of the Sicilian mafia I think that also for Europeans and even Italians it's just more difficult to obtain accurate information about Sicily. Few of the documents and books (if they are even reliable) are translated.
But when you look at little deeper it is true that the Sicilian mafia is more fascinating (also because less is known about it).
I am sure Enzo agrees on this!

"Honest people have no ethics"- Sam DeCavalcante
Re: For Americans... #204266
11/28/05 01:12 PM
11/28/05 01:12 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Willy:
As for the knowledge of the Sicilian mafia I think that also for Europeans and even Italians it's just more difficult to obtain accurate information about Sicily. Few of the documents and books (if they are even reliable) are translated.
You mean that most books/documents are in Sicilian, and aren't translated into English and Dutch?

Re: For Americans... #204267
11/28/05 01:22 PM
11/28/05 01:22 PM
Belgium
Willy Offline
Button
Willy  Offline
Button
Belgium
yes, most documents and even books about the mafia arent translated. You mentioned John Dicke, well look at the books he used and the documents he mentions, most of them are only available in Italian.
The most stunning example is Cola Gentile's biography that only recently got translated, after Dickie published 'Cosa Nostra'.

Re: For Americans... #204268
11/28/05 02:17 PM
11/28/05 02:17 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
And I hope you don't truly believe the 'Morte Alle Francia, Italia Anelia' theory, do you?
No. I was using it as an example of how to properly spell "Mafia".

Re: For Americans... #204269
11/28/05 02:39 PM
11/28/05 02:39 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Meanwhile I think that many of us from America would love to see some of you people who know about the Sicilian mafia post some bios and stories concerning the Sicilian Mafia.

I know that I would love to start seeing some stuff on here about them.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: For Americans... #204270
11/28/05 02:50 PM
11/28/05 02:50 PM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
Morte Alla Francia Italia Anela, isn't the origin of the name. Sicily wasn't from Italia at that time (1200's), so the theory is complete nonsens (to me)...

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: For Americans... #204271
11/28/05 03:00 PM
11/28/05 03:00 PM
Belgium
Willy Offline
Button
Willy  Offline
Button
Belgium
Quote:
Meanwhile I think that many of us from America would love to see some of you people who know about the Sicilian mafia post some bios and stories concerning the Sicilian Mafia.

I know that I would love to start seeing some stuff on here about them
A pretty good article about the Sicilian Mafia and its philosophy around the time of 1900:
web page

Re: For Americans... #204272
11/28/05 05:20 PM
11/28/05 05:20 PM
DonMichaelCorleone Offline
DonMichaelCorleone  Offline

Here is my take on it. First a disclaimer, I like to read about Sicily, Italy and America BUT I find it much more enjoyable to read about things that happened in the United States, especially New York/New Jersey because that is where I'm from. I can only speak for myself but it's more fun reading a book and reading about what happened on 63rd street and you have been to that street, or that house or that restaurant. I'm guessing it would be the same for people who live in Sicily to read about the Sicilian Mafia, I think people are drawn to things they have experienced or visited before.

"You gave your word, I never gave mine"
http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=88380
Re: For Americans... #204273
11/28/05 05:59 PM
11/28/05 05:59 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
Now I'm getting in troubles
My knowledge for the moment is still limited (I'm only reading my second book about Sicilian maffia), but there are others who can provide you with plenty of info, like juventus, willy, and the 'Dutch Turnbull' M.M.Floors :p

Re: For Americans... #204274
11/28/05 08:31 PM
11/28/05 08:31 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Here is my take on it. First a disclaimer, I like to read about Sicily, Italy and America BUT I find it much more enjoyable to read about things that happened in the United States, especially New York/New Jersey because that is where I'm from. I can only speak for myself but it's more fun reading a book and reading about what happened on 63rd street and you have been to that street, or that house or that restaurant. I'm guessing it would be the same for people who live in Sicily to read about the Sicilian Mafia, I think people are drawn to things they have experienced or visited before.
Very true DMC. There is absolutely nothing like reading about something that you are very interested in and also having it relate to where you may have grown up or live. I remember when I first read The Bull's book "Underboss," I could not put the book down because A) his stomping grounds were where I grew up, B) he talked about and mentions people that I remember from the neighborhood and C) I remember witnessing several events that took place that he talked about in the book.

But by the same token I would really like to see some people from other parts of the world, especially Italy, start to share some of the stories involving the mob that either took place or are curently taking place where they live.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Re: For Americans... #204275
11/29/05 03:35 AM
11/29/05 03:35 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Enzo, if you do a "search" on this thread, you will find that more than a few Americans have posted and answered questions on the Sicilian Mafia, including the people you named.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: For Americans... #204276
11/29/05 03:41 AM
11/29/05 03:41 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
[Well I always believed that the Dutch couldn't change a way of spelling a word (actually a name...which never can't be written a different way. i.e. John is John in Dutch and English)
This reminds me of a story I read many years ago:
It is said that the origin of the word "Yankee" occured when the Dutch lost Niew Amsterdam to the Duke of York. The still-largely Dutch population of New York deeply resented their new British masters. They charicatured Brits as always being named "John" and always eating cheese. Hence Dutch New Yorkers referred to British New Yorkers as "Jan Kaes" or as it became, "Yankees."
Imagine Fidel Castro constantly denouncing Americans with an ancient Dutch expression.
Another theory is that "Yankees" originated in another Dutch word, "Jankes," which I believe means "barking dog."

Re: For Americans... #204277
11/29/05 06:35 AM
11/29/05 06:35 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Your right in your first theory. Yankees is a word for "Jan Kees". And "Jan"/"Kees" are very common names in our country.

"Jankes" should probably be "Jankers" and the last word is also a word for a barking dog.

So you know a lot about the Dutchie's dont ya?

Re: For Americans... #204278
11/29/05 06:37 AM
11/29/05 06:37 AM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Interesting. I always knew I'd rather be a cheese eater than a cheese cutter.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: For Americans... #204279
11/29/05 06:43 AM
11/29/05 06:43 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
Interesting. I always knew I'd rather be a cheese eater than a cheese cutter.
Eat enough cheese and you'll be cutting it, regardless.

Re: For Americans... #204280
11/29/05 02:04 PM
11/29/05 02:04 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
Enzo, if you do a "search" on this thread, you will find that more than a few Americans have posted and answered questions on the Sicilian Mafia, including the people you named.
I'll do a search right now, because I really want to know what's been said before I joined this board.

Btw, I never named some people. You must have misread that, I just said 'some Americans'.

Re: For Americans... #204281
11/29/05 02:18 PM
11/29/05 02:18 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] Enzo, if you do a "search" on this thread, you will find that more than a few Americans have posted and answered questions on the Sicilian Mafia, including the people you named.
I'll do a search right now, because I really want to know what's been said before I joined this board.

Btw, I never named some people. You must have misread that, I just said 'some Americans'. [/b][/quote]Enzo, what I meant was that some Americans have posted on the Sicilian Mafiosi you named in your original message: Calo Vizzini, Cascio-Ferro, Badalamenti. And I took no offense.

Re: For Americans... #204282
11/29/05 02:36 PM
11/29/05 02:36 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
This reminds me of a story I read many years ago:
It is said that the origin of the word "Yankee" occured when the Dutch lost Niew Amsterdam to the Duke of York. The still-largely Dutch population of New York deeply resented their new British masters. They charicatured Brits as always being named "John" and always eating cheese. Hence Dutch New Yorkers referred to British New Yorkers as "Jan Kaes" or as it became, "Yankees."
Imagine Fidel Castro constantly denouncing Americans with an ancient Dutch expression.
Another theory is that "Yankees" originated in another Dutch word, "Jankes," which I believe means "barking dog."
Nice, I didn't know that.
But I also have to correct you on some things.
Cheese in Dutch is 'kaas', not 'kaes'. But in the spelling of that time (17th century), it was indeed 'kaes'.
The former name of NY was Nieuw (so not niew) Amsterdam. And a 'janker' literally means 'cryer'.

So children, that was all for today's Dutch class...

Re: For Americans... #204283
11/29/05 02:40 PM
11/29/05 02:40 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
Enzo, what I meant was that some Americans have posted on the Sicilian Mafiosi you named in your original message: Calo Vizzini, Cascio-Ferro, Badalamenti. And I took no offense.
Oww, like that. Yeah, sorry, I tought you implied that I namecalled. Never mind, back to normal.

Re: For Americans... #204284
11/29/05 05:02 PM
11/29/05 05:02 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Quote:
But I also have to correct you on some things.
Where are the corrections? I don't see any.

Re: For Americans... #204285
11/29/05 07:06 PM
11/29/05 07:06 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline OP
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline OP
Underboss
Milky Way
Kaes => Kaas

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull