Originally posted by olivant:
She spurned him, huh? How awful of her to let a little thing like having their bedroom sprayed with bullets, murdering her sister-in-law's husband, being surrounded night and day by murderers, thugs, and theives, cause such spurning. And, oh, what was that other little thing? Oh yes, murdering his own brother. The nerve of her!
Olivant, please! Or Kay was stupid (and I don't think so) or she had to know what marrying a mafioso was all about. If she wanted a quiet marriage, she could marry, say, a teacher, an insurance agent, a plumber....But all the terrible things you above mentioned are very typical of a mafioso's lifestyle...so why should she complain of Michael's behaviour? Let's say they both made a mistake. Michael should not have asked her to marry him (and I tend to think that he did so just because he was shocked by Apollonia's death and he needed to elaborate mourning) and Kay should not have accepted his proposal. He still was in family business at the time he proposes and very likely to stay, in spite of his illusions to legitimate.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)