First, allow me to thank you Don Larzono for bringing up an all too infrequent soccer topic and a good one at that.
Assuming for the moment that the US League (MLS) is not considered on the same level as other top leagues such as the English Premier League, here is a list of United States National Soccer Team Players that play in serious leagues:

Wade Barrett - AGF Arhus (Danish First Division)
DaMarcus Beasley - PSV Eindhoven (Dutch First Division)
Gregg Berhalter - Energie Cottbus (German Second Division)
Carlos Bocanegra - Fulham (English Premier League)
Conor Casey - Mainz 05 (German Bundesliga)
Steve Cherundolo - Hannover 96 (German Bundesliga)
Bobby Convey - Reading (English First Division)
Brad Friedel - Blackburn Rovers (English Premier League)
Marcus Hahnemann - Reading (English First Division)
Tim Howard - Manchester United (English Premier League)
Kasey Keller - Tottenham Hotspur (English Premier League)
Eddie Lewis - Preston North End (English First Division)
Clint Mathis - Hannover 96 (German Bundesliga)
Brian McBride - Fulham (English Premier League)
John O'Brien - Ajax (Dutch Eredivisie)
Oguchi Onyewu - Standard Liege (Belgium First Division)
Claudio Reyna - Manchester City (English Premier League)
Jonathan Spector - Manchester United (English Premier League)
Greg Vanney - Bastia (France First Division)

So, I think indicates that the US is quickly eveloving into a soccer nation. Once Americans take the time to learn the sport, they realize that competition is more than just scoring - its strategy and devloping plays, not just ramming it down the middle.

Although the US style of play is very different than European and the skill level is not that of the South Americans, I think the US style will evolve into a dominant force within the next 5 years. Hopefully, in time for the 2006 World Cup. Americans love a winner and the World Cup may sway US viewers.

Cheers!

"...And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
- Jules' version of Ezekiel 25:17