Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
My point was, I just don't see the huge gain we made by getting him. I don't believe for a minute that ARod should be traded. I just think that he's never settled comfortably into his pinstripes. He also has not proven himself as a player that can be counted on in a clutch situation.
With regards to the huge gain - I've already listed the tradeoff in my previous post:

Yankees received: A-Rod - 2005 AL MVP/Gold Glove caliber infielder/9 30+ homerun seasons out of 10/replacement for fill-ins and underachievers at 3B as well as an empty slot at second base filled by budding All Star Robinson Cano.

Texas got: Alfonso Soriano - high powered home run hitting speedster/mediocre fielding 2nd baseman/prima donna/now with the Nationals and expected to be traded again and two minor leaguers.

With regards to settling into pinstripes, I agree, and I think part of it is his disposition...we want, nay, need, the A-Rod who was willing to toss the gloves with Jason Varitek, not the "I took my wife and daughter sunbathing today" A-Rod. He needs an attitude ala Gary Sheffield.

And I also agree regarding his clutch, as I said, I don't have much confidence in him. But does that mean I'd pinch hit for him? No.

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
St Louis wouldn't make that deal in a million years - Pujols is five years younger and his best years are probably ahead of him. A Rod's best years are probably behind him, and Pujols is a better player already.

Florida would never want A Rod's contract.
Thank you Mr. Redundant. It sounds awful similar to what I've said in my previous post. :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
And Double-J, I was just like you. Putting his MVP, Gold Gloves and Silver Slugger awards up as an excuse (or reason) for the Yankees to continue to hang onto him. But now I'm just sick and tired of seeing the broken record that is Alex Rodriguez in the clutch. The last 2 games A-Rod's had the chance to either put the Yankees ahead of win the game for them. But of course not, he STRIKES OUTS both times! When he came to the plate last night I told my brother he's going to strike out and what happened? I'm sorry DJ, maybe I don't have as much patience as you, but I can't keep bailing the guy out. I'm not disputing the fact that he's still having trouble adjusting to third base, but that shouldn't affect how he swings the bat in clutch situations.
I've got two words for you:

Jason Giambi.

Remember when we all said he was done, washed up, ex-steroid juicer who we should just cut and take the loss? Yeah. He's now our best power hitter at the moment, and is having a year like he did in 2002 (and in 2003).

A-Rod's not even close to being there. But he will turn his problems around. He's too good of a player not to.

And it has nothing to do with being patient. It has everything to do with supporting your team when they need it. I'll say again, I don't have much confidence in Alex, but it would be completely nuts to get rid of him...what are you going to do for a 3B and a 4th/5th hitter in the order? Seriously. We know he's having issues. It doesn't take Miss Cleo to figure that out. But instead of grandiose and unrealistic trade ideas, maybe we should just support him.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
I like Alex and wish to see him succeed. And you may call me a "fickle" fan or what have you. But some of us Yankee fans, boo because we know they can do better (it's pretty much a kick in the a$$ telling them to get their act together. They're a better player than this, we know it and we want to see it). Besides, A-Rod and everyone else knows that when you come to New York, you're expected to win. So yeah, when or if he ever comes through in the clutch or the playoffs again, I will cheer him. I'll be happy for him but most importantly for the team.
Ugh. Yankee fans bottle fed on those championships of the late 90's.

"In New York, you're expected to win."

Oh, shit, you mean, they aren't in Cleveland? Texas? St. Louis? :rolleyes:

New York may be the biggest stage of them all, but its still just a game. A-Rod is struggling - no doubt - but the boos, the "you're expected to win in NY" stuff, just makes Yankee fans seem more arrogant.

Even the reigning AL MVP isn't good enough for us, apparently.

"Touch your cleats with a magic bat, and you'll be a boobird too,"
Double-J

---

Oh, BTW - "Slammin'" Sammy Sosa is coming out of retirement. Wondering the possibility of the Yankees giving him a Minor-League deal and see how he does, if he's in shape maybe we could use him down the stretch.