Matsui Making Progress

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees left fielder Hideki Matsui is making progress in his comeback from a broken left wrist but still isn't ready to take batting practice.

Matsui took easy swings off a tee and during a soft toss session with a mini-bat during his second workout Monday at the Yankees' minor-league complex. He also had a long toss session and fielded fly balls and grounders in the outfield.

"At this point, there are no problems," Matsui said through a translator. "I'm practicing to where it doesn't cause any problems."

Matsui has been sidelined since breaking his wrist while diving for a fly ball hit by Boston's Mark Loretta on May 11. A batting practice timetable could be set next week if Matsui is re-examined.

The Yankees are hopeful Matsui can rejoin the team in August.

"Right now I don't have a specific date," Matsui said. "I'm working on it now, expecting to be back as soon as possible."

Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, out with a left hamstring injury, did agility drills Monday in the outfield in addition to taking batting practice and fielding grounders. He hasn't played since he got hurt running out a double against Florida on June 25.

The All-Star infielder hopes to run the bases Friday or Saturday. If that goes well, he could start a minor-league rehab assignment next week.

"It's feeling a lot looser," Cano said. "But I don't want to rush it."

Cano would likely play in two or three minor-league games before rejoining the Yankees.