No.

But......

But in the first round I would've felt that in the next round or whatever I had a chance to get a top starter, like maybe Carpenter would still be available, or Santana or Oswalt or Halladay or Peavy for example.

Look where I drafted Santana.

The way I see it, the value of a guy is determined by where he is in the pecking order for his position, relative to other players at other positions.

If I projected A Rod as the best third baseman and I figure him for 700 points for the season, but the 7th best third baseman is worth, say 625 points, and I project Santana as the best starter and I figure him for 500 points and the next best starter is worth only 400, I'd rather have Santana and his 100 point difference because i figure that at worst I'll wind up with the 7th best guy instead of A Rod, which is only a 75 point difference.

Talent is plentiful at 3B; consistent SPs are harder to find.

Bottom line, though, again.....

Don't you think that you will have a higher total at the end of the season by replacing "whoever" with Carpenter and replacing A Rod with Blalock, Blake, or Nomar, than you would have had if you didn't make the deal?

Because if you don't agree with that statement, you shouldn't have made the trade.

From your POV, the difference between what JG gains by replacing Blalock with A Rod can be more than offset by what JG loses by replacing Carpenter with "Whoever", as long as his increase in pointsisn't large enough to give him more points at the end of the season than you have.

In other words, I'll make a trade with, say, CC, that I think will increase her score by 100 points (because her increase is based on who I give her and who she replaces with the guy I give her) and only increase mine by 75 points, because all I'm concerned with is improving my score, unless the increase in her score is so much greater than the increase in mine that it gives her enough ponts to finish with a higher score than i will.

But since I figure my lead over her is so large, I'm not afraid of improving her team more than I would improve my own, as long as I improve my own.

I don't know if I explained that very well.....

"Difficult....not impossible"