Last night I had a Godfather party, and pulled in two new fans. It was very cool. We stayed up all night, eating spaghetti and watching the entire trilogy. Of course, I felt good, because I was showing off all my knowledge and answered every one of their questions (except one, but we'll get to that later...) in great detail. I felt like a regular Turnbull around them wink . One thing, I couldn't answer though. They asked me, what the significance was of the marionette on the logo was.

I looked it up on here, and now I have come up with my own theory. But, then I really started thinking about The Godfather and I think I came up with a totally different interpertation of it.

In all three movies, I can think of only one completely careless, happy, scene, and that is the wedding scene. The first scene of the first movie. And, I think we can all agree, that the most depressing scene would surely be the last scene of the third movie. In between, while, each movie has a somewhat, succesful ending, with some closure, altogether, life just gets worse for the Corleones.

I see the marionette as society, holding "the Godfather" (whom I see as Vito Corleone representing his family). You see, the font used is that of power and pride, though the marionette shows how, still, it is left under control, by other, more powerful people. You see, I see the entire trilogy as one big struggle for happiness. And what is happiness? For Vito, his happiness was just to make it by, and too build a loving family, but eventually to pull that family out of crime. For Sonny, that was to also have a strong family and to keep that family (genalogical and crime versions) just as strong. For Fredo, that was to be accepted as a true Corleone, to be respected by his peers and his family. For Connie, that was, overall, to find herslef, and to live life free from her family's bad points but full of her family's good points. And, for Michael, it was simply to be like his father-powerful, loved, and respected. I guess that last one could be debated, but its safe to say that none of this was acheived.

All together, the main goal of the Corloenes as a whole, was too find happiness. And, for the Corleones, what was happiness? It was, legitimacy. It was earning a living, and keeping eachother fed, but without violence and the burdens of the law. It was to be honest in the eys of society, to have the Corleone name be one like Kennedy or Rocefeller. However, this is never acheived, either. And why? Because Barzini is happy making his own decisions, despite Vito's concerns. Because Hyman Roth wants to keep everything the same. Because Don Altobello doesn't like change. Because Fanucci wants to keep his protection rackets intact. You can kind of say that the Corleones, and their allies, at least in their world, are the only ones not happy-the only ones who are seeking happiness. But these powerful people, Barzini, Roth, Altobello, and Fanucci all are mere fingers on the hand that keeps the Corleones just as they are-a powerful crime family.

I find the entire trilogy to be one big analogy for a party who spend their lives struggleing to gain virtue, but never actually receiveing it. It's a smple story with a complicated coating, and ultimately, with a sad ending. Its definately original, and I think its that, that keeps us all so captured. Because everyone can relate to seeking hapiness. And everyone can relate to failing at it.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci