My Compari have pretty much expressed my assessment of Vito in this vein. But I would add that a great deal of Vito's motivation was to protect his family from the real and perceived threats that the world presents. He did see his entire family wiped out because of their vulnerability. In America he was willing to put the past behind him, but Fanucci disabusd him of that possibility. So, he made a decision that he and his family would never be vulnerable again. Now, Vito has foibles just like any of us. The allure of power et al did corrupt his values. Sure, he could be soft hearted, but as Michael expressed to Kay in the novel, Vito would come a callin' when it was time for those he had helped to help him.

As someone wrote above, Vito was as much a cinematic creation as true to life. So, we have to take that into account. His kids (like any kids) are kind of like their father, but they are not the father. They have their own motivations and goals, etc. and they pursue them in their own ways with their particular personal resources.

So, sadness. Yes, indeed. Michael's silent scream echoes back through the generations to Vito. Vito never wanted this for Michael; but he conceded that he had no such destiny planned for his other two sons. They were to be sacrificed to the avarice of the underworld. Connie was an accident of birth. That she was female was just the way it goes. He abandoned her to her abusive husband. Think about that.

Vito protected and provided well for his family; he was loving. Great. But there was a limit to his intelligence; ultimately, he couldn't see past his own needs.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."