Originally posted by Sammy the Bull:
I suspect those who actually try to defend this film only feel compelled to do so because FC, Pacino and Puzo were involved in its making. If it was an identical film directed and written by someone else (but still without Duval and with Sofia Coppola), I have no doubt that literally almost everyone would have been listing it as one of the "worst sequels of all time"
I respectfully disagree with a statement like that which generalizes the reason that some may like or defend this film. There are many legitimate reasons that people like or defend this film for. As I've posted many times before I personally liked the idea of Michael seeking redemption, forgiveness, and closure. I also liked the plot regarding the Vatican and it's dealings and underhandedness with the mob. There is no question that GFIII does not, in any way, live up to it's first two namesakes, and that it was basically thrown together at the last minute, but it is a pretty decent film and it is what it is, a third film. How many third films have come close to their first two films? Not many at all. The Godfather III gets a terrible rap because many who first went to see it set out doing so in the expectaion of it fullfilling their own high hopes of it being a GFI or GFII.

It being a FFC / Puzo film has NOTHING to do with one liking it or defending it.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.