[quote=afsaneh77
All I'm saying is that who could really define the true meaning of a certain holiday except for God?

[/quote]

I appreciate the points you have all been making. From the running discourse, I believe that Christmas means means more to you, afsaneh, than it does for most non-Christians. I also believe that SB's heart is touched by Christmas in a very deep way. While you both celebrate, I'm sure the impact of the season consumes you in different pleasant ways.

As for the attempts to define the true meaning of the holiday, Christmas- or any holiday- wasn't created by God, but by men and women. Certainly, I beleve that love and adoration for Christ motivated Christians to honor His advent. The arrival of the Christ child was deemed appropriate for celebration many years after His death and what I believe was His resurrection.

That said, it is a wonderful world when we can all celebrate each others' holidays. I believe that in addition to the spiritual spirit of Christmas, which fascinates me as much now as it did when I was a kid, Christmas has also developed a secular spirit of goodwill and festive cheer. I am ashamed to say that my knowledge of Muslim holy days is basic. I should be more well rounded.

Afsaneh, can you give us a little picture of how Christmas is celebrated by Christians in Iran? I know you join the festivities, but is it common for non-Christians there to celebrate on some level? Just wondering.