Yankees Want Mientkiewicz
Quote:
N.Y. Yankees talking to first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz

2006/12/15
By Ken Davidoff NEW YORK, Newsday

In their search for a first baseman, the Yankees are contemplating a platoon, a solution that would further increase the already significant possibility that Bernie Williams won't have a place on next year's roster.

The Yankees are speaking to free agent Doug Mientkiewicz, a Met in 2005 and the man who caught the last out of the 2004 Red Sox's World Series victory (and proceeded to keep the ball). Mientkiewicz, a left-handed hitter, would share the job with Andy Phillips or Rule 5 selection Josh Phelps.

The Yankees also have considered a trade for Seattle's Richie Sexson, but in their quest to cut payroll, they have so far been willing to take Sexson, who is owed US$28 million through 2008, only if there is some financial relief. The Mariners reportedly weren't amenable to the idea of taking Carl Pavano in return for Sexson. Mientkiewicz, 32, figures to come relatively cheap, as he played in only 91 games for the Royals last season. A back injury, which eventually required season-ending surgery, prevented him from playing after July 25.

He is well known for his defense, and the Yankees, who have suffered from Jason Giambi's subpar first-base glove for much of the past five seasons, like the idea of deploying a steady defensive presence at first. Mientkiewicz would be especially valuable in light of the throwing problems that Alex Rodriguez experienced last season and Derek Jeter's occasional short-hop throws from shortstop. In that regard, Mientkiewicz could be viewed as more useful than free agent Shea Hillenbrand, who is a better hitter and a worse fielder.

If the Yankees used a first-base platoon, they could carry seven infielders (including Giambi at designated hitter and a re-signed Miguel Cairo), two catchers, four outfielders and 12 pitchers. If they decided to go without Cairo, they might go with 13 pitchers, a nod to manager Joe Torre's liberal use of relievers.

There are multiple roster permutations that don't feature the ultra-popular Williams, who would like to return to the Yankees for a 17th season but has been left dangling so far.

Outside of settling first base, the Yankees' work is largely done this winter. They need to sign Kei Igawa, the Japanese left-hander whose rights they won through the posting process, by midnight Dec. 29, and they want to sign a left-handed reliever.

Source: Newsday

---

Mientkiewicz may be okay as a first baseman. I'm not thrilled though with all of these journeyman style players, though his defensive play and surprisingly strong arm place him ahead of Phelps, imho. Phillips' defense is being severely underestimated in the grand scheme of things, and I know they want pop, but I'd still pencil in Phillips as my everyday 1st baseman with Giambi as DH.