GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 622 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,983
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,553
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,530
Posts1,062,475
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wizard of Oz(A parable on populism?) #358675
01/24/07 03:38 AM
01/24/07 03:38 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Hilary Clinton's admission that this was her favorite movie ever, made me want to raise the age old issue that I learned about in high school.....Is L. Frank Baum's book, The Wizard of Oz, a parable on populism? I posted two opinions that I found online, but there are hundreds more. I'm not one of those ppl who will tell you to go and listen to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' while watching WOZ, but there is lots about that topic online as well. If you have never explored this movie this will open your mind a bit I think, and furthur validate why so many of us sit around analyzing The Godfather. Enjoy!!!

http://www.filmsite.org/wiza.html
* the Scarecrow - the wise, but naive western farmers
* the Tin Woodman - the dehumanized, Eastern factory workers
* the Wicked Witch of the East - the Eastern industrialists and bankers who controlled the people (the Munchkins)
* the Good Witch of the North - New England, a stronghold of Populists
* the Good Witch of the South - the South, another Populist area
* the Wizard - President Grover Cleveland, or Republican Presidential candidate William McKinley
* the Cowardly Lion - Democratic-Populist Presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan
* Dorothy - a young Mary Lease; or the good-natured American people
* Dorothy's silver shoes - represents the 'silver standard' (acc. to the Populists, "the free and unlimited coinage of silver")
* Toto - the 'teetotaling' Prohibitionists (or Temperance Party), an important part of the 'silverite' coalition
* the Yellow Brick road - the 'gold standard' - paved with gold, but leads nowhere
* the land of Oz - oz. is the standard abbreviation for ounce, in accordance with the other symbolism
* Emerald City - Washington, D.C., with a greenish color associated with greenbacks
* the Poppy field - the threat of anti-imperialism

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/oz.html --Baum's Oz, Gold, Silver and Marx
In the story, Dorothy is swept away from Kansas in a tornado and arrives in a mysterious land inhabited by `little people.' Her landing kills the Wicked Witch of the East (bankers and capitalists), who `kept the munchkin people in bondage.'

In the movie, Dorothy begins her journey through the Land of Oz wearing ruby slippers, but in the original story Dorothy's magical slippers are silver [a reference to the bimetallic system advocated by W.J. Bryan]. Along the way on the yellow brick (gold) road, she meets a Tin Woodsman who is `rusted solid' (a reference to the industrial factories shut down during the depression of 1893). The Tin Woodsman's real problem, however, is that he doesn't have a heart (the result of dehumanizing work in the factory that turned men into machines).

Farther down the road Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, who is without a brain (the farmer, Baum suggests, doesn't have enough brains to recognize what his political interests are). [Shades of Marx's critique of peasants!] Next Dorothy meets the Cowardly Lion, an animal in need of courage (Bryan, with a load roar but little else). Together they go off to Emerald City (Washington) in search of what the wonderful Wizard of Oz (the President) might give them.

When they finally get to Emerald City and meet the Wizard, he, like all good politicians, appears to be whatever people wish to see in him. He also plays on their fears.... But soon the Wizard is revealed to be a fraud--only a little old man `with a wrinkled face' who admits that he's been `making believe.' `I am just a common man,' he says. But he is a common man who can rule only by deceiving the people into thinking that he is more than he really is.

`You're a humbug,' shouts the Scarecrow, and this is the core of Baum's message. Those forces that keep the farmer and worker down are manipulated by frauds who rule by deception and trickery; the President is powerful only as long as he is able to manipulate images and fool the people. [Politics doesn't change, does it?]

Finally, to save her friends, Dorothy `melts' the Wicked Witch of the West (just as evil as the East), and the Wizard flies off in a hot-air balloon to a new life. The Scarecrow (farmer) is left in charge of Oz, and the Tin Woodsman is left to rule the East. This populist dream of the farmer and worker gaining political power was never to come true, and Baum seems to recognize this by sending the Cowardly Lion back into the forest, a recognition of Bryan's retreat from national politics.

Dorothy is able to return to her home with the aid of her magical silver shoes, but on waking in Kansas, she realizes that they've fallen off, representing the demise of the silver coinage issue in American politics.

http://www.djacobs.org/oz/ --An examination of the underlying political allegory
Introduction -- Taking a Stand for the Powerless Majority...

It is often said that art can function as a commentary on the times; jazz reflected the "roaring twenties," and the peace-loving tunes of the 1970s supported the desire of America's youth to end the Vietnam War. However, some pieces of art are not so conspicuous in revealing their observations. One such piece of art is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum just after the climax of the Populist movement.

The idea for the analysis of this author and his work was derived from "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Parable on Populism," by Henry M. Littlefield. His essay focused on the numerous similarities between Baum's work and the United States during the late 1800s. We share his point of view that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was written as a children's story first and an allegory second. Specifically, Littlefield theorized that Baum concentrated on the development of the Populist movement and the pecuniary motives of the silverites. Littlefield opened the doorway to the symbolism of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for us. From this point, we began research on L. Frank Baum and his career, important figures in the Populist movement, silver versus gold, the election of 1896, the state of affairs in and around the Unites States in the 1890s, and the influence of the book on the twentieth century.

After giving ourselves an understanding of the information involved in these topics, we began to analyze The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and look for symbolism within the text. We attempted to relate the characters of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to prominent figures during the 1890s. In this process, we identified similar characteristics between Oz characters and historical figures. After this, we chose quotations from the text that supported our theories for Baum's symbolism. We also searched the text for a single theme that commonly appeared in each of his historical symbols. We found this theme to be Baum's personal belief that the powerless majority, although evidently suffering, was not really powerless; they had the ability to free themselves from the rule of the rich minority.

This topic addresses this year's theme, "Taking a Stand," by showing how L. Frank Baum wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as an allegory to convey his stand for the powerless majority during the late 1800s. Baum, like many other artists, used his writing to communicate his opinions of the world around him. However, this presentation was unconventional relative to the methods that other artists have used. The convention would be to write or produce artwork that focuses on the opinion at hand. Baum chose to focus on the children's story and made his opinions a secondary and latent issue. It was in this way that Baum took a stand for what he believed in.

The Gold Standard as the Yellow Brick Road...

"After a few hours the road began to be rough, and the walking grew so difficult that the Scarecrow often stumbled over the yellow brick, which were here very uneven. Sometimes, indeed, they were broken or missing altogether, leaving holes that Toto jumped across and Dorothy walked around. As for the Scarecrow, having no brains he walked straight ahead, and so stepped into the holes and fell full length on the hard bricks."

In the late 1890s, a major issue was the currency of the United States. The gold standard was perceived as insufficient and was already almost cornered by Jim Fisk and Jay Gould. Baum, like many others, favored bimetallism. Here, he reveals his opinion that although the gold standard had holes and obstacles, it could still last through the long haul.

Silver Coinage as the Silver Shoes...

"'The Witch of the East was proud of those silver shoes,' said one of the Munchkins; 'and there is some charm connected with them; but what it is we never knew.'"

"At that moment Dorothy saw lying on the table the silver shoes that had belonged to the Witch of the East. 'I wonder if they will fit me,' she said to Toto. 'They would be just the thing to take a long walk in, for they could not wear out.'"

Supporters of the silver movement argued that it had the elasticity and abundance to last for a long time. Dorothy likewise felt the silver shoes to "be just the thing to take a long walk in, for they could not wear out." Additionally, the Wicked Witch of the East was proud of the silver shoes because "there is some charm connected with them." The banker bosses during that time had the power to control money but the addition of silver to the gold standard would dampen their ability to hold power by money.

Uncle Sam as Dorothy

"She (the Witch of the West) looked down at Dorothy's feet, and seeing the Silver Shoes, began to tremble with fear, for she knew what a powerful charm belonged to them. At first the Witch was tempted to run away from Dorothy; but she happened to look into the child's eyes and saw how simple the soul behind them was, and that the little girl did not know of the wonderful power the Silver Shoes gave her."

In Baum's mind, the nation was unknowing and innocent. They always had the chance to implement silver, but they were too "simple" to realize its power. Dorothy owned the power of the silver shoes but was too innocent to recognize it. In this passage, Baum reveals his opinion that the railroad barons and banker bosses fed off of the innocence of the nation (Dorothy).

William Jennings Bryan as the Cowardly Lion...

"I learned that if I roared very loudly every living thing was frightened and got out of my way. Whenever I've met a man I've been awfully scared; but I just roared at him, and he has always run away as fast as he could go."

Bryan, who never actually won a presidential election, ran many times, including the 1896 election against William McKinley. In speeches such as the Cross of Gold, Bryan was known for his tremendous oratory skills. Baum symbolized his strong words but less powerful actions in the ways of the cowardly lion, who roared loudly but tightened with fear.

An Eastern Worker as the Tin Woodman...

"He (the Cowardly Lion) struck at the Tin Woodman with his sharp claws. But, to the Lion's surprise, he could make no impression on the tin, although the Woodman fell over in the road and lay still."

The eastern laborers of Baum's era were often cruelly subjected to long hours, low pay, and an inability to argue for themselves because labor unions were prohibited and the ones that existed were powerless. Baum noted in this passage how William Jennings Bryan could not get the vote of the worker during his election. Baum was taking a stand against the approach of the Populists and Bryan. He contended that the worker could find his own solution just as the Tin Woodman, in accepting his fake heart, found his own emotions.

A Midwestern Farmer as the Scarecrow

"As for the Scarecrow, having no brains he walked straight ahead, and so stepped into the holes and fell at full length on the hard bricks. It never hurt him, however, and Dorothy would pick him up and set him upon his feet again, while he joined her in laughing merrily at his own mishap."

Baum's experiences during the droughts that he observed in Aberdeen, SD made him sympathize for the farmer. He took a stand in favor of the motives of the common farmer as represented by the Scarecrow. For this character, Baum contradicted his theme, which pointed out that the individual could find the solution to his dilemma. Baum suggested for the Scarecrow that farmers do need some aid.

William McKinley and Mark Hanna as the Wizard of Oz...

"'No; you are all wrong,' said the little man, meekly. 'I have been making believe.'
'Making believe!' cried Dorothy. 'Are you not a great Wizard?'
'Hush, my dear,' he said; 'don't speak so loud, or you will be overheard--and I should be ruined. I'm supposed to be a Great Wizard.'
'And aren't you?' she asked.
'Not a bit of it, my dear; I'm just a common man.'
'You're more than that,' said the Scarecrow, in a grieved tone; 'you're a humbug.'"

"'What is that (a balloonist)?' asked Dorothy.
'A man who goes up in a balloon on circus day, so as to draw a crowd of people together and get them to pay to see the circus,' he explained."

Mark Hanna presented William McKinley, who won the election of 1896, as a great man and coerced the people into electing him, even though he was simply a common man. The Wizard of Oz was "supposed to be a Great Wizard," but was in reality just an ordinary man. Baum supported the common man and objected to Mark Hanna's dominance.

A Banker Boss as the Wicked Witch of the East

"'She was the wicked Witch of the East, as I said,' answered the little woman. 'She has held all the Munchkins in bondage for many years, making them slave for her night and day. Now they, are all set free, and are grateful to you for the favour.'"

The banker bosses during the late 1800s easily controlled manufacturing and business in the east using such methods as trusts and interlocking directorates. The common worker, especially the child worker, suffered at the expense of the profits of these banker bosses. In Oz, the Wicked Witch of the East held the Munchkins in bondage, who were forced to "slave for her night and day."

A Railroad Baron as the Wicked Witch of the West

"She (the Witch of the West) looked down at Dorothy's feet, and seeing the Silver Shoes, began to tremble with fear, for she knew what a powerful charm belonged to them. At first the Witch was tempted to run away from Dorothy; but she happened to look into the child's eyes and saw how simple the soul behind them was, and that the little girl did not know of the wonderful power the Silver Shoes gave her. So the Wicked Witch laughed to herself, and thought, 'I can still make her my slave, for she does not know how to use her power.' Then she said to Dorothy, harshly and severely, 'Come with me; and see that you mind everything that I tell you, for if you do not I will make an end to you, as I did of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow.'"

The monopolistic railroad barons of the late 1800s ruled over the common workers and farmers, controlling the farmers shipping expenses and manipulating the earnings of railroad workers. In the same way, the Wicked Witch of the West made an end to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow. Many people, including Baum, feared that the population of the US (Dorothy) would be the next victim.

The Plains Indians as the Winged Monkeys...

"'Once,' began the leader, 'we were a free people, living happily in the great forest, flying from tree to tree, eating nuts and fruit, and doing just as we pleased without calling anybody master. Perhaps some of us were rather too full of mischief at times, flying down to pull the tails of the animals that had no wings, chasing birds, and throwing nuts at the people who walked in the forest. But we were careless and happy and full of fun, and enjoyed every minute of the day. This was many years ago, long before Oz came out of the clouds to rule over this land.'"

The Plains Indians, in the 1890s, were unable to find a home anywhere in America. At this time, the frontier was dying out, and the US government was unable to send them west again. Baum explains the very similar situation the Winged Monkeys endured through in this passage.

Imperialism Represents the Cat and the Mouse...

"He (the Tin Woodman) saw a strange beast come bounding over the grass towards them. It was, indeed, a great, yellow wildcat, and the Woodman thought it must be chasing something, for its ears were lying close to its head and its mouth was wide open, showing two rows of ugly teeth, while its red eyes glowed like balls of fire. As it came nearer the Tin Woodman saw that running before the beast was a little gray field-mouse, and although he had no heart he knew it was wrong for the wildcat to harm such a pretty, harmless creature.
So the Woodman raised his axe, and as the wildcat ran by he gave it a quick blow that cut the beast's head clean off from its body, and it rolled over at his feet in two pieces."

America was entering the arena of worldwide imperialism in the 1890s. Baum was not a supporter of this movement. To support his stand against American imperialism, he incorporated this passage into the story. The passage illustrates the Tin Woodman's heart for the weaker creature as well as Baum's sympathies for the weaker country, which could have easily been the Philippines.

Geography of Oz...

East The eastern region of the land of Oz, the blue land of the Munchkins, paralleled the United States east coast. There was a distinctive slave-master relationship between the Munchkins and the Wicked Witch of the East that symbolized the mistreatment of eastern workers in factories, at banks, and at the voting booths.
West The west in Oz was inhabited by the Winged Monkeys and the Winkies. The Winged Monkeys were symbols of the plains Indians and the Winkies represented frontiersmen. Baum described the land with the words, "as they advanced the ground became rougher and hillier, for there were no farms nor houses in this country of the West, and the ground was untilled." These words could describe the terrain of Baum's South Dakota perfectly.
North Although, the travelers never encounter the land of the Gillikans during the first book, its purple color and mountainous terrain that are incorporated in later editions of the Oz collection suggest the areas of northern Michigan and Minnesota.
South The best connection between Baum's life and the southern land of the Quadlings was that Baum travelled through Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri selling china and he included a country of china having "a floor as smooth and shining and white as the bottom of a big platter. Scattered around were many houses made entirely of china."

Taking a Stand...

At first, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz seems to be the average, simple children's novel. However, further investigation of the plot and the political aspects of the author, L. Frank Baum, reveals an allegory that takes a stand for the powerless majority. Written in 1900, Oz symbolically portrays such figures as the eastern worker and the midwestern farmer as somewhat powerless; Baum believed that although these people suffered greatly, they also were able to solve their own problems. In this way, L. Frank Baum took a stand for this poweless majority, but in a unique fashion. Like other reformist writers of that period, such as Upton Sinclair, who wrote The Jungle, and Frank Norris, writer of The Octopus, Baum took a stand for what he felt was right. Unlike those writers, he did not directly voice his opnion; instead, he symbolically represented the significant aspects of the late 1800s and thus revealed his take on America. It is in this way that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz takes a stand for the powerless majority.

Re: Wizard of Oz(A parable on populism?) [Re: Ice] #358677
01/24/07 03:56 AM
01/24/07 03:56 AM
Detroit
ap_capone48101 Offline
Arsenal for the Double
ap_capone48101  Offline
Arsenal for the Double
Capo
Detroit
My US History teacher in 10th grade taught us this when we were covering those years. There does seem to be a lot of matches between the two.

Re: Wizard of Oz(A parable on populism?) [Re: ap_capone48101] #358678
01/24/07 04:00 AM
01/24/07 04:00 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
The great Stephen Colbert made references to these 'theories' tonight on his show while ripping on Hilary's lame reasoning for the movie being her favorite all time. Most of the audience probably thought he was simply joking, but it immediately made me want to research it again.

Re: Wizard of Oz(A parable on populism?) [Re: Ice] #358806
01/24/07 10:30 PM
01/24/07 10:30 PM
Gattone Offline
Wiseguy
Gattone  Offline
Wiseguy
Well, if Gulliver's Travels can be a commentary on 18th Century British politics, I suppose Oz could depict our country back in the late 19th. Childish humor and crafted carricatures; two birds with one stone.

I think you got hit by the thunderbolt

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull