Murcer Doing 'Fabulous' After Surgery; Hopes to Return to Booth in 2007

Quote:
Source: ESPN.com, AP

In a radio interview Tuesday, Bobby Murcer said he's doing "fabulous" in his battle against a malignant brain tumor and hopes to continue broadcasting Yankees games for the team's YES network this season.

Bobby Murcer tells ESPN Radio 1050's Michael Kay that his treatment for cancer is going well and he's overwhelmed by the support he has received. Listen

Appearing on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio 1050 in New York, Murcer took questions from callers and said he feels "blessed" with all the support he has received.

"I'm just doing absolutely fabulous ... I haven't had any setbacks of any kind," Murcer said.

Murcer said he's leaning on his faith and has a "real sense of calm."

"Whatever will be will be. I feel that through my faith that God will heal me," Murcer said.

Murcer, who currently is undergoing treatment for the tumor, said he plans on attending Yankees spring training in Tampa, Fla., if he feels well enough to do so.

"I plan on being back in the booth and spring training if all goes well," Murcer said.

The 60-year-old Murcer had surgery in Houston on Dec. 28 to remove the tumor. It was revealed this month that the tumor was malignant.

The tumor was discovered following an MRI exam on Christmas Eve after Murcer had been having headaches and feeling a loss of energy.

Murcer played 17 seasons in the major leagues from 1965-83 and was a five-time All-Star and a Gold Glove-winning outfielder. He batted .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs with the Yankees, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs.

Murcer has won three Emmy Awards for live sports coverage as one of the voices of the Yankees.

Great work Bobby, and we all hope to see you back as well.

BTW - Since he did the interview, anyone else here really can't stand Michael Kay besides me? In addition to just disliking his commentary and attitude, after finding out he beat his dog to death (which he confessed to on-air), I've relegated him to the "reprehensible piece of shit" category.