Bernie waiting to hear from Yankees

NEW YORK (AP) -- With spring training less than three weeks away, Bernie Williams still doesn't know whether he'll be back with the New York Yankees.

Williams' agent, Scott Boras, said Wednesday he was waiting to hear from general manager Brian Cashman. With the Yankees planning to carry 12 pitchers, use a platoon at first base and move Jason Giambi to designated hitter, there doesn't appear to be room on the roster for the 38-year-old Williams, who has been with the team since 1991.

"He's a very special player," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday. "Obviously, he's a unique individual that you try to take a great deal of time and effort and discussion as we go through the process."

It's possible the Yankees could agree to a minor league deal with Williams, a favorite of manager Joe Torre.

"If this is the end, there are no regrets," Williams was quoted as saying in Thursday's editions of The Journal News. "I gave it my best shot. One of the things I've always wanted was to gain the respect from my teammates, and I think I've done that. I may be a little goofy at times, but nobody can say I didn't play the game hard."

Williams spoke to the Westchester newspaper on Wednesday at Irvington Town Hall Theater, where the five-time All-Star played guitar with jazz guitarist Gil Parris.

"I have come to a place in my career where there are other things in my life that have become just as important as baseball," Williams told the paper.

Williams lost his job as the starting centerfielder last year to Johnny Damon. Melky Cabrera is slated to be New York's fourth outfielder.

"When you give a large chunk of your life to a team, it is hard. It's not like I am a journeyman," Williams was quoted as saying. "Part of me says if they wanted me, they would have made an offer by now. When you play this game for a long time, you take things for granted and think it won't end. But the harsh reality of it is, it will."

On another topic, Cashman said the Yankees still would like to sign Roger Clemens but are waiting for the seven-time Cy Young Award winner to decide whether he wants to pitch this year. If Clemens pitches, it will be for the Yankees, Houston or Boston.

"They know where we sit and how we feel," Cashman said of Clemens and agent Randy Hendricks. "Those feelings haven't changed. They're not new this year compared to last year or previous years."

Clemens, due in New York for a speaking engagement on Jan. 31, left the Yankees after the 2003 season and spent the last three years with his hometown Houston Astros. Robinson Cano already decided to switch from No. 22 to No. 24 to leave the number open for the Rocket.

"I thought Robby Cano volunteering to put his uniform out was an incredible, great gesture," Cashman said.

Cashman said fans should automatically expect that Clemens will follow Andy Pettitte back to New York.

"Do I feel that we have an inside track on the man? No," he said.

Pitcher J. Brent Cox, another Hendricks client, won't be at the major league spring training camp. After he went 6-2 with a 1.75 ERA and held batters to a .196 average at Double-A Trenton, the Yankees had planned to invite him.

"He injured his hand in a slight altercation," Hendricks said. "He won't be ready until minor league camp starts, so the decision was made to just start out in minor league camp. He has a slight fracture of a small bone in his hand. He should be fine when minor league camp starts."

Cashman said pitcher Carl Pavano, who hasn't pitched in the majors since June 2005 because of several injuries, is finally healthy.

"`He's not a rehab player going into spring training. He is going to be on the same timeframe," Cashman said.

At some point, the Yankees will have a formal meeting with Pavano to discuss possible discipline over his decision last year to withhold that he had injured ribs in a car accident.

"That dialogue is going on as we speak," Cashman said. Notes: Yankees chief operating officer Lonn Trost had a mild heart attack while attending last week's owners' meetings in Phoenix. Trost could be back at work as early as next week, the Yankees said.

Source: SI