Originally Posted By: Double-J

Keep in mind that Truman came out of his Presidency with the lowest approval rating of any President in history. Yet, he is widely considered by many (including myself) to rank in the upper echelons of greatest American presidents.

That's true, and President Bush is placing a large burden on history to decide upon his fate as a former president.

It seemed though, with Korea, we went to ward the communists out of the south we pushed them up to the 38th and left (after fluctuation and resistance from the communists and the Chinese). With Iraq, it's a much more complex task we're struggling to achieve. You can ask many different sources what we are doing in Iraq, and you may get different answers, but there was only one Korea, and there was only one Harry Truman. We originally invaded Iraq in search of WMD's, and now we're there to liberate them, but you've got a civil war, several trillions later, we're still in there, but nothing's working. We say that if we just pull out now, it will break out into mass chaos and terrorists will seek to end us, but if we stick around, it may happen. We're in a shit situation.

Will we be able to install a republic that can control the violent groups which currently reside there? I don't know. Regardless of whether or not I agree with the action this administration has taken, I hope they can get us out of it, or that we can at least elect someone in 2008 who has some idea.

"Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so"-Gore Vidal
"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and enemy of growth"-John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"The reason the mainstream is thought of as a stream is because of its shallowness"-George Carlin