GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 111 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 68,998
DE NIRO 44,952
J Geoff 31,300
Hollander 26,406
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,611
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,828
Posts1,069,949
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? #36061
01/10/06 04:18 PM
01/10/06 04:18 PM
Cristina's Way Offline OP
Underboss
Cristina's Way  Offline OP
Underboss
Oops! blush blush I thought that WAS about the board and ways to tweak the votes.

I should have known this board was run too securely and professionally for hackers or computerphiles or other quick witted types to play around with the polls. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

So how does someone change his/her vote? Has anyone ever wanted to do that before?

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: plawrence] #388090
04/23/07 09:56 PM
04/23/07 09:56 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
There is no way of knowing if Fredo would set Mikey up again... but you cant chance it.

FWIW - Fredo wanted what Mikey had... so he would IMO set him up again

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: ScarFather] #388146
04/24/07 09:12 AM
04/24/07 09:12 AM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Nevermind

Last edited by FrankWhite; 04/24/07 09:13 AM. Reason: I see now. my apologies

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: ScarFather] #388155
04/24/07 09:20 AM
04/24/07 09:20 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: The_ScarFather
There is no way of knowing if Fredo would set Mikey up again... but you cant chance it.

FWIW - Fredo wanted what Mikey had... so he would IMO set him up again

You just don't have your own brother killed. Especially one like Fredo. That was cold and heartless. He killed his mother's son, he killed his father's son.

Let me ask you this : Do you think that Vito would have had his brother killed had he been put into the same situation?

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388166
04/24/07 10:35 AM
04/24/07 10:35 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Fredo would definitely have done it again. I may be repeating myself here because I don't want to go back and reread what was posted, but I think that, until the boathouse, Michael was willing to believe that Fredo was duped. He innocently talked too much to the wrong people.

But in the boathouse, Michael finally sees that Fredo is MAD. He's angry and resentful of Michael's success. He can't be angry at his father, because he loved Vito too much, but he truly believes that he was capable of taking over the Family, and that Michael was pushed ahead of him. He's FURIOUS at this, and his jealousy would have caused him to try and set Michael up again one day. He was not only envious of Michael's position and power, but his marriage and children, too.

Michael killed Fredo to protect all of his interests, personal and business, since they were intertwined. It was the one sin he committed that he couldn't live with, but it was necessary.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #388167
04/24/07 10:56 AM
04/24/07 10:56 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Fredo would have done it again except there would be no one stupid enough to use Fredo to get to Mike.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #388168
04/24/07 10:58 AM
04/24/07 10:58 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
But in the boathouse, Michael finally sees that Fredo is MAD. He's angry and resentful of Michael's success. He can't be angry at his father, because he loved Vito too much, but he truly believes that he was capable of taking over the Family, and that Michael was pushed ahead of him. He's FURIOUS at this, and his jealousy would have caused him to try and set Michael up again one day. He was not only envious of Michael's position and power, but his marriage and children, too.

Michael killed Fredo to protect all of his interests, personal and business, since they were intertwined. It was the one sin he committed that he couldn't live with, but it was necessary.

That's where I come out, SB. Michael may have been willing to give his brother a pass prior to that scene. He might have been persuaded that Fredo's stupidity made him a victim of Roth's guiles and an "unwitting" participant in the hit attempt. But the outburst showed Michael all the pent-up rage and resentment Fredo had been harboring, was still harboring--and no doubt would have continued to harbor as long as he was alive. No way he could have felt safe forever.
DC, I agree with you that Michael's "forgiving" Fredo and keeping him at the compound was supremely cold-hearted and manipulative. But that was Michael.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Turnbull] #388171
04/24/07 11:18 AM
04/24/07 11:18 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
I don't know here. I'm 50 / 50 on this. After Mike "forgives" Fredo at his mother's wake, Fredo seems at ease (which was Mike's intent of course). Part of me believes that Fredo felt that Mike was sincere in forgiving him, and that he was finaly off the hook. At that point I don't know if Fredo would have taken another opportunity to go against Mike, or do something behind his back again. I think that Fredo realized that he was duped the first time, and was too scared to ever let himself get duped again into doing something behind Mike's back.

And in my thinking this way, the question is, did Fredo intentionally set up Mike, or did he really think that he was just spiting Mike and getting even with him by trying to make a deal on his own?. Personally I think that he was fooled by Ola and Roth. I don't believe that he ever intended to have Mike physically hurt. His dealing with Ola was more out of anger of being passed over and he thought that it was his chance to finally show Mike that he was smart and could do things on his own. I don't think that there was ever a intent on Fedo's part to physically hurt Mike or help have him killed. Fedo had too much of a heart to go that far. And that is why I think that Fredo learned his lesson and would never make that mistake again concerning Michael's well being.

Michael was a son of a bitch to have Fredo killed.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388174
04/24/07 11:34 AM
04/24/07 11:34 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I agree that Fredo was duped. However, Michael realized after the boathouse seen that Fredo was a ch*nk in the Family's armor. To allow him to live, he would have left the Family, and subsequently his family, vulnerable to another attack. Remember, although Michael forgave Fredo, how much longer until that resentment built up again? Oh, sure, let Fredo take Anthony fishing. Oh, sure, make Fredo stay at the compound all the time. Oh, sure, even Connie is making decisions, while Fredo becomes the babysitter!

Fredo's guilt is apparent in the Havana scene. He questions why he and Michael never had more of those talks, spent more time together. Obviously, he is thinking that his brother's love is apparent to him for the first time (You're no gypsy, Fredo) and thinking to himself, Ah! If I had only known!

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388175
04/24/07 11:37 AM
04/24/07 11:37 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

And in my thinking this way, the question is, did Fredo intentionally set up Mike, or did he really think that he was just spiting Mike and getting even with him by trying to make a deal on his own?. Personally I think that he was fooled by Ola and Roth.
Michael was a son of a bitch to have Fredo killed.

No, he was a lousy cold hearted bastard

Fredo says that Michael was being tough on some negotiations and that Ola proomised Fredo there would be something in it for him if he could get Michael soften up. He then says he "didn't know it was going to be a hit." So taking Fredo at his word, what did he think? Was he supposed to go to Michael and say, "Hey Mikey, I hear you are being tough on some negotiations with Hyman Roth, why don't you ease up?" I can imagine how that one would go over. Which brings us back to the drapes. "Open the drapes the night of Anthony's Communion party and that will make Mike come to his senses about the negotiations?" Was Fredo THAT stupid?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #388176
04/24/07 11:41 AM
04/24/07 11:41 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Fredo's guilt is apparent in the Havana scene. He questions why he and Michael never had more of those talks, spent more time together. Obviously, he is thinking that his brother's love is apparent to him for the first time (You're no gypsy, Fredo) and thinking to himself, Ah! If I had only known!

Good point SB. Fredo seems outright angry when he says "Why didn;t we spend time like this before," and "I wish I'd married a woman like you did." (BTW is this some clue about Fredo's sexuality? I wish I married a WOMAN???? Was Deanna a drag queen?)

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: dontomasso] #388179
04/24/07 11:45 AM
04/24/07 11:45 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
But we don't know if it was Fredo who opened the drapes. I believe that FFC would have made it a point to let us know at some point if it was Fredo.

I just think that he was dumb and really did not think that there was going to be a hit attempt on Mike. He even confirms this in his telephone conversation with Ola. "You guys lied to me."

Fredo was just stupid.

Now if Mike had him killed because he felt that Fredo's STUPIDITY could be a threat to his life, then that's a different story. But after Fredo's outburst I believe that Michael took it as if Fredo INTENTIONALLY set him up and betrayed him knowing that an attempt was going to be made on his life and that is why he had Fredo killed.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388180
04/24/07 11:52 AM
04/24/07 11:52 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Now if Mike had him killed because he felt that Fredo's STUPIDITY could be a threat to his life, then that's a different story. But after Fredo's outburst I believe that Michael took it as if Fredo INTENTIONALLY set him up and betrayed him knowing that an attempt was going to be made on his life and that is why he had Fredo killed.

I think that Fredo's stupidity is part of it. Fredo was stupid, envious and resentful, a very dangerous combination. I don't believe that Michael thought of his brother as a killer. I think that when he saw the depth of Fredo's anger in the boathouse, combined with how gullible he was, he knew that the combination could prove lethal. And that's why he had to have his brother eliminated before he could do harm again.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388182
04/24/07 11:54 AM
04/24/07 11:54 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Something else sticks in my craw re. the Havana scene:
In the boathouse confrontation later, Fredo says, "I swear to God I didn't know it was going to be a hit. Johnny Ola bumped into me in Beverly Hills...he said there'd be somethin' in it for me..." Sounds like the kind of simpleminded, impulsive, greedy move that a dunce like Fredo would have taken, without thinking of the consequences.
But then I'm reminded of the Superman scene in Havana. How did Fredo find the place? "Johnny Ola brought me here...old man Roth would never come here but Johnny knows these places like the back of his hand." So now I infer that Fredo didn't just "bump into" Ola in Beverly Hills. It wasn't just some spur-of-the-moment decision. Evidently he was, unbeknownst to Michael, meeting with Ola (and probably Roth) in Havana previously. What were they doing in Havana--tarpon fishing? Visiting sex shows? Or, were Ola and Roth showing Fredo the empire that Fredo could run once his brother was out of the way?

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Turnbull] #388186
04/24/07 11:58 AM
04/24/07 11:58 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
previously. What were they doing in Havana--tarpon fishing? Visiting sex shows?

Both

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: dontomasso] #388187
04/24/07 12:09 PM
04/24/07 12:09 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Good point Turnbull. But then again we don't know if they were fooling Fredo into believing that if he helped them out, things would work out for the Corleones and Michael would realize that it was Fredo who was instrumental in making things work and then would have to reward Fredo for "doing a good job." Or perhaps they fooled Fredo into thinking that if he helped out, they would make sure that Michael would give him a piece of the pie.

There are so many scenerios that we can create out of the Fredo situation, but I guess we'll never really know.

I just cannot believe that Fredo KNEW that they were going to hit Mike.

Don Cardi cool

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388193
04/24/07 12:26 PM
04/24/07 12:26 PM
Huntsville, AL
FrankWhite Offline
Capo
FrankWhite  Offline
Capo
Huntsville, AL
Good points by both of you guys! But, I have to go with DC when I say of course Fredo had no idea it was gonna be a hit, otherwise, why would FFC show us the scene with Fredo in the bed on the telephone being scared and remorsefull??? There was no one there but him (except his loser wife). He has no reason to put up a "front". He's seriously remorsefull and was completely oblivious.

"From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn." (King of New York)
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Don Cardi] #388194
04/24/07 12:30 PM
04/24/07 12:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York

I just cannot believe that Fredo KNEW that they were going to hit Mike.

Well, we can agree on that point. To me, though, that's what makes Fredo all the more dangerous to keep around.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: FrankWhite] #388195
04/24/07 12:32 PM
04/24/07 12:32 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I still don't understand what it was Fredo thought he was going to do to get Mike to go easy on the "negotiations." It is even more perplexing that Fredo seemed legitimately clueless about the family making an investment with Roth in Havana. What other "negotiations" were going on? It wasnt over the Tropicala because Ola already told Mike that Roth gave the ok to the deal.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: dontomasso] #388220
04/24/07 01:41 PM
04/24/07 01:41 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I still don't understand what it was Fredo thought he was going to do to get Mike to go easy on the "negotiations." It is even more perplexing that Fredo seemed legitimately clueless about the family making an investment with Roth in Havana. What other "negotiations" were going on? It wasnt over the Tropicala because Ola already told Mike that Roth gave the ok to the deal.

It could have been over the Tropicala. We don't know how long ago Fredo "bumped into" Ola. But, really, I doubt they told Fredo, and I doubt he even thought to ask. He was blinded by the opportunity to make something on his own.

The late-night phone call shows that Fredo realizes he was lied to, making it likely that he didn't know it was a hit. But the question remains: What information did Fredo provide Roth, and how could he have possibly thought it would have helped in a negotiation?

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: The Last Woltz] #388800
04/26/07 11:27 AM
04/26/07 11:27 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
 Originally Posted By: The Last Woltz
I doubt they told Fredo, and I doubt he even thought to ask. He was blinded by the opportunity to make something on his own.

Yes. A constant theme in the Trilogy is "carelessness" (Vito's term) caused when greed, lust for revenge, yearning for power, etc., lead people into idiotic mistakes. Logically,did Paulie think he could get away with calling in "sick" on the day Vito was shot? Did Carlo think that the family wouldn't connect his beating of Connie with Sonny's assassination?
And did Fredo think that whatever "help" he gave Roth and Ola wouldn't result in harm to his brother? Did he care?

Quote:
The late-night phone call shows that Fredo realizes he was lied to, making it likely that he didn't know it was a hit.

Maybe. But the "lie" he protested also might have been an earlier assurance by Ola that the hit would be neat, clean and successful.
 Quote:
But the question remains: What information did Fredo provide Roth, and how could he have possibly thought it would have helped in a negotiation?

Well, that's one of two closely related, long-term $64,000 unanswered questions on these boards. The other is: who killed the Tahoe shooters?

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Turnbull] #388828
04/26/07 12:09 PM
04/26/07 12:09 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

[quote=TurnbullWell, that's one of two closely related, long-term $64,000 unanswered questions on these boards. The other is: who killed the Tahoe shooters? [/quote]

Not to mention how they could tell the shooters were hired out of New York.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: dontomasso] #388829
04/26/07 12:11 PM
04/26/07 12:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
[quote=TurnbullWell, that's one of two closely related, long-term $64,000 unanswered questions on these boards. The other is: who killed the Tahoe shooters?

Not to mention how they could tell the shooters were hired out of New York. [/quote]
Rocco found Metrocards in their pockets. ;\)

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Turnbull] #388831
04/26/07 12:13 PM
04/26/07 12:13 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
[quote=TurnbullWell, that's one of two closely related, long-term $64,000 unanswered questions on these boards. The other is: who killed the Tahoe shooters?

Rocco found Metrocards in their pockets. ;\) [/quote]

I was gonna say that!!

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: pizzaboy] #388886
04/26/07 02:51 PM
04/26/07 02:51 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Rocco found Metrocards in their pockets. ;\)

I was gonna say that!! [/quote]

Back in the '50's it would have to have been subway tokens.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: The Last Woltz] #388954
04/26/07 06:56 PM
04/26/07 06:56 PM
ScarFather Offline
Capo
ScarFather  Offline
Capo
I think Mike knew before the boathouse scene that he was going to have to get rid of Fredo. He only went in their to get information about Roth and the investigation IMO.

"Fredo... dont ever take sides against the family again... EVER!" - I think Mike really meant it and was letting it be known that he would pay for that.

In Mikes mind... Fredo had betrayed Mike more than just the shooting in his bedroom.... w/ Moe Green etc...

It was him or Fredo. He chose to live. Thats about all their is to it.

"What I want.... whats most important to me... is that I have a guarantee" - Train approaches.... Bang! Bang! Bang!
Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: dontomasso] #388955
04/26/07 06:59 PM
04/26/07 06:59 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Back in the '50's it would have to have been subway tokens.

15-cent tokens at that. Maybe the gunmen had "Miss Rheingold" subway cards on them.

Re: Would Fredo have done it again? [Re: Cristina's Way] #391908
05/09/07 09:52 PM
05/09/07 09:52 PM
I
Ice Offline
Underboss
Ice  Offline
I
Underboss
This is an AMAZING discussion. I would have never thought that Fredo had different intentions than those he signaled in the boat house to Mike. But...after Fredo tells Mike that he didn't know it was going to be a hit, Mike asks him...you believed that story? Fredo's reaction is... they said there was somethin' in it for me. I sense that this suggests that Fredo's logic about the hit on Mike was clouded by his own greed.

However...I do not think that Fredo would have done it again.

Granted...he might have slipped up again had Mike not killed him. But...Mike sure killed him.

He told Mike that he didn't know it was going to be a hit. I "believe" him.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull