Amen, Dona! That's the single most persuasive reason that I think Michael was wholly unjustified in killing Fredo, and I really believe that FFC crafted Fredo's death and the closing scene to drive that impact home to the audience.

Why did the murder of Fredo haunt Michael for the rest of his life if Fredo was so dangerous that "he HAD to go"?

Michael was never troubled for a moment by the killing of long-time associate Tessio; the killing of his father's colleague, Roth; the killing of brother-in-law Carlo -- and understandably so, because these men were true traitors who meant to kill Michael or who had already killed someone in Michael's family. Why did Fredo's death feel so different, so tragic? The flashback scene alone made it undeniable to me that Michael regretted the act the moment it was committed, and the film ended on the sombre note that a terrible, irrevocable mistake had been made.
originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
After all, Fredo was responsible for gunmen shooting up Michael's home.
Excuse me? wink HYMAN ROTH was responsible for gunmen shooting up Michael's home. Do you think Hyman Roth would have given up on his assassination attempt on Michael if he couldn't get Fredo on board? Absolutely not. He would have found another time or place.

Fredo is not the enemy here, people. Weak, bumbling Fredo, who wanted to earn a bit of self-respect and who wanted some brotherly respect, lacked the savvy to be skeptical of all criminals bearing gifts. I'm convinced it would have been a lesson he would never have forgotten had he lived; and hence, he would never be a danger.

The danger is a career criminal like Hyman Roth who wouldn't bat an eye to murder a rival and that rival's wife and small children if they happened to be in the way. The danger is Michael himself for crossing powerful and unscrupulous gangsters like Roth and trying to edge in on their territory. But, of course, Michael rationalizes and is blind to his own mistakes; therefore, he blames Fredo. Don't fall into his trap! wink
originally posted by dontomasso:
It would only have been a matter of time before Fredo betreayed him again. For instance, had Fredo been alive in GF III, who knows what would have happened....perhaps security at the Opera House would be botched and Mary would have ended up dead.
dontomasso, you've just proven my point! Gunmen weaved their way around the Opera House and Mary did end up dead even though Fredo had nothing to do with it. The stupid and dangerous one was Michael, who continued to alternately court, defy, and challenge ruthless mafia kingpins. Furthermore, he attends the opera after being warned that an assassin is pinpointing him and he surrounds himselft with his whole family, not even bothering to warn them.

Now tell me again that Fredo is the one he needs protection from. No, Michael does fine putting putting his and his family's lives in danger all by himself.